PDA

View Full Version : paint help needed

goodhews
02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
as some may know i have taken my spoiler of, and obviously had to fill some holes and had to paint it. well, my car was done in a single stage paint. and its not just the trunk its the whole car. so did audi paint their cars with a single stage or is it just mine? obviously it couldnt be done with a mettalic, but are all the solid cars done like this? and its the factory paint, there was only one layer and i doubt anyone ever went to the trouble of sanding the whole car down to bar metal

http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm323/goodhews/SDC10057.jpg
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm323/goodhews/SDC10059.jpg
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm323/goodhews/SDC10060.jpg

SykoraA4
02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
i dont see the holes...

the_pirate
02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
looks good man [up]

goodhews
02-25-2009, 06:33 AM
yea i filled the holes. no one would ever be able to tell from looking from the outside or inside

hoganalley
02-25-2009, 07:16 AM
to answer your original question.......

I'm pretty sure Audi's don't have a single stage paint. I do know that the clear they put on quite hard, but I'm pretty sure it's a BC/CC system. How did you find out it's a single stage system? Body shop guy? Are you sure it wasn't repainted before?

goodhews
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
yea i actually run a small body shop and we do quite a bit of painting, and it was unanimously decided to be single stage. the trunk had been painted twice, but i think it was just a factory re-paint. but the rest of the car also seems to be single stage. i dunno it was just weird to find.

hoganalley
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Interesting. I'm looking to paint mine in the spring and I was always under the impression Audi's were BC/CC because single stage is just a Macco-ism. Interesting.

Too bad you weren't closer, I'd shoot you the car for a week and let you do it!

goodhews
02-26-2009, 09:13 AM
yea, ive got plenty of ly1b to hook ya up, and i do really wanna see your car. and yea its been 30years since single stage was used, thats why i posted. but i dont think there are alot of painters on here, so i think it will fall on def ears. but o well it will be bc/cc before 2 long anyways

hoganalley
02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
got loads? What brand of paint? Would you be willing to sell some? I've got a place in Niagara Falls that you could ship it to. I'm thinking of painting it myself this spring......

Fink_tha_Audi
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I believe later year B5 A4's were 2 stg, cuz I had to take make car to the paint shop and they were explaining to me about the paint and why it costs so much (insurance covered it)LOL.

goodhews
02-26-2009, 02:11 PM
its by a company called r-m and mixed by a local place called norms paint supply. and 95% of the stuff we paint we use that paint, i do have some connections in house of color and could even deal with audi if u wanted or basically any brand u want i can get around 30% off with my bodyshop price. and i have zero markup just ask that i come out at zero after shipping and everything

hoganalley
02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Of course! I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'll let you know when I'm getting close if it's what I decide to do and we can figure something out. I'll need the whole works....adhesion promoter, flex agent, everything.

goodhews
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
well i can get u anything u need or want.i dont really try to make any money of anyone in situations like that so i definitely dont mind helping out another ly1b car