PDA

View Full Version : regular oil on 1.8t

mel23816
02-26-2009, 04:42 PM
can i use conventional oil on my 1.8t?

v1nyd
02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
why would you even want to?...you can put anything in there that you want just your motor won't run as well and can cause engine damage that you wont see or realize

bob12312357
02-26-2009, 04:45 PM
No. The turbo generates tremendous heat, enough to break down conventional oil. The oil acts as both a lubricant and coolant for the turbo, if your running broken down oil through it you might as well run water. Not 2 mention these cars have a sludge problem. Spend the extra 20 bucks an oil change and do it right. .02

davyboi
02-26-2009, 05:39 PM
just dont boost

m5racer
02-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Hahahahahaha

arorem
02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
i run 0w40 in mine, synthetic of course. The only thing conventional oil has over synthetic is the price. I always run synthetic in my vehicles. But like v1nyd said, you can run whatever you want.

nova_ss672001
02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
NOOOOOO....! ! ! !

well technically you can, but unless you want engine problems and sludge then dont do it..

Jibberific
02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
don't be a such a fuckin cheapskate bro, respect your machine.

teeitty19
02-26-2009, 09:22 PM
save 3 dollars per quart.....pay a few grand for a new engine....hmmm thats a tough one

bob12312357
02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
save 3 dollars per quart.....pay a few grand for a new engine....hmmm thats a tough one
YEa, but at 5 quarts of oil I can buy 3 days of Subway foot longs. I'm thinkin a BMT today,a roast chicken tommorrow,and a Ham and Turkey for Sunday...

oneohone
02-27-2009, 02:11 PM
I would never put that cheap shit in my car. M1 and Royal Purple are the only motor oils my baby will see.

teeitty19
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
your right bob i dont know what i was thinking....5 dollar foot longs all day

thenofjboy
02-27-2009, 11:33 PM
AMSOIL European Car Formula

eline1221
02-28-2009, 12:37 AM
um, ya, cant remember how many sludged up 1.8t engine jobs I've done in the last 10 years due to conventional oil use

jaustin
02-28-2009, 06:34 AM
use rotella T synthetic its cheaper but still synthetic.

.Mad Hatter.
02-28-2009, 08:24 AM
I would never put that cheap shit in my car. M1 and Royal Purple are the only motor oils my baby will see.

lool...wheres Jake, only he will see the irony in this as I do.

Tigu
02-28-2009, 11:12 AM
hoi.
you better be carful what you all say to a person who is not entirely car-person. Thing with the sludge - it would be worst if the car has driven a long time with semi-synth and you change it to full. I totalled my V6 2 years ago like that. if you want to make things better, the engine has to be cleaned from inside. but on the other hand if the previous owner was driving a turbo engine with some cheap shitttttt the thing you must do is get it cleaned and checked anyway. oil cooled turbo is a bitch to oil. For example- saab turbo engines with garrett turbine - the turbine will be blown if you fck up one oilchange. it is a proven fact. so take care of your engine and make it slippery with something that it deserves!!!!!!!!!

ghost6303
02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
saab turbo engines with garrett turbine - the turbine will be blown if you fck up one oilchange. it is a proven fact.

how do you fuck up an oil change and blow your turbo? by forgetting to put oil back in before you start it?

and mobil1 has detergents in it specificly to clean the inside of your engine. if you origionally had conventional or semi synth in there and switched to full synth, it would still be better for your engine then not switching and continuing to run crap oil.

Tigu
02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
on saab engines there is vry little room for error left. actually it's mainly because of the garretts they use. if you run too long with one oil it will loose its qualities to "protect" the turbo and it'll overheat and blow. oilchange time just differs from drivingstyle.
and the second thing is about the sludge/smudge/crap in your engine that has gathered there over time. if you now just think it would be nice to switch to some ultra liquid good perfo oil it might souk the smudge and settle in tiny oil channels in the engine. just what happened to my v6. and the cranck got hot and shaved metal.
but using good oil from the beginning will defenately give your engine more miles and less dramatic ones also.

a4rings
03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
i cant tell what the hell this guy is talking about

ghost6303
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
from what i understand, your saying that oil breaks down over time and needs to be changed? this is general knowledge and true for any engine.

and your second point is that switching to full synthetic breaks up sludge which gets stuck elsewhere in the engine...? i would be surprised if that was the actual cause for your engine failure. most of the sludge that the oil would break up would be suspended in the oil and trapped in the filter.

