PDA

View Full Version : My transmission UPDATE!! w/VB review

biketsai
02-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Well after about a month of my car being in the shop, I finally got it back about 3 weeks ago. (been a little lazy to post this up).
So all in all, my car had to have its transmission replaced, courtesy of my insurance. My old tranny had a horizontal crack ontop of the complete bell housing (causing the clicking noise in my video). It also slightly bent in my starter plate. The car now has a used transmission in it with OEM fluid.

I used a little of the extra money to spend towards getting a valve body. I decided to go with IPT because they didnt try to sell me like Level 10 did, and it seemed like they gave me an honest answer I wanted to hear. The people at IPT were very polite and easy to deal with over the phone. The valve body upgrade was about $700 with about another $200 to install. IPT basically told me that I don't need to upgrade my torque converter unless im looking to have faster acceleration, and that upgrading my valve body would fulfill my needs of holding more power. The valve body holds more pressure, eliminating slippage which is what causes trannys to slip/fail. Overall, I felt the upgrade was definitely worth it just because now I know that I don't have to worry as much about my transmission. The shifts are A LOT crisper, downshifts are pretty solid as well. Whenever I am going WOT through the gears, it does shift faster. If I were only looking for faster shifts, I would say the VB is prob not worth it.

So now I am back on the road, used tranny, upgraded valve body, oem fluid, and the car is running great!!

Chris

oh and also...
Thanks to Carson @ MS Performance in Plano, TX for my transmission fix and valve body upgrade, and IPT transmission for their valve body!

Kyle H
02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Sweet, building the auto to handle big power is about the same as it costs to upgrade the clutch on a manual.... Good news!

congrats on getting your car running [up]

oneohone
02-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Nice review Chris. I am for sure doing this with my S4.

DJSticky
02-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Interesting, I am very uneducated on auto trannys. Sounds good though, good to hear =)

eurotecknik
02-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Just glad to hear you got some insurance money and you are back on the road better than ever. I remember you weren't sure if they will cover it and suff. good thing it worked out. [:)]

20A4Audi1.8t01
02-22-2009, 07:26 AM
good to hear man! now why cant something happen to where I can get some insurnace money to help mod the car! [:|]