PDA

View Full Version : turbo'd supercharger

sprAfour
02-25-2009, 03:45 PM
has anyone seen anyone do this ?? i have a supercharger and want to do a full overhaul on the engine in the near future as in internals: pistons, rods, ect. ect. and was wondering if anyone has seen a turbo'd supercharger esp. on an audi? i know that the supercharger would multiply the boost of the turbo or something along those line (my uncle was telling me about this mustang back in the day he knew of ha ) so ya any ideas cmments excetera

[drive]

Wizard-of-OD
02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Was done sometime ago but the project was a flop due to tuning.

fikes
02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
never seen it done but it prob can. anything can be done with enough $$$ but its prob pointless for the amount of custom work needed to make it work.

akielb
02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Cost vs final HP was not worth all the extra effort (or so I've heard)- to do this would only have show value

sprAfour
02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Issam, are you guys at 034 coming out with any B5 A4 2.8 l engine parts / packages like you have for the 1.8's id be interested

jamestown478
02-25-2009, 04:12 PM
ive seen it done on a few grand prixs. I believe they called it twin charging.

SykoraA4
02-25-2009, 04:19 PM
vw acutally has a twincharged engine
its pretty sweet (http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/05/10/volkswagen-twincharger-tsi-wins-best-new-engine-of-2006/) but ive never seen anyone pull it off on a A4.

Urtorsen
02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
yeah ive seen and heard a few of these little 1.4s...youd never guess they put out 170bhp standard to listen to them..i think people dont buy so much of them here cos the emmissions bring the road tax up...

andyrew
02-25-2009, 05:51 PM
There was a rally car that was twin charged in the 80's...

djwimbo
02-25-2009, 06:15 PM
twin charging has been done for years. If you have the money and time, it can be a sweet setup.

Not worth it IMHO.

andyrew
02-25-2009, 06:37 PM
twin charging has been done for years. If you have the money and time, it can be a sweet setup.

Not worth it IMHO.

Yup, Its a much better idea to just run a 50 shot where you need it.

CGYa4
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
When i worked at the Audi dealership a Mechanic was sent for training down in dallas, and he said that Audi said a twincharged engine will be produced soon for the public.

arorem
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Vw has had the twincharger for sale in europe for a little while.

http://bioage.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/tsi_airflow.png

audispeed
02-25-2009, 07:03 PM
snowtrooper played around with the idea a while ago but abandoned it. i would also be interested in some 034 build parts for the 2.8. in particular, i need some rods, parts for a 4 bolt conversion and some possibly some sodium filled valves and other valve train parts for a high revving motor.

sprAfour
02-25-2009, 08:32 PM
arorem thanks for the diagram very informative, and want to send me some pics of your interior if you get a chance ? looks sick !

but ya i was just toying with the idea and to see what id be like, im prob only going to build the internals up in the future.. SO ya 034 wanna help us 2.8 guys out ??

Wizard-of-OD
02-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Issam, are you guys at 034 coming out with any B5 A4 2.8 l engine parts / packages like you have for the 1.8's id be interested
I mean this in the nicest way possible for the 2.8 V6 guys.Your motor is not worthy modifying.So many other great motors in the VAG line up that you can swap into.

calvin1.8t
02-26-2009, 05:41 AM
it would be pretty cool if u managed to do that. i think its worth the money to have the only audi on the road thats turboed and supercharged.

anmagro
02-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Ill give a +1 to wanting some kind of kit for the 2.8L 30V. If there was a 4-Bolt main conversion kit, i believe there would be alot more people putting serious power into their 2.8L's....rather than there being just a hand full of one-off bullet proof 2.8L bottom ends.
FYI. The rods found in the 2.8L are the exact same ones found in the 2.7T. The only main difference between the engines are that i believe the 2.7T has sodium filled valves and obviously the main and pistons. I guess my point is that once a 2.8L is "built" there really is not to much of a diff. between the two. IMO.

I know that in the way future, when i build my 2.8L, i would like some kind of "kit" that i can buy instead of giving it to some shop to do a one-off for 4months of custom work. Know what i meen?

ON TOPIC >>> sprAfour, if you are looking for more power. Why dont you do something like what 4Rings did. He actually is selling the project right now i believe. Buy his twin screw, make a conversion plate, and try an intercooler plate. Alot of people will love you for it, lol. Tuning that twin-charged A4 has got to be a complete bitch.

B5A4Kevin
02-26-2009, 03:38 PM
the 2.7 also has less displacement due to reinforced cylinder walls for added pressure (turbo'd).

Sigma 3
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Ive seen this done on a BMW at SEMA this year. NASTY. I have a picture at home. If I remember I will post it tonight.

sprAfour
02-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Ill give a +1 to wanting some kind of kit for the 2.8L 30V. If there was a 4-Bolt main conversion kit, i believe there would be alot more people putting serious power into their 2.8L's....rather than there being just a hand full of one-off bullet proof 2.8L bottom ends.
FYI. The rods found in the 2.8L are the exact same ones found in the 2.7T. The only main difference between the engines are that i believe the 2.7T has sodium filled valves and obviously the main and pistons. I guess my point is that once a 2.8L is "built" there really is not to much of a diff. between the two. IMO.

I know that in the way future, when i build my 2.8L, i would like some kind of "kit" that i can buy instead of giving it to some shop to do a one-off for 4months of custom work. Know what i meen?

ON TOPIC >>> sprAfour, if you are looking for more power. Why dont you do something like what 4Rings did. He actually is selling the project right now i believe. Buy his twin screw, make a conversion plate, and try an intercooler plate. Alot of people will love you for it, lol. Tuning that twin-charged A4 has got to be a complete bitch.

ya i know what you mean i might end up doing a one off though my dad knows a local shop ( kiwi machines) does all kinds of DISGUSTING engine work all sorts of drag pro stock cars and trucks.. it all depends what i do for school

anmagro
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
DISGUSTING = Good? or Bad? lols.

Urtorsen
02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
the new mk6 gti is coming this year and has a 2.0 version with a 207bhp output...same idea t+sc .

Siena
02-27-2009, 02:04 PM
There was a rally car that was twin charged in the 80's...

Lancia Delta S4.

Siena
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
ive seen it done on a few grand prixs. I believe they called it twin charging.

Compound Charging.

sprAfour
02-27-2009, 11:03 PM
distgusting = INSANELY GOOD TALENTED work ha its us young folk slang

AudiA4_20T
02-27-2009, 11:33 PM

mike hood makes 630awhp on 2 bolt mains... Its a 1.8t but it doesnt matter, the point is the same

mike-2ptzero
02-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Heating the air twice, what a great idea. LOL

If the turbo is feeding the SC the SC will always be the restiction. Well unless you plan on throwing in a huge SC that can push 30-40psi.

I wonder if it will fit? [;)]
http://bmeltd.com/images08/644.08.jpg

thopp00
02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
I would think having the turbo first feeding the air to the sc would be a better setup??

mike-2ptzero
02-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I would think having the turbo first feeding the air to the sc would be a better setup??

Has to be done that way if using a roots style SC that sits inbetween the head and the intake manifold. But the problem is that you limit yourself on how much power it can make since you can only force so much air thru the SC.

Now putting the SC in front of the turbo with a control valve like it is on the picture posted. The SC forces air thru the turbo and when the turbo hits full spool and really starts sucking in more air then the SC can push the control valve opens allowing the extra air needed to bypass the SC.