PDA

View Full Version : It arrived.... (Pics & vid)

witwer4444
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey guys

Well, here it is.

I am still unsure if I should install it this weekend, I guess it depend on a few things that I hope you guys can help me with.

It is still going to be snowy and cold out probably until early april and I wasnt going to install it until then but I want to know what you guys think. Should I install it this weekend? Or should I wait until it warms up? I am anxious to get it on, obviously as we all are we when get a new part in, but I'd rather put it on when its warm and clean out (road-wise). Do mufflers break in better when its cold out? I dont want to get it all dirty but if you guys think I should install it, then I probably will.

Also, how easy is the install? What needs to be cut? Should I just take it to a pro and have them do it? (its just the muffler, nothing else) Again, Im a total exhaust noob and bought this after a few days of research, so help me out here. I am going to be taking my car with my buddy who works at a garage this weekend, so Im sure they can help me install it if I do decide to do it. Do u guys have any suggestions/tips/instruction on this install or good break in procedures? I am SOOOO excited to hear it on, and Im sure some of you are too, so give me your thoughts guys...

Anyways, here it is.
Magnaflow Street Series 14815
3" Duals
For any of you that are interested:
Tips are 6" long and 6" edge to edge (little gap between tips)
See pics for other dimensions

If you have any questions, post here or send me a message

Give me your input on the install too [:D]

I will post up vids and more pics here when I install it...

Heres the stock exhaust with the OEM S4 polished tips (just a little dirty) I bought back in Oct. I will have these for sale if you are interested, they are 2.5" around and look great, I just need to raise my exhaust higher into the cut out in the bumper when I install the new muffler.
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02503.jpg

Close up of the stock exhaust
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02502.jpg

Box, I LOVE the E46!!!
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02493.jpg

Heres a diagram of the dimensions for you guys who are interested! [;)]
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02494.jpg

I thought this was interesting, a graph of a 1.8T Jetta hp and torque increase from this muffler, on the side of the box
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02496.jpg

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02495.jpg

Muffler out of box, its B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02497.jpg

Dual 3" Polished Tips
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02498.jpg

Straight through baby!
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02499.jpg

Logos up top
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii433/witwer4444/Magnaflow%2014815/DSC02500.jpg

Heres a youtube vid that got me hooked onto this exact muffler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbTn6ztt8E

witwer4444
02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
also guys
feel free to post pics/vids of your exhaust too, but just stay on topic!!

thanks

4A Play
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Thats my Vid! Im like a proud father. To be honest you dont even need new piping, just have the shop weld in a straight through res and put the muffler on.

Jibberific
02-26-2009, 05:04 PM
are you planning on getting rid of the resonator to make it sound like the one in the video?

DJmuggs
02-26-2009, 05:24 PM
hey, im actually planning on getting that exact exhaust from Magnaflow, i wanted to know if any addition adjustments/purchases are going to be needed to install it, or if i can just bring it to my mechanic and have him install it easily for a cheap price..

prey
02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
If u run that without resonator, its obnoxious, sounds nice from outside tho.

slopoke
02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
14hp and 20+tq from a muffler LOL

DJmuggs
02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
also what exactly are the resonators?

Seerlah
02-26-2009, 05:36 PM
What is the diameter of the inlet to the Magnaflow? You will need to have piping (sized correct and thicker piping means less drone) to make it all mate up. And I know many like loud exhausts, but for personal preferance I would add a resonator (I read the Cherry Bomb ones sound good with the Magnaflow).

4A Play
02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Its a second muffler that is in-line to quiet down the exhaust note. Tell your mechanic:

"I want to put on this muffler and replace the mid-muffler or resonator with a straight through design."

At which time he'll put the car on the lift and take a look.

If he cant figure out what you are saying take your car and money elsewhere.

What is the diameter of the inlet to the Magnaflow? You will need to have piping (sized correct and thicker piping means less drone) to make it all mate up. And I know many like loud exhausts, but for personal preferance I would add a resonator (I read the Cherry Bomb ones sound good with the Magnaflow).

Correct, you must replace the resonator with a straight through design or it will be ear splitting loud drone. My exhaust guy shook his head when I mentioned the cherry bomb glasspack instead of the factory resonator. He told me that it would sound awesome until the fiber glass packing was blown out of the cherry bomb at which point it would be just like a straight pipe and get super loud. So we used a magnaflow straight through unit.

