PDA

View Full Version : 4th-5th Gear Slipping Clutch...

Moops
11-06-2004, 06:36 AM
If my clutch is slipping with WOT in 4th-5th gear, how long do I have before it fails completely?

Can I baby it for awhile?

I have 45k miles (40k from previous owners) but I just put in a K04 which it seems the clutch can't handle.

Neo1130
11-06-2004, 07:35 AM
You don't have too much longer, maybe a couple of months... My Jetta started to do that and then BLAM! One day clutch/tranny in many many pieces... It sucked... $3,000 for all...

Ben@SpeedBarn
11-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Yeah definately start looking for options within a few weeks. you can baby it but it will still go anywhere from a few days to a few months. I've done that in a few trucks and it always just goes out on a hill because you just can't baby it up a steep hill. [;)] I always wish I wouldn't have waited so long. It's a lot easier to drive it into your garage or to your local shop than it is to tow it.

Moops
11-06-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks, I'll definately be on it sooner rather than later now.

I was really only hoping to wait a bit for a more convient time to be without a car, but I definately want to drive it in...not tow!

Daft
11-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Mine went the same way. It began to slip in 5th at WOT, then 4th and even occasionally in 3rd. My pressure plate was the problem. The clutch disc appeared to have a fair amount of life left on it and the flywheel became glazed from the slipping.

If you just began slipping in 5th, you have a 1-2 month window before it gets hard to drive.

alen
11-06-2004, 04:20 PM
damn, i have this same EXACT problem. at first i didn't know that it was the clutch but i guess it is. mine started about three weeks ago at 58k miles and now a 1k miles later it starts slipping in 3rd. i really can't do it before winter break which leaves me a month so i'm really going to have to take it easy.

i would also assume that it's the pressure plate since the clutch still grabs good when shifting. however, i'm prolly going stage II.

if i postpone this, would there be any greater consequences if the clutch of pressure plate completely break? like in neo's case when his entire tranny went?

CT TURBO A4
02-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Reawakening this.....I'm just noticing I am having similar issues as the OP and just want some opinions/plans of action. I have a 2000 A4 1.8T 5spd. So, driving normal it drives fine, but under load in 4th or 5th, and sometimes 3rd, I started noticing that the engine revs higher (feels like slippage) until I let off a little so it can level out. So, Clutch slipping? I have about 201K and have been stg 1 chipped for about 50-60k. I think it just may have reached the end of its life. I don't plan on doing any other mods, so what would be a good clutch to get? Also is it a good idea to do a tranny oil change at my miles? How much is avg. for a indy shop to do the swap? How much time do I have before it really starts slipping (If I take it easy)? Thanks in advance for you're replies.

redline380
02-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Stock clutches are junk for anything more than stock levels.

Get an RA4 clutch. Labor should be around $600 or more

CT TURBO A4
02-08-2016, 09:52 AM
Stock clutches are junk for anything more than stock levels.

Get an RA4 clutch. Labor should be around $600 or more

So, this one from ECS would be my best bet? https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Drivetrain/Clutch/ES5485/

I called my mechanic and he can get the stock clutch kit with new flywheel for about $490 + ~$700 for Labor
Total Complete Job ~$1300 (New clutch/flywheel, gaskets/seals, new tranny fluid, and labor)

Being stg 1 and with my miles, Is it really going to be in my best interest to get the upgraded clutch? I daily it and for the most part drive normal (No launches) and this clutch has lasted atleast 110K+ (bought the car at 90k, supposedly was changed by PO, but idk?)

We're only talking about $110 more for the ECS kit, so not really a big deal. I always would rather spend a little more now than to have to do it twice. How is the ECS RA4 kit btw? Anyone with experience with this, close to stock but stronger?

Thanks!

redline380
02-08-2016, 09:57 AM
If you want to keep the chip, DO NOT REPLACE WITH A STOCK CLUTCH!

My avant was sold to me for cheap because the clutch slipped. He had a new one put in 20k miles before he sold it to me, and it started slipping. All I did was take the chip out and the clutch held. Not to mention, I can direct you to a stock LUK kit for $150, and a new LUK flywheel for $175.

The RA4 unit uses an S4 clutch, which is plenty for a chip and more. I have it and love it. It drives pretty close to stock. But I can assure you replacing the factory clutch with a factory clutch will be a waste of money in the long run.

CT TURBO A4
02-08-2016, 12:50 PM
If you want to keep the chip, DO NOT REPLACE WITH A STOCK CLUTCH!

My avant was sold to me for cheap because the clutch slipped. He had a new one put in 20k miles before he sold it to me, and it started slipping. All I did was take the chip out and the clutch held. Not to mention, I can direct you to a stock LUK kit for $150, and a new LUK flywheel for $175.

The RA4 unit uses an S4 clutch, which is plenty for a chip and more. I have it and love it. It drives pretty close to stock. But I can assure you replacing the factory clutch with a factory clutch will be a waste of money in the long run.

Yeah, I'm about to pull the trigger on the RA4 from ECS. Think its a good idea to get the tranny fluid changed out and change the filter and stuff? Supposedly isn't good to do with high mileage, but idk?

redline380
02-08-2016, 12:51 PM
If you can find a filter, feel free to change it. [;)]

Probably about time to change the fluid I guess.

