PDA

View Full Version : 1.8t BT swap or sc?

mwebb
02-25-2009, 08:05 PM
I wanna get some opinions on what would be better i have a 2.8 shld i just sc it and call it a day orrrr i can buy a used 1.8t motor stroke it out and go BAT and everything else????

stormscr3
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Buy an S4 ... been thinking about it for a few months now, I'm in the same boat. Superchargers are rare and expensive for this model, 2.8L, and PES is one of the only ones that makes it. New it's between 3 and 5 grand ... used around 3500. This model is one with not many options.

Militant-Grunt
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I wanna get some opinions on what would be better i have a 2.8 shld i just sc it and call it a day orrrr i can buy a used 1.8t motor stroke it out and go BAT and everything else????

1.8t for sure.

stormscr3
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Let me know if you undertake this project, I might for the summer ...

pipe7284
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Sell you cAr and buy a 1.8 it'll save you slot of headaches and probably $$$

mwebb
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
im thinking sc cause its an easy 100hp give or take and pes is only like an hr from my house so i could just go pick it up but i know if i go 1.8t im gunna be broke by the time i put it in with all the money i put into it or if i just build it slow take my time to make it really nice and polish everything by then my motor will be dead in my car then i can just swap it out. i was thinking s4 but theres allllllot more s4's around me than just 1.8t

t1demont1
02-25-2009, 08:24 PM
1.8t swap for sure, or 2.7tt swap. Both bolt up to that tranny. SC kits are way too expensive for bang for buck.

mwebb
02-25-2009, 08:26 PM
1.8t swap for sure, or 2.7tt swap. Both bolt up to that tranny. SC kits are way too expensive for bang for buck.

yes i was also thinking 2.7tt swap i wanna keep my car just wanna build a motor while im putting miles on it

EuRoSp1c
02-25-2009, 10:21 PM
dont supercharge... its not worth the money spent

biketsai
02-25-2009, 11:21 PM
F- PES. Scums

jrock
02-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Sell your car and go get an evo. I just test drove one today for the first time and OH MY GOD!!!! That shi^ was sick. Turbo spooled whenever you touched the pedal and no body roll what so ever going 70 on an sharply curved on ramp! SICK

Kyle H
02-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Sell your car and go get an evo. I just test drove one today for the first time and OH MY GOD!!!! That shi^ was sick. Turbo spooled whenever you touched the pedal and no body roll what so ever going 70 on an sharply curved on ramp! SICK

Stasis tracksports + H-sport sway bars + 235/45-17 tires + front strut brace = better than evo handing.

Get out of here with that EVO talk! [;)]

biketsai
02-26-2009, 12:05 AM
He's a traitor! VTB!

haha

jrock
02-26-2009, 12:12 AM
I know guys. Im audi to the death. All i have owned so far is a4's. And after collecting a spare engine and othe miscalleneous parts to go BAT, I still see how much money i have yet to spend on my car. Let alone the $6000 in maintenence i have paid over the past year and a half! After all this, Im really starting to contempalte whether or not i really wanna dump this much money into a car during my last years of college and still no sure path in the near future.. I also went there to check out a B6 S4 and an STI but they were both out of my price range.

Kyle H
02-26-2009, 12:14 AM
You can copy my plan.

Do all of the supporting mods for BAT (suspension/drivetrain/interior) until you graduate, then when you graduate and have a real job the BAT can be a present to yourself. [:)]

jrock
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I could... but my car already has almost 160,000 miles, 2nd gear is going out, possibly the clutch too, leaking coolant, burnin oil, brand new cv axles keep fuc^in up on me, abs lights are on, check engine light is on and my vagcom broke, damn seatbelt light is on, breaks are goin out (needin new rotors too supposedly)... I could keep goin on but i dont think i need to.

andyrew
02-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Sell car, buy better.

Profit.

llewop_211
02-26-2009, 02:07 AM

how nice is your a4? i choose to supercharge instead of selling for a 1.8 or s4 to save myself a headache as i just replaced almost all the wear and tear items that could fail on my 2.8

btw the 100 horses pes claims is a bit high, don't get me wrong its very well made product and puts new life in the car, just don't expect your car to turn into an sti.

Buy an S4 ... been thinking about it for a few months now, I'm in the same boat. Superchargers are rare and expensive for this model, 2.8L, and PES is one of the only ones that makes it. New it's between 3 and 5 grand ... used around 3500. This model is one with not many options.

pes sells the full g2 kit new on ebay for 3000 every week, and there are no options that can come with the kit besides a smaller pulley which is not recommended for a stock engine

anmagro
02-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Just as some one said above. I will be doing all of the supporting mods to my car before i finally save up for the serious power plant, whatever that may be. I am a freshman in college. I have done a complete brake overhall. Full Exhaust. Intake. And some cosmetic mods. This summer i will be doing suspention, wheels and a short shifter. After that, its all gravy twards power. If my engine is dead when i get out of college i will just either rebuild or replace it. Its sad to think that i wont have this serious power for a while, but hey, its the most cost effective way of doing it right now. Another option for you right now is to do all the supporting mods, and then spend the what $125 for the Speedtuning Chip to keep you occupied on power for a little while? Thats my plan.

