PDA

View Full Version : Turbo smokin?

lifwanian
02-22-2009, 08:34 PM
So I just installed a new K03 in my car.

Swapped everything out, hooked everything up right, got new oil in, filled up the coolant, and when I turned it on, about 1-2 minutes in the turbo started smoking a bit. It smelled like oil burning. [confused]

I didnt see any leaks or anything, and all the gauges were good.

I'll check it out more in the morning when there's light out, but Im just wondering if it could be because the turbo hasnt been used for a while, and had no oil in. Maybe it got hot and then started to get oil flowing?

The turbo was in great condition with 55,000 miles.

turboquattro068
02-22-2009, 09:02 PM
thats not good, sounds like a bad seal. But it probably is just from you touching it and getting stuff all over it. I wouldn't worry about it, take it out and drive it for awhile, get it hot to burn everything off, then if it continues you have a problem.

erikas3
02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah its just all the stuff burning off of it. Give it a couple of days and it will stop. Mines did the same thing when I swapped them.

lifwanian
02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
It got hot really fast too.

So you guys dont think it will ruin anything more if its bad? If I were to drive it that is...

Rhinop21
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Its just shit burning off. Mine smoked quite a bit after the first start up but it went away when the day was over.

lifwanian
02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
So I just took it around the block...

The turbo was spooling like crazy! I can even hear it at around 2k!
I installed a test pipe at the same time as well, so that probably added to it.

Everything was running good, turbo was spooling good, but when I got back, I popped the hood and it still smelled. It just looks like its getting really hot and is about to break.

I had a good amount of white smoke out the back too.

I'd go bigger on the boost to see if Im boosting right, but Im just too afraid with the smoke and all... Could it be something else thats causing this, or its most likely the old oil burning...?

Jkilla71
02-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Not sure how much white smoke you are seeing but if you are experiencing dense white smoke out of the tail pipe so you can’t see out the back window it is a blown oil seal in the turbo. When I blew mine I couldn't see the cars behind me.

teeitty19
02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
yea i actually did the same thing you did swaping out turbos, and mine smoked for a little bit. as long as its not coming out the tail pipe like everyone is saying your good to go. i dont know how clean your install was but i got coolant and wd-40 all around that area

lifwanian
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Yeah I got PB Blaster/oil/coolant everywhere!

I drove around for a bit, and everything seems to be fine with the turbo now.

Thanks guys!

turboquattro068
02-23-2009, 08:20 PM
told ya brother, don't the audis just give you anxiety. It's like damn, what is wrong now....haha. Glad to hear that everything is cool now, I figured that was your problem.

lifwanian
02-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Haha yup! Lots of anxiety, but its all worth it!!!