PDA

View Full Version : Cam Chain Adjuster (Tensioner) - Blowing Fuses?

walky_talky20
02-23-2009, 10:17 PM
I've got an '01 1.8TQ Tip. The cam chain adjuster/tensioner went bad a while back (sounded like a diesel at idle) and I replaced it - a little tricky to do without touching the timing belt, but possible. With the new tensioner in I get the following code:

17938 - Camshshaft Timing Adjustment: Short to Ground
P1530 - 35-00 - -

After clearing the code, it comes back immediately.

I tracked it down to a blown fuse - 15A - tucked in the back of the ECU box. It had its own little holder behind the relays, almost like an afterthought. Anyway, after replacing it I checked the fuse with the key on and the tensioner unplugged - good - but the code came back the first time I started the car with the tensioner plugged in. Presumably it has blown the fuse again - will check tomorrow.

Has anyone had any problems with these tensioners blowing fuses? I checked the resistance between the two terminals of the tensioner - 14 ohms - within spec, and niether terminal is shorted to ground.

I think my next step is to check the continuity between the load side of the fuse and Pin 1 of the harness connector. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this problem.

As a side question: Has anyone figured out what actually fails inside these things that makes all that racket? It'd be nice to just fix it instead of pay $400+ for a new one.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.