AudiSport12
02-08-2016, 01:42 PM
I second the RA4. Very close to stock feel. Lots more sticky-ness and the lighter 12lb flywheel has a 'sporty' touch, i.e. rev-matching, allows quicker shifts, lower engagement point, strong enough for most higher HP applications, etc. For the price it's hard to beat.

MetalMan
02-08-2016, 01:48 PM
For this application, I personally would recommend the Valeo clutch kit.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DHHRPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/valeo,52285615,flywheel+conversion+kit,12825
(cheaper on RockAuto than Amazon right now, particularly if you have to pay sales tax on Amazon orders like I do)

It's quite a bit cheaper than the RA4. It has been known to hold a LOT more torque than a chipped 1.8T will output. It has a heavier flywheel which makes it drive more like stock & it's comfortable to drive with. If I didn't need/want a higher-torque-handling capacity I would still use the Valeo clutch kit.

Only downside is that unlike the RA4, it doesn't have any upgrade potential. But did you notice how inexpensive it is?!?

redline380
02-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Only downside is that unlike the RA4, it doesn't have any upgrade potential. But did you notice how inexpensive it is?!?

It is pretty cheap!

For OP's sake, and anyone else reading, MetalMan and I go back and forth on clutch recommendations. I cannot say anything bad about the Valeo kit since I have never used it. That is why I always recommend the ECS kit, because I have actually used it.

Other benefits to ECS kit is 240mm disc, and you use stock S4 clutches, which are also cheap. The valeo kit can ONLY be used with the exact disc designed for it.

CT TURBO A4
02-08-2016, 01:53 PM
If you can find a filter, feel free to change it. [;)]

Probably about time to change the fluid I guess.

Haha, filter, screen, whatever its called. Any specific fluid that is good?

I second the RA4. Very close to stock feel. Lots more sticky-ness and the lighter 12lb flywheel has a 'sporty' touch, i.e. rev-matching, allows quicker shifts, lower engagement point, strong enough for most higher HP applications, etc. For the price it's hard to beat.

Yeah, seen a bunch of good reviews on it, so I'm def. going with that. Just looking to get any other parts/fluids done while it is going to be apart. [wrench]

Seerlah
02-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Guy above is busting your chops. There is no tranny filter for the manual transmission [rolleyes]

Another option people have had luck with is the Valeo Single Mass Flywheel kit. I would guesstimate that being able to hold roughly 300ctq. Question is, for how long?!?!

Davdraco1
02-08-2016, 02:30 PM
I just bought an S4 clutch kit off of Rockauto for my RA4 flywheel for 175$ shipped. I drove with this flywheel and RS4 clutch for a week (250 miles) and loved it. I know that's not much of a review but how much is there to review with a clutch you change gears and take off that's it. Lol. Again, love that it's light and has potential to upgrade. I agree with Redline on this. From what I've read and heard about the Valeo, it will suite you better just because of the price of it. If you don't plan on upgrading for more power, then only get what you need. It will drive nicer then the RA4 since its heavier and it will hold the power your engine is making. I think you can go wrong with either kit for yourself.

CT TURBO A4
02-08-2016, 02:43 PM
For this application, I personally would recommend the Valeo clutch kit.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DHHRPK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/valeo,52285615,flywheel+conversion+kit,12825
(cheaper on RockAuto than Amazon right now, particularly if you have to pay sales tax on Amazon orders like I do)

It's quite a bit cheaper than the RA4. It has been known to hold a LOT more torque than a chipped 1.8T will output. It has a heavier flywheel which makes it drive more like stock & it's comfortable to drive with. If I didn't need/want a higher-torque-handling capacity I would still use the Valeo clutch kit.

I'm kind of leaning towards this kit now that I think about it. I highly doubt I'm going to mod anything else besides the GIAC tune I have in there. Just looking to maintain at this point, hopefully get another 100k. I like the fact that this kit might be a little stronger and more of the same OE feel. Guess I have some decisions to make.

Guy above is busting your chops. There is no tranny filter for the manual transmission [rolleyes]

Another option people have had luck with is the Valeo Single Mass Flywheel kit. I would guesstimate that being able to hold roughly 300ctq. Question is, for how long?!?!

From the looks of it people seem to have good luck with it, upto a K04, I only have a K03 with a tune so I got a feeling it might be okay. Plus I only daily it and rarely beat on it. (Maybe some snow drifting and spirited driving once in a while lol). I don't know what kind of clutch I have in there right now, seems to feel stock, but its held up for the 100k+ that I've owned it and plus whatever the PO had it for.

I just bought an S4 clutch kit off of Rockauto for my RA4 flywheel for 175$ shipped. I drove with this flywheel and RS4 clutch for a week (250 miles) and loved it. I know that's not much of a review but how much is there to review with a clutch you change gears and take off that's it. Lol. Again, love that it's light and has potential to upgrade. I agree with Redline on this. From what I've read and heard about the Valeo, it will suite you better just because of the price of it. If you don't plan on upgrading for more power, then only get what you need. It will drive nicer then the RA4 since its heavier and it will hold the power your engine is making. I think you can go wrong with either kit for yourself.

Yeah, I have to decide between the 2. Looking at about a $200 difference in price. Kind of leaning more towards the Valeo now that I think about it, seems more cost effective as I won't be putting out more power than I am already.