PDA

View Full Version : oil change blues

MOtown A4
02-27-2009, 06:10 AM
so everyone know winter in michigan SUCKS! i wasnt about to get under my car and change the oil myself in this weather, and it NEEDED it, so i took it to the local Jiffy lube to have the oil changed. im fine with what i paid for it, but im not fine with the results. i pulled in and immediately asked what synthetics they carried, and they told me mobile 1. i said fine, fill it up with 5W30, as its starting to get warmer. they finish and start it up and i hear a terrible noise, sounding like my engine is dry. they tell me it might have just been a little dry to start. ANYWAY, now when i cold start it it idles at 1200 rpm and it kinda chokes or coughs about 100 rpm sounds like crap, and makes me worry, any ideas?

jaustin
02-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Common man 15 min is all it takes and we do get some warm days once and awhile.

prey
02-27-2009, 07:10 AM
so everyone know winter in michigan SUCKS! i wasnt about to get under my car and change the oil myself in this weather, and it NEEDED it, so i took it to the local Jiffy lube to have the oil changed. im fine with what i paid for it, but im not fine with the results. i pulled in and immediately asked what synthetics they carried, and they told me mobile 1. i said fine, fill it up with 5W30, as its starting to get warmer. they finish and start it up and i hear a terrible noise, sounding like my engine is dry. they tell me it might have just been a little dry to start. ANYWAY, now when i cold start it it idles at 1200 rpm and it kinda chokes or coughs about 100 rpm sounds like crap, and makes me worry, any ideas?

you have to dig deeper at the problem, but always use 5W40 full synthetic or 0W40 Mobil 1. I always used 5w40 when i switched from 0W40, both are good oils but I noticed my engine ran quieter with the 5w40.

Seerlah
02-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Problem one was going to Jiffy Lube. There are waaayyyy too many stories about them, including a news report on how they scam people. But as metioned above, you need to figure the problem. First, I would check if they placed sufficient amounts of oil in the motor (and 5w30 is for the winter and 5w40 is for the summer). You should also check the filter to see if it fits properly;leaking (shops like that do not always use correct filters).

I don't know about the choking part, but after the cold start you are saying it idles at 1200 after the engine semi-warms up? Does it sit like that then idle back down to 800RPM 45sec-2min later?

ghost6303
02-27-2009, 10:08 AM
they finish and start it up and i hear a terrible noise, sounding like my engine is dry. they tell me it might have just been a little dry to start.

last thing i read on jiffy lube was a story where someone took their audi there for an oil change. the 17 year old highschool drop out that did the service pulled the drain plug on the transmission thinking it was the oil pan and then put another 5 quarts of motor oil in the engine, so the trans was empty and the engine has twice as much as it should have.

they also mix up 2.8 and 1.8t a lot, even if you tell them exactly what engine you have. those engines take different amounts of oil. are you even sure the idiot with the wrench remembered to put new oil back into it? i wouldnt put it past them to forget. if they started it without any oil, i would go pull the drain plug and look for pieces of bearings floating around in it.

buck
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Your problem is that you went to Jiffy Lube!

Did you check the level to make sure it wasn't over-filled?

B5A4Kevin
02-27-2009, 10:46 AM
pretty much the consensus is change it somewhere else, or do it yourself. i prefer the latter to avoid this kind of issue. i've read on audigeeks.com that since mobil 1 changed formulas to the "supersyn" crap, it has resulted in more consumption due to lower flashpoint (more detergents=less good stuff), and more valve train noise. the oil may have something to do with it, but ultimately, dont take your car to the 'lube.

Side-Step
03-09-2009, 07:12 AM
I have noticed more engine noise for the past few oil changes using 0w40 Mobile1. I have also noticed more oil comsumption. Im going with 5w40 next. I'll see what happens.

turbo kraut
03-09-2009, 07:32 AM
wow.......... has anyone one this forum personally had any issues with jiffy lube or are you just taking he said she said and running with it?

i manage a jiffy lube in stl and i am not going to say that evey one is "great".... but dealerships can do the same stupid shit....... thing is the customer is not sitting there watching what the dealership does

we have a filter that is very equivilant to the mann filter....... so that isn't the issue....... and most cars after you drain them till you get oil flowing will sound "dry" cause they are....... that is one reason why i fill my filter about 1/4 to 1/2 full

they are not stupid, they look at your engine/catalyst to see what motor is in your car, if they don't know or it is debadged.........

the chocking other stuff could be a vac leak

BADB5A4
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I think the point is that there was an immediate issue after it was brought there. Even if, in a parallel universe, they had an Audi engineer doing the work they would be suspect simply by default of being the last ones under the car.