I paid $165 for new piping, magnaflow res., and the muffler mounting.

witwer4444
02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
ya guys

that 14 hp and 20 ft-lb torque gain is not only the muffler its probably the whole exhaust system since putting a muffler on a turbo wont do THAT much. the inlet is 2.25" which i believe is stock for us.....its in the pic with the dimensions

i am going to leave the stock res on there because its WAYYY too loud without it

thanks guys

ya actually im going to either sand off and repolish the "Magnaflow" on the tips and get some audi rings stickers and put them on each tip. that would look so BA! im still thinking how to get stickers that will take the heat though!!!

any ideas?

Seerlah
02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Stock piping is smaller than 2.25" and larger than 2.0". Some random *** number, from what I read. And your piping will still be very restricive if you stick with stock.

4A Play
02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Yea stock is some mm size pipe but 2.25" is damn close to factory. You could just have the muffler guy mount the muffler upside down so the tips are clean lol.

Dont sand them!

witwer4444
02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
mmmm idk if i should mount it upside down.

why cant i lightly sand off the magnaflow logo?

damn, so how am i going to get this on if my piping is slightly smaller?

4A Play
02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
lol dont sweat it man. Its literally 3mm off, the shop can widen the muffler with a pipe expander or you can buy an expander at harbor freight for $15 and do it for them.

Just flip the muffler over, clean tips and no swirls in the chrome. Its easy.

witwer4444
02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
ya but then i would have magnaflow facing downward, looks tacky i want a clean look whenever i lift my car up and see it from the bottom. plus, can a muffler even be installed upside down, might be a dumb question but im clueless here

cant u sand off the magnaflow tho? I mean i have seen people sand the hell out of chrome and they rewax and repolish the crap out of it, but it takes the scratches out. id be willing to do a lot of repolishing and waxing to get the tips to look nice :)!

also, this will sound good with the stock res right?

4A Play
02-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Yup, you can mount it flipped over no problem. Maybe you could paint the tips with high temp black and leave the insides chrome that would look hot too.

IDK about polishing chrome or sanding it. You must be pretty serious about your car if you want it to be clean from underneath :)

witwer4444
02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
ya true true, i dont want to paint it black either. These arent chrome btw these are mirror finished stainless steel, does that make a difference in if i can sand it?

bob12312357
02-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Stock is 2.16 inches if I remember correctly

witwer4444
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
thanks guys, i dont even have the money right now to get it installed so i will start working again early april and i will get it installed then. I still have to get my window tint, 18" b5 RS4 reps, new summer tires, hopefully some H&R Springs/Bilstein struts, and then get this installed. this nice thing is though is that these are all i want to do to my car so after installing these, i will be done!!! (thinking about HIDS, thats farther down the road tho)

.Mad Hatter.
02-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Stock is 2.16 inches if I remember correctly

i was going to say 2.17, lol

DJmuggs
02-28-2009, 09:11 AM
I just ordered the magnaflow street 14818 with a 2.25" inlet, since the stock inlet is 2.16"/2.17" am i going to need to purchase adjustment piping or something?
http://autopartsplanet.net/images/med/magnaflow/14818.jpg

witwer4444
02-28-2009, 10:31 AM
o dude wrong way to go, dual tips looks WAYYY better. that thing belongs on a ricey integra

id cancel ur order and get either the 14815 or 14816

did u get my pm?

blkb6a4
02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
i think a single tip can look way bomb if done right

witwer4444
02-28-2009, 01:27 PM
ya i agree, i mean b6's and b7's have single dual tips, but for our b5's, the cut out is meant for twin tips, so i think it looks funny on b5's

witwer4444
02-28-2009, 11:56 PM
jeez man go easy, this forum isnt up to rip at people and act like ur better than everyone else

and yes, i think your car would look a lot better with a twin tip muffler, but DO NOT FLIP ON ME LIKE THIS, just take it as some criticism.

also, this forum is set up to get opinions which is why all of the threads are like,":give me your opinion" in them, dont freak out on me for giving my opinion on something, especially since it is my thread

its like u have torrets man

anyways, 0n the positive side, keep in touch and ur car looks great

njm23
03-01-2009, 12:00 AM
^^haha nicely put. regardless, twin tips ftw, looks cleaner especially when there is space for twin and running only one doesn't fill up that space so nice.

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 12:03 AM
thanks man

it always feels good when u got a brotha thats got ur back :)

njm23
03-01-2009, 09:43 AM
No not offensive, just that you take things personally to a point and always feel the need to prove who you are to back up your posts. We all know who you are and what you have done for the scene [up], if not ti only takes 1 minute of looking to see... And he didnt call your car or any other car on here"ricey". He actually called the integra with a fart can that is probably turned sideways like a suby ricey, because those are the USUALLY the type of cars that will run that. Not that it will look like shit on another/all cars, just saying..Its all opinion whats it matter anyway [:|]

o dude wrong way to go, dual tips looks WAYYY better. that thing belongs on a ricey integra

bernB5
03-01-2009, 10:10 AM
the silver turbo badge is kindaaa ricey haha

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 10:14 AM
???? this is getting out of hand here, I dont want any body to hate anybody, alright? Guys, we are all brothers here, and if some guy came on here ripping at us with his ford Probe GT, then he'd be the one to rip at.

