PDA

View Full Version : Advice from audi experts on '99 B5

chavis1789
02-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, and i want to ask you all for some advice. I have recently been looking into buying this '99 A4 quattro with 66k miles on it. I have a few friends who have audis and love them, but I'm not sure I can afford it incl the maintance costs, because I hear audi's can be a lot of money to maintain. The car is going for around 6500, which I think is a good deal. It is in excellent condition. But again, I am afraid that months down the road I will have to blow all my money to maintain this car, seeing as from what I hear it can be expensive to maintain. Thoughts?

s42k5b
02-26-2009, 06:07 PM
dont beat on it and you will be fine

adr3naline fix
02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
don't mod anything, don't race it, don't wash it wrong, don't miss a shift, don't drive too much.

jk. But seriously, audi's are a bit of a handful when something goes wrong. As long as you are mechanically inclined, you can order parts offline and toss them in yourself.

Seerlah
02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
You will have your problems when you get your car. But after you repair them, you really don't need to worry too much. I would think you would need TB job, control arm kit (will come sooner or later), and the ICM (or ignition coils). Other than that, just keep good fluids in it and change regularly. Don't beat on her like she stole something from you and things should be ok. FWIW, I spent a fair amount of money on reparis (~$1,000 in maybe a year and a half, which does not include fuilds, filters, and mods. I think that is fairly decent) and I really have no issues after you get main ones repaired. Ones I can fix myself, I do.

You should find a good reputable shop (not the dealership) to have a full diagnosis (~$85) so they can tell you what is an issue, would be problematic in the future, etc. It is $85 well spent.

asalviob5laser
02-26-2009, 06:42 PM
if you take care of the car it will take care of you have it inspected and find a independent shop to service it dealers do charge too much