So in the real world, where Joe-Roy, the only one in middle school who can drive to class is the one doing the changes...I would say "yea" its not un reason-able to suspect taking it there was the issue.

If I were you, I would change it out again myself because you have no idea what they actually put in. Just chalk it as a learning experience and save your engine [rolleyes]... if its that much of a pain invest in a top-side extractor

Seerlah
03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
wow.......... has anyone one this forum personally had any issues with jiffy lube or are you just taking he said she said and running with it?

I am going by he say, she say. But the results are pretty persuasive.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260393&highlight=jiffy+lube
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258972&highlight=jiffy+lube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfidE7zpxU&feature=related

B5A4Kevin
03-09-2009, 09:28 AM

i personally have seen 2 b5 a4's (one avant w/ 2.8l) towed in to have rebuilt engines put in because of Oil-Outs. Jiffy Lube did step up and cover the bill, but it shouldn't have needed an engine in the first place if the service was performed correctly.

ive also seen on a few occasions, people at quick lube/jiffy/tires plus/other stores double gasket oil filters because they just dont have the experience/knowledge/motivation to do one of the most routine maintenance operations properly.

i manage a jiffy lube in stl and i am not going to say that evey one is "great".... but dealerships can do the same stupid shit.......

i can't speak for your store, or any other store in the nation for that matter, but this is my personal experience with non-dealership facilities. i dont know what happend with the OP's car. i wasnt there. but the main difference between a dealership and a quickstop/jiffylube/ or any other light repair and maintenance facility isn't parts, equipment or shop supplies. its experience. theres a difference between a high school auto tech student and a dealer trained technician with multiple years experience working on your specific model. ultimately, if you want to be absolutely sure what's done to your vehicle, do it yourself.

thing is the customer is not sitting there watching what the dealership does

Believe me Dealerships get plenty of clients that choose to wait, and some times watch, while their vehicle is getting serviced. it pisses me off with some1 over your shoulder watching everything you do, but you should be just as careful and attentive to their vehicle if they are waiting/watching or not. i try to treat every car i work on as if it was mine. can you say the same for a 16 year old kid that drives a honda?

calvin1.8t
03-09-2009, 09:46 AM
next time you get your oil changed and dont wanna do it yourself take it to an audi service cuz they wont fuck up your car and its only a little bit more.

turbo kraut
03-09-2009, 09:59 AM
i personally have seen 2 b5 a4's (one avant w/ 2.8l) towed in to have rebuilt engines put in because of Oil-Outs. Jiffy Lube did step up and cover the bill, but it shouldn't have needed an engine in the first place if the service was performed correctly.

ive also seen on a few occasions, people at quick lube/ jiffy/ tires plus/ other stores double gasket oil filters because they just dont have the experience or know how, to do one of the most routine maintenance operations.

i can't speak for your store, or any other store in the nation for that matter, but this is my personal experience with non-dealership facilities. i dont know what happend with the OP's car. i wasnt there. but the main difference between a dealership and a quickstop/jiffylube/ or any other light repair and maintenance facility isn't parts, equipment or shop supplies. its experience. theres a difference between a high school auto tech student and a dealer trained technician with multiple years experience working on your specific model. ultimately, if you want to be absolutely sure what's done to your vehicle, do it yourself.

Believe me Dealerships get plenty of clients that choose to wait, and some times watch, while their vehicle is getting serviced. it pisses me off with some1 over your shoulder watching everything you do, but you should be just as careful and attentive to their vehicle if they are waiting/watching or not. i try to treat every car i work on as if it was mine. can you say the same for a 16 year old kid that drives a honda?

funny thing is, "our" county stores, where more of the top dollar cars go, you do have the perverbial 16 yr old kid working there

i will not say that all of our techs, at my store at least are diy'ers or even know how to do much more than the services we offer, but there are saftey procaustions so stuff like that don't happen

i can't speak for all stores or all companies, but if you have pride in your work(any job) then you have quality work

by the way, tifun and the tech are both idiots for letting someone/being the one to try and drive a severely lowered car into anywhere with raised rails

i used to have a lowered s-10 and new there were a ton of places it couldn't go

for the other guy,why would you take a stage 3 s4 to any quick lube place?

