PDA

View Full Version : Battery Relocation Kit

t1demont1
02-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I was thinking about designing a battery relocation kit for our cars with detailed instructions if i can get enough people interested. So who all would be interested? It would be for a resonable price, i havent figured out the price since its dependant on supply cost.

njm23
02-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I would be interested, although don't care what side it goes to. Thinking about it, i wud say drivers side due to if the sunroof drain gets clogged water comes in on the pass side.

Kyle H
02-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Right side of the trunk to offset the driver weight!

It's something I'd be interested in down the road, not anytime soon though. [up]

A4_Joe
02-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I would be interested, although don't care what side it goes to. Thinking about it, i wud say drivers side due to if the sunroof drain gets clogged water comes in on the pass side.

I agree with njm23. I have seen battery getting wet on A3 due to sunroof drain

t1demont1
02-21-2009, 11:54 PM
I prefer the left side of the trunk, thats where my battery is. However, id be willing to design a kit for the right trunk too for those with a sub or or cd changer or whatever on the left side.

njm23
02-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I prefer the left side of the trunk, thats where my battery is. However, id be willing to design a kit for the right trunk too for those with a sub or or cd changer or whatever on the left side.

I'll be the first to say it. I have no freaking clue what side is the "left" or "right". It all depends on the persons thinking.. Can we make it driver and passenger please? lol

N like I said, def. interested

t1demont1
02-21-2009, 11:57 PM
I consider the left side to be drivers side and the right side to be passanger side

SpoolinPelican
02-22-2009, 12:17 AM
I would go for right side to offset driver weight as already stated. Just keep the drain clean.

Euro-Tuner
02-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I'll be doing my own with a lightweight battery on the left side where my CD changer used to be.

GetBoosted84
02-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Are you talking about something like this (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G1200A&N=700+115&autoview=sku)
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-g1200a.jpg

OR something that would be molded into the areas in the trunk on either side?

t1demont1
02-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Are you talking about something like this (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G1200A&N=700+115&autoview=sku)
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/sum-g1200a.jpg

OR something that would be molded into the areas in the trunk on either side?

just a much cleaner bracket and no box. It would have detailed instructions for our cars. IE: how to run the wire through the car, where to pick up that line for the accesory power. I could fiberglass something up to hide the battery if people were that serious.

damnthemansam
02-22-2009, 02:33 PM
interested.. what gauge cable? inside or underneath the car? stock battery? lightweight? optima?

djwimbo
02-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Consider me in. (Right side of the vehicle - Passenger's side)

I'm planning on buying an Optima (red-top) for the task, and installing once it warms up. If you put together a package for an install, I'll do a DIY with pics for the forum.

I would be happy with a 0/2AWG, possibly a similar wire to what the BMW's use(flat 0-awg). Not many of us are running "high compression" cars, so anything bigger than 2AWG isn't really needed unless you live in a cold climate.

Dr.Coxx
02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
I would be down for this as well.

Grangalan
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
It would include a 2awg wire. Its reccomended to run a wire that can support approx. twice as much as your CCA(cold cranking amps). 4awg isnt enough for 2x our cca. 2awg is thick enough to support a high compression 350ci motor.

The bracket im thinking up would be adjustable to support smaller batteries.

(This is t1demont1 im on my buddies computer)

ghost6303
02-22-2009, 07:17 PM
i dont think its street legal to have a battery inside the passenger cabin without it being vented, just FYI for those that would be affected- mostly people that track their cars, and if you ever have to go to a complete DMV inspection for some reason.

also 2 gauge cable would be plenty.

djwimbo
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
i dont think its street legal to have a battery inside the passenger cabin without it being vented,...

If it's an AGM (absorbed glass mat) or dry/gel cell battery it's perfectly legal.

The standard lead acid batteries need to be vented as they produce flammable gases(hydrogen = Hindenburg)