T3hD0gg
03-01-2009, 08:30 PM
from what i understand, your saying that oil breaks down over time and needs to be changed? this is general knowledge and true for any engine.

and your second point is that switching to full synthetic breaks up sludge which gets stuck elsewhere in the engine...? i would be surprised if that was the actual cause for your engine failure. most of the sludge that the oil would break up would be suspended in the oil and trapped in the filter.

Some build-up helps with the sealing of various gaskets and parts of the internals of the engine on cars that have run on conventional oil. Once you run synthetic or try to clean it out, it loosens these deposits up and they can get lodged in places you wouldn't want them such as the oil pickup screen.

turbo kraut
03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
i get people all day long that ask for the cheap stuff and wonder why, even after i explain to them why helping them choose the best oil for their car, why they pos is now broke

up to 75,xxx on most n/a motors you can use conventional, after that high-mileage is recommended

on h.o. or boosted cars....... syn for the win

ghost6303
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Some build-up helps with the sealing of various gaskets and parts of the internals of the engine on cars that have run on conventional oil. Once you run synthetic or try to clean it out, it loosens these deposits up and they can get lodged in places you wouldn't want them such as the oil pickup screen.

well if you didnt have leaks in the first place, switching to synth would do nothing but good things for your engine. if you had leaks and worn out seals before the switch that were masked with buildup, synthetic would make them apparent. its not really fair to say the synth oil is causing your problems- the synthetic oil is only showing you where the problems are that you previously hadnt noticed, while cleaning your engine.

Tigu
03-02-2009, 02:25 AM
[hail]
to all who is trying to sell more and more oil.
but the fact is that a conventional user -read "dumm as fck" don't know any of the problems the car might have. so let it run with whatever the shit it has run before.
all motors will have some sludge build up in the engine after 100+k miles. if you loosen it up there is a big possibility it will make things alot worse. a bigger leak is a small price to pay. my engine had the problem that the oil channels for crancshaft got jammed and it shaved offf metal like butter when it got hot. result- no oil pressure. I got lucky though, changed the little U parts and cleaned the cranck/engine and it ran again. scared the shit out of me though. older V6 engines did not have the U-parts in bigger sizes (in case you have to overhaul the cranck.) "gleitlager" in german- dry bearing? in english. sorry, not very @ home with english.

B5A4Kevin
03-02-2009, 05:37 AM
from what i have always heard is that you can always make the switch from conventional to synthetic, but once you go synthetic for an extended period of time (5 or more synthetic oil changes in a row), especially with a turbo car, you should not switch to conventional. it has something to do with how the seals get accustomed to the synthetic, and then when the less pliable/stretchy conventional molecules get moving around, you open up leaks you never had before, start burning oil, start getting sludge, etc etc. where a synthetic oil would run through a journal bearing turbo passage normally, a conventional molecule might get stuck or overheat and coke or something. this doesnt mean something is GOING to fail if you run conventional. ive also seen engines fail with both synthetic and conventional, however the risk is greater with the latter. also, you cant expect to run 10k intervals on a conventional. however, if you are deadset on using a conventional, expect to do an oil change (with filter) every 3,000mi instead of 5-10k. otherwise, catastrophic engine failure due to sludge is most definetely a possibility. also, if you read on audigeeks, the M1 has changed formulations and now all those "awesome detergents" that help clean your engine are replacing the polymers that make oil oil. you may run into issues with consumption or excessive valvetrain noise as some have noted. i use only castrol syntec 5w40 w/ sludge protection (not sure how effective it is but im coming up on 100k). hope this helps. peace.