What i like to think of is...by the time that you are ready for your "serious power plant" and you have the money...it may even be in the cards to put something like a VR6 in and blow us all out of the water. ya know? lol. Good luck.

mwebb
02-26-2009, 05:21 PM
okay i know what im gunna do im buying a motor hopefully when i get back from colorado next week. im gunna get the 2008cc stroker kit and the stage v 034 kit can you say HP I the money to buy it all out now. but i wanna buy things 1 kit at a time because i wanna take my time to do it make it clean. and i dont wanna have a room full of parts be to overwhelmed and lose intrest

llewop_211
02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
your pockets must be deep

Kyle H
02-26-2009, 11:13 PM
okay i know what im gunna do im buying a motor hopefully when i get back from colorado next week. im gunna get the 2008cc stroker kit and the stage v 034 kit can you say HP I the money to buy it all out now. but i wanna buy things 1 kit at a time because i wanna take my time to do it make it clean. and i dont wanna have a room full of parts be to overwhelmed and lose intrest

The best way to do it is to pull the engine and install everything at once... the guys at 034 can walk you through it though I'm sure.

Seerlah
02-27-2009, 04:08 AM
The best way to do it is to pull the engine and install everything at once... the guys at 034 can walk you through it though I'm sure.

x2

To the OP, do you have a 2.8? And deep pockets? If so, get an a built 1.8 (2.0) and whatever brackets are needed to make it fit into the engine bay (easier route). A used transmission if you think it is going, and install a SB clutch at the same time. Order a turbo kit and install everything at once. The only real thing that will need to be broken in is the engine. Just install everything at once and call it a day, if your pockets agree. I would say it will cost you $10,000-17,000 for everything depending on what you will get and route you will take. A built engine alone is $5,000. Turbo kit is another $3,750+. Then supporting mods, bolts, fittings and gaskets pop up out of nowhere.

mwebb
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
x2

To the OP, do you have a 2.8? And deep pockets? If so, get an a built 1.8 (2.0) and whatever brackets are needed to make it fit into the engine bay (easier route). A used transmission if you think it is going, and install a SB clutch at the same time. Order a turbo kit and install everything at once. The only real thing that will need to be broken in is the engine. Just install everything at once and call it a day, if your pockets agree. I would say it will cost you $10,000-17,000 for everything depending on what you will get and route you will take. A built engine alone is $5,000. Turbo kit is another $3,750+. Then supporting mods, bolts, fittings and gaskets pop up out of nowhere.

okay maybe my pockets arent that DEEP but i have enough for bult motor and turbo kit and make enough to support the rest

mwebb
03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
what else shld i need im getting the motor ecu and wiring harness for $900 will it just be plug and play for the ecu it shld just connect right in to replace my old one correct and is my display cluster going to be jacked up or will it be fine

somebody5788
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
The subframe is different. the drivers side tranny mount isnt even close to the same. However If the motor mounts are the same (they look to be) then since I only see the difference in transmission mounts being there for the dual exhaust on the 2.8. U may be able to keep the 2.8 subframe and just bolt it up I'm not sure.

B5A4Kevin
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
subframe should stay the same iirc, but you will need to recode your instrument cluster to have a correct tachometer and speedo.

Silverstreak98
03-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Just as some one said above. I will be doing all of the supporting mods to my car before i finally save up for the serious power plant, whatever that may be. I am a freshman in college. I have done a complete brake overhall. Full Exhaust. Intake. And some cosmetic mods. This summer i will be doing suspention, wheels and a short shifter. After that, its all gravy twards power. If my engine is dead when i get out of college i will just either rebuild or replace it. Its sad to think that i wont have this serious power for a while, but hey, its the most cost effective way of doing it right now. Another option for you right now is to do all the supporting mods, and then spend the what $125 for the Speedtuning Chip to keep you occupied on power for a little while? Thats my plan.

What i like to think of is...by the time that you are ready for your "serious power plant" and you have the money...it may even be in the cards to put something like a VR6 in and blow us all out of the water. ya know? lol. Good luck.

Where can you get the Speedtuning chip for $125....? Its double that on the website, I have seen group buys in the past though.

Anyone want to start another one?? [up]

maxspeed
03-03-2009, 12:54 PM
supercharged.