PDA

View Full Version : Instead of boost my car just shakes...help?

Jesus_Christ
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey everyone,

I encountered a similar problem a few weeks back where the car shook under acceleration and I got a flashing CEL. Replaced coil packs #1 and #2 along with all spark plugs and everything was fine.

This weekend, on a road trip, I noticed that on WOT, or whenever the turbo would normally spool, my car would shake/shutter, i would get a flashing CEL, but if I took it easy and kept it under 3k RPMs, the car would drive fine. If I restarted, the flashing CEL would go away.

I did a search, couldn't really come up with anything definitive. If my coil packs needed to be replaced, would I have been able to drive?

I did hit some snow and ran over some chunks of it on the highway which could have knocked something loose.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty new to Audis.

Car is an 01.5 1.8TQM, 135k on it

Thanks in advance...

RoadRage
02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
could be the ICM.

This sounds like a similar problem I was having. I thought it was just my coil packs, but my ICM went bad. Replaced it and all was well again.

LEGO
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
2001 doesn't have icm. It's built into the coils

Seerlah
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Just seems like another misfire to me. Get used to them, they are a frequent occurance. I had brand new ignition coils crap out on me in a couple weeks (Revised "R" versions too).

bbkid43
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
try replacing all of the coilpacks. Same thing happened to me a month ago. One coil went, i replaced it, and the next day another one went out, so i just replaced all of them. Runs much better now

Seerlah
02-23-2009, 04:54 PM
^ If the OP decides to go that route, I would suggest the Hitachi E Coil Pack. I have the OEM Revised R versions and had one crap out on me in a matter of weeks. Wish I went with the Hitachis.

Jesus_Christ
02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Going to swap in some new coilpacks tonight.

Jesus_Christ
02-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Coilpack #3 was the culprit. Thanks again everyone.