PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms bad???

Holvinator
02-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I install some 18" wheels on my car and the stering wheel moves from left to right while driving from 43-55mph, after 55pm the car shakes a little.I did alignment on vehicle with factory wheels and almost new tires about almost 3 weeks before I installed new rims on it.

Took it to the mechanic and we find out that the control arm bushings are bad from both sides.Would that be the problem?? don't know...but before I installed new rims on it, my car wasnt doing that.Havent check yet if I need them to check the balance on them wheels but I dont think that is because my car doesn't feel like if its jumping on the road.

dreVanHalen
02-24-2009, 12:45 AM
tires balanced correctly?

JohnUSMC
02-24-2009, 02:22 AM
balance the tires... then come ask your question again if the shaking persists!! Bet it wont... replace the bushings for good measure while you're at it!!

EuRoSp1c
02-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Sounds like bad control arms... that's what I'm experiening right now and my control arms are bad... when I hit a bump the wheels move so the car is a little wobbaly and loose up front

Tigu
02-24-2009, 10:18 AM
I have the same case.
and I can be 100% sure, my problem is not the unbalanced tyres.
what the hell it is, I don't know and all the car-s bushings are totally okk.
just wabbles around at some speeds- does not wabble for ex when I drive 150KM/H. But it pisses me off when does at some 60 km/h and between 70 and 80.

mysman
02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Several things. First, with some wheels, there is no place to attach weights on the outer lip, or sometimes the customer doesn't want the weights to show. So it can be more difficult to get the dynamic balance just right using stick-on weights to the inside only. Ask the shop to use the most sensitive setting for the dynamic balancer. Tip them ahead of time. Second, assuming the 18s are also wider, you will be more susceptible to pulling right or left, because the wider tires will generate more drag, or road force. You can have them road force balanced, this will cost extra. Make sure you have them mark each tire with the road force, so you can mount them accordingly. You want to match left and right forces, front to back doesn't matter. Third, if you have wear in the front end, wider tires will amplify the play. You will experience tramlining for sure. Fourth, if the offset of the 18s is different (most aftermarket are 35mm vs. 45mm OEM), you've now moved the contact patch 10mm further out from the virtual steering axis. This will increase kickback and front wheel steering under power. It also affects your alignment slightly. Fifth, are your 18s bore hubcentric; or do you need hubcentric adapter rings? Sixth, most 18s are significantly heavier than OEM, and they place the heavy tire further out, which doesn't help. You want to get the highest speed rating you can afford, not because you'll be going that fast, because the higher rating usually means better construction and more uniform molding with less runout.

mysman
02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Also, most tires are directional these days. Make sure they got that right.

Tigu
02-25-2009, 12:31 AM
know all that.
is not the problem with the tyres or wheels. I tried my friends wheels also, and no difference. it seems still something to do with the front suspension. maybe the setting is wrong or some part of the multilink is wabbaly and not showing it. a friend has same kinda a4 and we tried my wheels on he's car and had no problem.

Holvinator
03-03-2009, 12:39 AM
ight ight guys, Took it today to where I bought my rims at "Discount Tire" and had'em checking balance and tire pressure and installing the right locking lugs cuz when I first got em the locking lugs on front where to long , so they put the factory ones on front and the long ones on the back till they get the right ones by mail. Got them today installed and that annoying vibration/shaking went away.

Supposely the problem was the OEM lugs on aftermarket wheels... But I think thats B.S cuz they are the same long as the right locking lugs they ordered. So most likely they didnt balance my tires correctly neither put the right pressure on them from the 1st time

burner799
03-03-2009, 12:48 AM
holy crap your english sucks. I think i kinda understood what you are saying.

Holvinator
03-03-2009, 11:18 AM
lol i know dude. Friking spanish people, they should go back to their countries were they came from lmao