PDA

View Full Version : Engine Vibration Help!

mark_2328
02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
98.5 1.8T FWD Manual. Coming out of first gear, when I'm letting out the clutch, when I get like 3/4's of the way through the disengagement if I don't have the engine revved up really high or if I let the clutch out slowly the whole car vibrates like mad. I don't think the clutch is bad, the previous owner claimed it to be replaced not too long ago (40k maybe?). I've tested it for slippage and it doesn't slip. Could this be the snub mount? Or other engine mounts? Tranny mounts? I know for sure I have a broken/leaking flex pipe or some sort of exhaust leak near the front, I'm assuming flex pipe. If I'm moving even a little bit and come out of first gear, it seems so be fine. Hoping it's not a clutch problem but very well could be with my luck! I was thinking maybe its the snub mount as those seem to be very common wearing out, but would that cause such a bad vibration? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

pipe7284
02-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Get underneath the car and visually inspect both motor mounts and the snub mount.

mark_2328
02-25-2009, 09:14 AM
With school, no garage, and shitty north dakota weather, its pretty tough to get a chance to get under there! Eventually it will need to happen, just wondering if anyone's had an experience like this. Searched around but to no avail. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else?

Edit: Could my flex pipe being shot be a sign of the motor mounts/snub mount being bad causing the flex pipe to give way? Just a thought.

audiFUEGO
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
mine shakes a little too i always thought it was normal

Sick_Boy
02-25-2009, 10:14 AM
mine will shake alittle bit when i slip the clutch out at 1000 rpms but if i rev it up to like 1500 its fine

andyrew
02-25-2009, 11:21 AM
3rd gear, 4-5k rpm, give it a little gas (Not full, maybe 1/4) then take your foot off the gas suddenly. If the car jerks around or the engine jerks around, then its bad motor/trani mounts.

Motor mounts you cant really inspect, trani mounts the drivers side is pretty easy to inspect.

audiFUEGO
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
3rd gear, 4-5k rpm, give it a little gas (Not full, maybe 1/4) then take your foot off the gas suddenly. If the car jerks around or the engine jerks around, then its bad motor/trani mounts.

Motor mounts you cant really inspect, trani mounts the drivers side is pretty easy to inspect.

What about 1st gear? or even second gear?

andyrew
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
What about 1st gear? or even second gear?

I found that the engine moves much more in first and second gear anyways the better way to feel the clunk is in 3rd.