i mean i might take it there if i worked there and did the work, or if i knew someone that worked there

and the video, you could tell that those stores were doing shady things cause the dm was a shady guy

if i ever got "caught on taped" i would not lie and say i was a customer, i would ask for the cameras to be turned off right away though

B5A4Kevin
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
by the way, tifun and the tech are both idiots for letting someone/being the one to try and drive a severely lowered car into anywhere with raised rails

i used to have a lowered s-10 and new there were a ton of places it couldn't go

for the other guy,why would you take a stage 3 s4 to any quick lube place?

i mean i might take it there if i worked there and did the work, or if i knew someone that worked there

what are you talking about? why are you quoting me and then talking about stage 3 s4's and lowered cars? i mentioned that i have seen 2 A4's come to my dealership after being serviced at jiffy lube. both of them had burned up engines that needed to be replaced due to the drain plug not being tightened after draining the oil. one of the cars was a 1.8t daily driver with no mods. the other was a 2.8l avant daily driver with no mods. the 2.8 got a junk yard engine because jiffy lube corporate wasnt going to shell out 7g for a new engine. no one is perfect and anyone can have just as many accidents or mistakes as with any other type of business, but not tightening a drain plug? seriously? when oil changes is all you do all day and you cant tighten a damn drain plug?

i dont want to turn this into a flamewar or anything, and i mean this in the most respectful way possible, but the bottom line is you get what you pay for. do you want it done right by audi specifically trained technicians for a little more? sure. if not save your money, take it to a quick stop, and run the risk of it not being done properly.

Seerlah
03-09-2009, 11:42 AM
^He was commenting about the links I placed in my response. One was about the encounter Tifun had with his car being lowered and another was a Stage 3 S4 that had all the oil drain from the engine from a wrong sized filter.

Either way, I only take my car to a shop when and only when I can not fiix the issue myself. I think that principle should apply to all car owners.

turbo kraut
03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
what are you talking about? why are you quoting me

i quoted you, cause you were talking about 16 yr old kids working on cars

i didn't feel like multi-quoting

turbo kraut
03-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Either way, I only take my car to a shop when and only when I can not fiix the issue myself. I think that principle should apply to all car owners.

same here

i just think it is funny people come on here and bash businesses, cause they did what they consider shotty work........ specially on something like a simple oil change

what the titles of those threads should be is

"i am a dumb ass who can't change oil"

i am not saying i can do everything..... i will not even be attempting my clutch install, main reason is, i don't want to take a chance of it not being properly aligned and then having to re buy it and then pay for an install

i did on the other hand do my tb and wp.........

but sometimes it is cheaper to pay someone, or like my dad used to think, at least if they fuck it up they have to fix it........

turbo kraut
03-09-2009, 12:09 PM
i mentioned that i have seen 2 A4's come to my dealership after being serviced at jiffy lube. both of them had burned up engines that needed to be replaced due to the drain plug not being tightened after draining the oil. one of the cars was a 1.8t daily driver with no mods. the other was a 2.8l avant daily driver with no mods. the 2.8 got a junk yard engine because jiffy lube corporate wasnt going to shell out 7g for a new engine. no one is perfect and anyone can have just as many accidents or mistakes as with any other type of business, but not tightening a drain plug? seriously? when oil changes is all you do all day and you cant tighten a damn drain plug?

i dont want to turn this into a flamewar or anything, and i mean this in the most respectful way possible, but the bottom line is you get what you pay for. do you want it done right by audi specifically trained technicians for a little more? sure. if not save your money, take it to a quick stop, and run the risk of it not being done properly.

well that then is the owners fault for taking a used motor, but if they go the car running again with no further issues, they did their part...

should they have to give the guy a 7k engine in a car probably at the time only worth 7k?

i agree you get what you pay for, that is why you wouldn't also buy an ebay turbo would you?

but to call them idiots cause they left a drain plug out, are you sure they didn't have the specific training as you keep going back to, to know that audi/vw drain pans can easily be stripped, maybe they didn't and that is what happened, or they got told not to over tighten and left it too loose

double gaskets and that don't happen cause of lack of training so much as lack of care, lack of pay for quallified techs.......it could be a million things.......

