PDA

View Full Version : Installed Indash then HID acting weird

Glenns Audi
02-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Long Story Short.

Got an indash installed then my driverside HID works really low or does not turn on at all. Also when turning on my headlights I hear a staticky sound on my front passenger side speaker.

I'm guessing the person that wired them connected the power that relates to my HID and speaker?

Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

Glenns Audi
02-28-2009, 04:47 PM
help please. =)

Seerlah
02-28-2009, 06:15 PM
What do you mean by in dash? An aftermarket head unit? But you could try upping the amperage on the fuse for the driver's side headlamp to 20 amps if you think he plugged into that circuit for whatever reason. See what happens after that.

Glenns Audi
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
yes an indash tv/navi. ill try changing the amp.

what explanation can you think of that my passenge side speaker statics when the headlights are turned on or off.

Seerlah
03-01-2009, 04:52 AM
If he tapped into the headlight circuit, he is drawing more power than what that circuit has (as it was designed specifically for the headlamp and Audi set the amperage accordingly). You can be having the static noise because he is drawing wattage that the speaker needs or a connection issue elsewhere. Or maybe the speaker is just on it's last leg.

NoTec
03-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Does the HID problem persist with the radio turned off?

v1nyd
03-01-2009, 09:58 AM
hearing static when your HID's go on is normal, happens to a lot of people...it's because of the watts the HID uses...I think if you place them in a difference spot it may not be as noticeable

Glenns Audi
03-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Does the HID problem persist with the radio turned off?

Yes it does.

Also I looked into it more. Will the ballast being loose be a culprit? I remember it just hanging before.

v1nyd
03-01-2009, 05:31 PM
It's possible, the ballast interferes with the air signals causing static

NoTec
03-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Yes it does.

Also I looked into it more. Will the ballast being loose be a culprit? I remember it just hanging before.

So just to ensure that I have this correct, before the install of the head unit, there was no issue with the HID system at all or the factory radio/speakers. Now after the install, the driver's side headlight is dim and there is static in the pass. side speakers during initial power-up of the headlamps. And this low headlight issue and static issue occur even with the radio powered completely off?

I would have the radio removed and ensure that the wiring is correct. Make sure the ground wire for the radio is actually connected to the correct wire in the harness. Ensure that there are no unused wires in the aftermarket harness touching metal or any other bare unused wires. Unplug the radio to see if the problem goes away.

Typically, the parking light wire/dimmer/illumination wire would be the only connection made to the lighting circuit. Ensure that the correct wire was used there.

Also, you shouldn't have components just "hanging" in your engine bay. Electrical shorts and fires go hand in hand with Vag cars.

Glenns Audi
03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
wow, thank you.

and yes those problems did not occure before the install.