PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Ticket

kingdon
02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
I received a ticket for my exhaust; I have a 2000 1.8 turbo unitronic chip no cat or resonator. I want to put a magnaflow but I don't know wish one make less noise for my system. According to NY. State law no vehicle weighing less than 10,000 lbs should be heard for a distance of 150 feet that's about the length of two trailer truck so wish magnaflow is right for me and please drop me some web site links for magnaflow thank you.

Militant-Grunt
02-23-2009, 09:55 AM
I received a ticket for my exhaust; I have a 2000 1.8 turbo unitronic chip no cat or resonator. I want to put a magnaflow but I don't know wish one make less noise for my system. According to NY. State law no vehicle weighing less than 10,000 lbs should be heard for a distance of 150 feet that's about the length of two trailer truck so wish magnaflow is right for me and please drop me some web site links for magnaflow thank you.

Thats bullshit, I got pulled over last night too in the bronx for my loud exhaust. Due to the 3076 the exhaust got quite a bit louder [:D], but its still dual resonated. The cop told me to get a letter from a shop saying that it was fixed or that is not loud enough. Waste of my time really.

adr3naline fix
02-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Thats BS.

Get a miltek if it is in your price range. Pretty quiet but the sound it makes is a really nice puuuur.

yung turbo
02-23-2009, 11:38 AM
exhaust tickets in NYC is a regular thing but im suprised this happen to guys in an Audi. i want an exhaust for my b6 and a testpipe but now you guys got me thinking twice.

ghost6303
02-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Thats BS.

Get a miltek if it is in your price range. Pretty quiet but the sound it makes is a really nice puuuur.

i got a warning ticket in CT about my miltek being too loud. when the guy at the DMV tested it the limit is 74db and he said it was 76-77db or so but he still let it pass because the parking lot he measured in wasnt how the law said to test it and i let him know that i had read that part of the law.

if my miltek doesnt pass, i cant imagine how any stock V8 corvette or stock STI would. i paid more money to get a quiet exhaust. next time try telling the cop its a factory sport exhaust and see if he bites.

Militant-Grunt
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Anyone know what is the legal db level for an exhaust in NYC?

flyromeo3
02-23-2009, 01:39 PM

no cat or resonator

theres your answer as to why you got the ticket.

I have a supersprint and out of all the weekly pull-overs I've been experiencing for the past two months not one cop ever mentioned my exhaust was loud.

Cops are probably instructed to give out b.s tickets knowing that the majority of them would be paid vs losing 1 days worth of work to go to that b.s open hearing.

How much is your ticket?

Equipment violation = 80 bucks?

Also make sure all is written correctly on the ticket. Especially the violation code, address, etc..

A lot of cops lack penmenship skills so hopefully thats in your favor.

kingdon
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
you want to here a joke none of these bastards at 3 police stations can tell me what is the db level for new York city I also ask to be tested no one have a db tester, one captain told me it's up to the officer digression to decide if the car is too loud or not "WoW". What gets me is this ticket is a criminal court summons so if I don’t go I can be arrested or pay a fine up to fourteen hundreds dollars this is not a traffic court ticket. I had to call NYC 311 information center they e –mail me a copy of NY state db level. It said any car under ten thousand pound should not be heard at a distance of 150 ft that’s two trailer length and trust me you can’t hear my car at this distance, so you see my problem.

ghost6303
02-23-2009, 03:36 PM
well you can argue that the law doesnt account for dopplar shift. if you are traveling 80mph the sound 150 feet infront of your car is going to be a lot louder then if you were traveling away from the listener at the same speed. there has to be a set decible range and testing parameters.

to give you an idea of what CT does, read page 163 in this document on the strict testing procedures. there is a set way, with set distances, to test the loudness of exhaust systems. you cant just "eye-ball" the law, it has to be clear. police are enforcers of the law, not judges.
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/lib/dmv/regulations.pdf

Sick_Boy
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
According to NY. State law no vehicle weighing less than 10,000 lbs should be heard for a distance of 150 feet that's about the length of two trailer truck

thats when you tell the cop "well then you couldnt give me a ticket for your mother was in my car."

zrowcool
02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
85db is the legal limit for an exhaust in nyc. I got an exhaust ticket like 2 months ago. had my boy who works at a shop write me a receipt that says i fixed it and they dropped it when i went to court. 168th & Grand concourse FTL!

manguyen
02-23-2009, 05:15 PM
so, is it illegal to drive a Harley in NYC too??? such BS!

zrowcool
02-23-2009, 05:30 PM
technically yeah but they dont bother with vehicles. even the driver makes a difference. i get stopped more since im young as opposed to someone else driving my car. since im young and have an exhaust i must be up to something is the logic behind it.