oh and i went to the dealership where they are supposed to be highly trained proffesionalls and had a tab on my ecode's broke......... they put the stupid ass license plate frames on even though i request them not to......... do i start a thread about that?

turbo kraut
03-09-2009, 12:10 PM
last post before i let someone else say something......... post like these just clutter forums, why even post how big of an idiot you were?

ghost6303
03-09-2009, 12:11 PM

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260393

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/081/RipOff0081479.htm

last post here
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267061

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258972

i have personaly been to jiffy lube once, that was in the dead of winter and didnt feel like changing the oil myself, and there happened to be a jiffy lube 2 seconds away from where i used to work. so i went in there and asked how much for an oil change. they said $39 for an Audi, eventhough their regular oil change is $19.95, being an Audi it costs more for some reason. i asked what kind of oil they used, and it wasnt what i like (they wanted to put semi-synthetic in) so i asked how much it would be if i brought 5quarts of mobil1 and a filter from my house for them to put in, and they said $39. so i left and will never go back.

im not saying that your specific shop is bad, ive never been there. but a large percentage of all jiffy lubes seem to be giving the few decent ones a terrible name.

Seerlah
03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I understand the concept of having trust in an establishment that you used to work in where the workers did thier job properly, but not all places set the same standard of effeciency. You may have managed a well organised business, but that does not mean that other branches in the franchise have done the same. Nor does it mean that the manager of the Jiffy Lube you managed is doing the same credible management skills that you did.

B5A4Kevin
03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
well that then is the owners fault for taking a used motor, but if they go the car running again with no further issues, they did their part...

actually WE got it running again with no further issues. they just paid the bill. i give them props for stepping up and paying for their (GS) employee's mistake, but the bottom line is the customer drove off and the plug FELL OUT. it wasnt over tightened. it wasnt stripped, it was finger tight and backed out. there was no damage to the threads. i never called anyone idiots, but it is clearly negligent, and i hope that GS got fired for it because he shouldnt be working on cars.

turbo kraut
03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
i just think it is funny when people generalize one store with the whole company...... i mean if i get shitty food or bad service at red lobster, i don't go on bashing the company as a whole...........

all i can say is, he probably called clear to add oil, like i do with the plug just sitting in....... while maybe i finish up taking the filter/wiping the filter plate off, or checking diff or maybe moved to drain another car...... then never came back and did a saftey on it

we, at my store, saftey all vehicles that leave the shop, cause if we have an issue, #1 that may make us loose a customer, #2 comes out of our bonus, #3 if we have to pay for a repair, costs us a week of work and pay

yes i maybe getting offended for all the stores, but that is my company, and my pay-check(persay) that is getting bashed....... you would do the same for your companies i hope

Seerlah
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I just noticed that you manage (I thought it was past participle) a Jiffy Lube and not that you used to manage a Jiffy Lube. Indeed, just like any exstablishment, magangement plays a very important role when it comes to the foundation of a business. Not all people hold the same skills when it comes to managaement and I know it to be a tedious task (not by first hand experience, but obvious reasons) when it comes to hiring, making sure that the shop always operates in an orderly fashion, not to get hastled by executives, etc. All this should be an incentive to make sure that there are no (or few) foul ups on the job site. Standing up for quality work is one thing, but to stand up for another's neglegenace (whether that be managerial skills, poor procedures, the handling of another's automibile in another establishment, etc) is another. I guess I would say to try and help Jiffy Lube get thier name back as a reputable business that can be trusted as when they were first established.

*On another note, are you currently on the job site browsing through AZ [:p]

J Ozzie
03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
another stupid fuckin jiffy lube get some dork to pull on my oil nut post.. WTF IS WITH YOU LAZY SODS... its like you expect the best service from these places... Hell i dont even let anyone work on my car i dont trust. Even then..with oil and the simple shit i go and check it my self. That clacking sound like its dry prolly means they didnt put enough in.. it happens when oil is 2 low..

Did you watch them actually put in the mobil 1...ive heard of guys tellin ppl oh yeah its this but really its not its the reg 10w 30 crap..

turbo kraut
03-09-2009, 02:00 PM
seer, no it is my day off