PDA

View Full Version : It's official, I Hate the car.

Psp1eighTt
02-21-2009, 12:13 PM
In the past week all my window regulators have broken, I can't roll any windows down, my CD player stopped working, and to top it off I got new batteries for my key and now that doesn't even work. (and yes i put the batteries in correctly). If there is some secret to all this madness let me know, but I think it's time my b5 and I part ways it's just one repair after the next. [headbang]

fernando
02-21-2009, 12:23 PM
if you replaced the batteries on both remotes at the same time, you will need to re-program them..............

svo142010
02-21-2009, 12:25 PM
When you put batteries in...you need to reset the key.
Put your key in and turn it to the on position. Let the sensors adjust. Then click and the lock and unlock buttons while the key is still turned the on position. then just take out the key and it should lock your doors and do all the great stuff it does.

I hope that helps your key problem.
One down.

arorem
02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
WELCOME to the b5 world! They can be a total whore when it comes to repairs, but they are worth it!

It sounds like your problems you listed are pretty simple ones.

hernandez3011
02-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes, they are simple fixes (not cheap though, lol)........Can you say LEMON?
J/K dude, I was just talking to a friend yesterday about the fact that when soemthing goes wrong, it is usually accompanied by one or two other things. lol

EX: My steering rack went bad (leak), rear pass. bearing went bad (humming), CTS started failed. All within a week of each other. :-(

burner799
02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
it's only just begun. fix the regulators and reprogram your keys. no reason to sell your car over that.

Toyotatech
02-21-2009, 02:21 PM
That's it. I figure $1500 a year without oil changes is normal, get used to it. All 4 regulators didn't go bad at once.

TMorris
02-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Then sell it.

Two A's
02-21-2009, 04:16 PM
i wish thats all the problems with my car I had. your lucky man. My rear main seal is shot i have oil leaking from anywhere possible. My tranny is messing up and my exhaust sounds like a monster truck. Not to mention my whole entire front suspension is done for.

djwimbo
02-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I'll take 4 busted regulators and an inop cd player over my current compression results.

Urtorsen
02-21-2009, 05:48 PM
i dont get it ,audis and vws in europe are known for being bulletproof and reliable.....alot of people buy them on that alone....suspension and its surrounding features is bound to give problems...it takes serious abuse...maybe in the states the parts are manufactured/obtained from a different place or something ,its ruining their reputation...

.our familly has had ,no exaggerating ,at least 30 vag cars come and go,driven by young and old,none of which has ever failed or given problems that couldnt be fixed for under 500eur,and id say 20 of those cars have been +100k miles,sold on to other people who are rough on cars and they still are spinning arond in them daily.

.currently we have 7 cars as dailys driven by young and old,petrols-2 180bhp ,a g60 rado ,diesels-2 130bhp a 105 and a 150bhp,all pre 2005 and they drive perfect,and all have 70k+,...the most expensive part of keeping them is tyres..

jkern
02-22-2009, 06:15 AM
the B5 build of audis is one of the worst cars ever produced as far as reliability and need for maintanence is concerned. when they are running right they are a great car, keeping them that way is a full time job that requires lots of $$$. here is my brief list:

all four wheel bearings
all upper control arms
right tie rod end
ignition module
ABS module
two ABS sensors
cruise control...still not fixed
headlight swiitch...twice
heated seat problems
clutch because of oil leak
CV boot
rear cv joint and tone ring
exhaust down pipe

i am sure that i have missed a few items...this is on a totally stock car with 120k miles on it. this isn't including normal wear items like brakes, rotors, etc. a cheap american car has better maintanence than this!

Siena
02-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Sounds like you guys are unlucky.

My '96 B5 V6 12V QS has over 216,000 miles, and hasn't had any major issues.

Still on original clutch, cylinder head / gaskets, exhaust.

I bought her at 201,000 miles in June 2007, and all I've had so far have been a split coolant tank, a noisy rear wheel bearing and noisy first gear, worn front suspension arms, weeping PAS rack.

Wheel bearing and first gear drones where there when I bought the car, but as I had a clear plan what the car was being bought for, wasn't bothered.

All I've rectified have been the coolant tank, the rest I've left, they haven't gotten any worse.

Yevmeister
02-22-2009, 08:41 AM
My car has been a bitch since day 1

Completely Rusted Exhaust => Got New Nicer Set up +
Struts eventually got shot => Koni Coils +
Control arm snapped => got $3200 check from insurance, fender and everything got f-ed up. So i went on vacation, and got all new control arms+

when i got back from Vacation, first day behind the wheel, taxi changes lane into me so i got another $900.00 check from insurance

so my car was ghetto for awhile with both side fenders messed up. i scored i pair on craigslist for $100 later had the whole car repainted for $900

i dumped roughly $4000 into the car, insurance payout $4100

I am still ahead

ouzo
02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
so you're going to sell the car because you open the door with the key now?

just keep it and fix the shit. the audi is better than any other car you could ever buy

petera4
02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
are you sure all 4 regulators took a shit? sounds fishy

boostedup
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
i bought my regulators on ebay for 75 NEW. changed in less than an hour each.....had to change 3 out of 4 so far. EASY problem to fix.

get out there and fix it, theres people with WORSE problems that just man up and fix it....