Keep it "Quattro" guys and DJMuggs, I am sorry for my "ricey" comparison, maybe I should say "leave it to the Japanese"

peace guys, and bassed, yes I might be a noob, and yes I only have 30 posts here, but that doesnt prove if you are a noob or not. I could be a guy who comes on here every day and reads every thread, but just doesnt post anything. I have over 400 posts on Audiforums, if that makes a difference.

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 10:25 AM
hey how do u have a 01.5 2.0T? swap?

v1nyd
03-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry I have to intervene but 1 tip is most definitely not ricey especially if you have a crazy setup with a 4 inch straight pipe going to the end, can't really put a tip on that unless you find a 4inch in that goes out to a double tip...again it's all about opinion both styles can be pulled off and believe me both duel and single tip can made into rice easily, so no one should judge without reasoning =)

bassed
03-01-2009, 10:35 AM
hey how do u have a 01.5 2.0T? swap?

Stroker

82.5mm bore x 92.8mm stroke = 1985cc. (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236502) This is also why you are still offically a NOOB like it or not, not because of not knowing about my car, but for the topic of strokers on the B5 1.8T in general as well as apparently not seeing the plethora of info in the Projects and Builds section.

Do you plan on modifying your car and getting performance? I ask because you bought what is hands down the worst motor for modifying in the entire VAG lineup in addition to it being TIP.

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 10:52 AM
no i didnt get the car to be modded, which is why i got a 2.8. I am going to make the car look nice, but not by making it faster. and why would i read the projects and builds section if i dont plan on doing anything of that nature? it was just a simple question man, dont go off again. i also got the tip because i do not enjoy driving a stick in 48" of annual snowfall here in michigan. i enjoy my car and you go ahead and enjoy yours man

Seerlah
03-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I hardly ever jump into threads to place my .02, but you (bassed) are being rather rude to the OP. I still don't think you are a jerk (from the poll thread), just at times it is better to say (or write in this situation) nothing at all than to say something that can be inflamitory. Everyone was a noob at some point and time till they decided to indulge in thier particular hobby (I was a noob maybe a year ago and am still a semi-noob, but I educate myself). Whether that be sports, gardening, stamp collecting, video game expert, drinking (wine tasting of course [;)]) and so forth. In this situation, it is car modifying.

bassed
03-01-2009, 11:58 AM
no i didnt get the car to be modded, which is why i got a 2.8. I am going to make the car look nice, but not by making it faster. and why would i read the projects and builds section if i dont plan on doing anything of that nature? it was just a simple question man, dont go off again. i also got the tip because i do not enjoy driving a stick in 48" of annual snowfall here in michigan. i enjoy my car and you go ahead and enjoy yours man

It was just a simple question from me as well and then an explanation to inform you of why if you intended to mod it was not practical. You'd read that section because you'd like to inform yourself? There do happen to be projects that coordinate with your plan of making it look nicer as well FWIW.

TIP for snow? That makes no sense considering the control of a manual. in the snow vs a auto., my .02 and coming from someone who lived in an area with 400" annual avg and who has many friends in MI.

I hardly ever jump into threads to place my .02, but you (bassed) are being rather rude to the OP. I still don't think you are a jerk (from the poll thread), just at times it is better to say (or write in this situation) nothing at all than to say something that can be inflamitory. Everyone was a noob at some point and time till they decided to indulge in thier particular hobby (I was a noob maybe a year ago and am still a semi-noob, but I educate myself). Whether that be sports, gardening, stamp collecting, video game expert, drinking (wine tasting of course [;)]) and so forth. In this situation, it is car modifying.

Sorry I don't sugar coat it and I call em like I see em. He and I are not friends, I don't know him and it's an internet forum where I am being sneer and he's taking things to personally now, just as I was told I was all within the same thread. I don't owe it to him to be all sweet and lovey dovey. I've not made a personal attack or called him names. I'm just stating my opinion and if you all go back and read I asked a question first and then had sneer remarks with links to follow up to show how a 3" tip does not equal ricey, not to mention its a full 3" exhaust setup. But that's my opinion and I am allowed to state it just as he was allowed to state his.

