PDA

View Full Version : Looking into a A4

Sniper512
03-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I used to have a B5 S4, but sold it and now I am looking for a A4 for me. I was just wondering what I would be looking for and what to look out for. Is this car easier to work on than a S4 eg. Turbo swaps and just general maintenance? This would most likely turn into a project car of sorts so BT is going to be a must.

bassed
03-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I used to have a B5 S4, but sold it and now I am looking for a A4 for my. I was just wondering what I would be looking for and what to look out for. Is this car easier to work on than a S4 eg. Turbo swaps and just general maintenance? This would most likely turn into a project car of sorts so BT is going to be a must.

Much easier, it doesn't take 18hrs to swap a turbo on a 1.8T. You'll find a ton of B5 A4's over the 150k mark running stong and some over 200k. Maintenance is fairly straight forward comparatively to a B5 S4 as well. I'd look for a 2001.

How big of a BT/BAT? Would you want a complete project car right off by any chance or do you want to build it all up yourself over time?

fikes
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
why you trying to sell your car its sick. its to late to get the money back you put into it. just keep it.

bassed
03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
why you trying to sell your car its sick. its to late to get the money back you put into it. just keep it.

Many reasons, if I took that kind of advice in other areas as well I would have 113.36 today in my 401k. I pulled and still walked away after taxes with more than my contribution over 3 years at a 7% match. It has nothing to do with trying to get the money I put in back. I'll just toss several little reasons out.... house, Thesis, school loans, riding my bike and taking the train, put 400 miles on in 4 months and I don't miss it or feel like I once did when I get in it or watch a video of it or look at pics, wanting to do more in life and I have been in this car for over 6 years now. Sometimes it's better just to walk away and start new chapters in life.

Sniper512
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Thats all good to hear. I am more wanting a close to stock car with a few minor mods. I like doing things from the ground up if possible, but if the right deal comes along you never know. What kind of work is involved to swap the turbo or say a clutch? As for a BT I would look along the lines of a gt30 or a bit bigger for sure and a built motor of course. What kind of power can the stock engine and 6 speed handle?

fikes
03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
stock engine can handle about a gt28 elim and that's possibly pushing it. I would say nothing more than 300.

Sniper512
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
That's still good though. Is that whp? Also I would most likely be building the motor anyways so bigger it might be. I really just hated how difficult everything was on the S4's. The A4 just seems the smarter choice. Don't get me wrong the S4 was badass all the torque and instant boost you could ever want, but blowing turbos on them suck big time lol.

njm23
03-01-2009, 09:40 PM
~300whp is a general saying by a lot of people of when rods are needed/good idea. Yes, the work is much easier to do, turbo swap can be done in a couple hours depending on what your doing. Mush easier to work on..

Sniper512
03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice thanks for all your help when I get it I'll report back.