PDA

View Full Version : Brake Master Cylinder

Dallas09
02-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Alright, so im trying to replace my brake master cylinder and so far what a mess... When trying to remove the bolts that hold the brake booster and master cylinder, I realized one was too long, meaning it ran into the metal that sperates the engine and the battery... To get it out I had to drill a hole to get the bolt out from the engine side of the panel... Alright so then after that, i get the old master out and go to put the new one in... Now the problem is that I cant get the master cylinder to go in flush since that same metal seperator is in the way. If i go in at an angle the pushpin (not sure of the correct term) wont line up with the master cylinder plunger, or the side of the master cylinder gets stuck. I had thought that i finally got it, but after putting it all together the brake pedal isnt operating the master cylinder so the pin must not be lined up... Any thoughts on this?? I had thought about trying to remove the brake pedal so that i can make the pushpin (connected to the brake, located in the brake booster/servo) go in more, but my service manual lists some weird tool to disconnect the pedal, and the brake switches have these clips (on the switch itself, not the connector) that i cant figure out to remove without breaking them.. So im stuck and Im open to any ideas. Thanks

trademark
09-28-2010, 06:50 PM
wow and no one replied to this.. i'm going through the same hahahaha :(

Euromike
09-28-2010, 06:52 PM
it will go in, takes patience and thought.

what a pain in the ass job though, i agree.

Dallas09
09-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah I ended up finally getting it, it was a long time ago. I had someone else work the brake pedal while I tried to get it lined up right I believe.

trademark
09-29-2010, 09:07 AM
so how did you figured it was your master cylinder that was bad. i'm trying to replace mine from reading the forums but i'm not 100% sure that it's the problem. my brakes when to the floor and lost all brakes.. checked the resevoir and i had no fluid... i've checked for leaks but haven't found any.. what's the sure tell sign that the master cylinder went bad?

Dallas09
09-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Well Im not sure I had a for sure sign either. One of my lines broke, and the pedal went to the floor. I couldnt get the system to bleed, and I read it could be because the master cylinder got damaged from pressing the pedal down too far so I figured I would replace it. The problem was I still couldnt get it to bleed after that (in fact it was even worse), so I took it somewhere to have it bled. I would make sure you checked ALL of the lines for leaks, the rubber ones at the front and back and all of the solid metal lines that go from the front of the car to the back of the car.

trademark
10-02-2010, 09:06 AM
found my leak in a metal line in the back that's around the axel.... it was a pin size hole.. now to find brake lines..
thanks guys