1NaudiA4
03-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Its not easy to find a 3" in dual 3" out muffler which is why most people with the 3" exhausts are running single tips. Its just more simple.

bassed
03-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Its not easy to find a 3" in dual 3" out muffler which is why most people with the 3" exhausts are running single tips. Its just more simple.

That's so obvious I didn't feel the need to mention it[:D] But I am just the resident dickhead[cool]

DJmuggs
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
will the single tip sound different then a dual?
*without a catback system... JUST the muffler.

bassed
03-01-2009, 01:13 PM
will the single tip sound different then a dual?
*without a catback system... JUST the muffler.

Only if the medium inside the mufflers is a different amount/size, it's not the tips that alter the sound deadening its the baffles and the size of the muffler itself.

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 02:17 PM
I've not made a personal attack or called him names.

You called me a noob several times man, and why cant we just be friends? [=(]

and bassed, do you enjoy ripping on noobs because you think you are better than them. Well maybe so in terms of car modding, but i think anyone who doesnt know car modding could come on here and think you are going a little over the top. I am seriously thinking of deleting this thread because u have completely ruined it.

so back to my original question, anyone have any ideas on how to logo the tips with an audi logo or do you think any stickers will work?

VOoDooGTX
03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
ug, you bought a 3" muffler and didn't do any measurements at all then ask if you need to weld it to install it?

i have a 4" strait through exhaust turbo back.

bassed
03-01-2009, 03:29 PM
You called me a noob several times man, and why cant we just be friends? [=(]

and bassed, do you enjoy ripping on noobs because you think you are better than them. Well maybe so in terms of car modding, but i think anyone who doesnt know car modding could come on here and think you are going a little over the top. I am seriously thinking of deleting this thread because u have completely ruined it.

so back to my original question, anyone have any ideas on how to logo the tips with an audi logo or do you think any stickers will work?

I deleted my posts for you NOOBERCORN, it's not an attack or insult when you are proving how much of one you are repeatedly all within the same thread. Now I will tell you that you should learn to use the SEARCH feature, but only after my stating that to remove the MAGNAFLOW logo, which was done with Laser Etching..... that if you then go and spend money on Lazer Etching Audi logos on the tips then that would be RICEY[headbang]

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 03:42 PM
bassed, search muffler tip etching in the search tool and see if anything comes up and then tell me that I dont use the search tool.

hint: heres what comes up: Sorry - no matches.

VOoDooGTX
03-01-2009, 03:50 PM
why are you etching anything into the tips.......

Hint: the reason nothing comes up is because its a dumb ass idea.

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 03:58 PM
i originally thought i could etch the audi rings into the tips or something of that nature, it was just a thought, and i wanted to see what others thought, and if you guys had pics or anything, your opinions. i now know that im not going to do it because it would be VERY VERY difficult and somewhat worthless, but thanks for your input.

bassed
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
bassed, search muffler tip etching in the search tool and see if anything comes up and then tell me that I dont use the search tool.

hint: heres what comes up: Sorry - no matches.

Hint I told you what to search for it's called LASER ETCHING. I did a general google search using "exhaust laser etching in michigan" wow and holy chit a place pops up in Royal Oak where my chica from College was from, they look like a nice outfit FWIW[o_o]You could get it done there (http://www.greatlakeslaser.com/) Then I went tight and used where you live to see if I could find something closer than you having to go to Detroit. Within in 1 minute of logical search titles I found one one in Holland about 45 minutes from you. (http://elitelaseretching.com/) Is it safe to assume you're pretty young still (I'm betting under 20 and possibly still in high school for some reason)?

VOoDooGTX
03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Hint I told you what to search for it's called LASER ETCHING. I did a general google search using "exhaust laser etching in michigan" wow and holy chit a place pops up in Royal Oak where my chica from College was from, they look like a nice outfit FWIW[o_o]You could get it done there (http://www.greatlakeslaser.com/) Then I went tight and used where you live to see if I could find something closer than you having to go to Detroit. Within in 1 minute of logical search titles I found one one in Holland about 45 minutes from you. (http://elitelaseretching.com/) Is it safe to assume you're pretty young still (I'm betting under 20 and possibly still in high school for some reason)?

dude your killing me, so funny

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 07:22 PM
i just gave them a call, and i was going to leave a message, but surprisingly they picked up. I guess the manager was in and I told him what I wanted to do and he said he could do it. he is going to give me a quote back later tomorrow or early monday, but I am just curious, not sure how it would turn out. i'll update u guys on this tomorrow. thanks bassed for the info! :)

boostedup
03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
fail

/thread

witwer4444
03-01-2009, 09:55 PM
im tryin to keep it goin but theres always an end to everything

VOoDooGTX
03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
i bet you 150-200 to do that.