PDA

View Full Version : Radiator DIY?

shaahid
03-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Looking for a step by step guide to replace my radiator. I've searched but can't really find a good guide with pictures.

matthai5
03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
You can follow the first part of the timing belt diy http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng35.shtml
It will tell you how to remove everything in front of the radiator and how to remove it.
Shouldn't be too hard of a job.

Seerlah
03-01-2009, 11:23 AM
http://servicemanual.blogspot.com/2008/07/audi-a4-service-manual.html

You should find what you need in a download similar to this one, or you can use this one if you choose. I just don't know if it contains any virusus or not (quick google search). The Bentley manual is a good investment.

somebody5788
03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Dont even need a diy its very self explanatory once you get the bumper off. Should only take like 1 hour for your first time including bumper removal.

Artiemas
07-11-2013, 07:13 AM
I plan on finding a DTM edition B7. One day...

How not to Audizine

Keep two A4 B5 threads open.

98A4TurboAWD
07-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Dont even need a diy its very self explanatory once you get the bumper off. Should only take like 1 hour for your first time including bumper removal.

I agree it's easy but 1 hour is in a perfect world. More than likely if nothing has been removed in the past he is going to have a hell of a time getting his hoses on and off and getting the trans cooler lines in and out is going to be a PITA, and could possibly break/or leak after replacing the new radiator.

In my experience, getting those "quick release" hoses back into the radiator, especially on the bottom where it's hard to reach, is going to be very hard, as it takes a ton of pressure to get it to snap in. That's how mine was anyway.

Mad Cow
07-11-2013, 01:41 PM
I agree it's easy but 1 hour is in a perfect world. More than likely if nothing has been removed in the past he is going to have a hell of a time getting his hoses on and off and getting the trans cooler lines in and out is going to be a PITA, and could possibly break/or leak after replacing the new radiator.

In my experience, getting those "quick release" hoses back into the radiator, especially on the bottom where it's hard to reach, is going to be very hard, as it takes a ton of pressure to get it to snap in. That's how mine was anyway.

I've never had issues with the quick disconnects. The key is to clean up the connections on both sides, lube them up with fresh coolant and jiggle them as you're pushing them in.

98A4TurboAWD
07-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I've never had issues with the quick disconnects. The key is to clean up the connections on both sides, lube them up with fresh coolant and jiggle them as you're pushing them in.

It depends on the car. I am not a noob and it was a PITA even for me. Even after cleaning the hell out of them and lubing them up real nice it was still a pain to get in. I was afraid something was going to break, honestly.

He could very well have a car that slips on and off easily but I'm just saying thats in a perfect world.