PDA

View Full Version : AWD binding at full lock turn

94s4pearlwhite
02-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Figure this should apply to almost any AWD. At low speeds and full lock of the wheel left or right the front end skips, binds, jumps, hops, whatever you wanna call it. Searched around and found that it could be the outer cv joints or the diff. Will check diff fluid level first but was wondering if anyone knew anything about this scenario, thanks!

zrowcool
02-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I had a Bad left CV joint and whener i would turn with the wheel at full lock to the left, it would feel like that corner was folding over itself. it also made a clank sound. i replaced the cv and it fixed the issue.

JohnUSMC
02-21-2009, 09:37 AM
coming from the Jeep scene, definitely not a Diff issue, you do not have a full locker LOL... probably going to be the CV joint as already stated!!

If it were a diff issue then it would be doing it all the time... The diff doesn't articulate... so.... common sense prevails

94s4pearlwhite
02-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Ok so it does it in both turning directions does that mean both are bad?

UCFQuattroguy
02-21-2009, 01:52 PM
if it's a "rusty screw" noise/feeling...it's the Torsen center diff...completely normal, especially if it's modded (i.e. Stasis or Homebrew). Bad CV's with click from what I recall.

djwimbo
02-21-2009, 02:00 PM
if it's a "rusty screw" noise/feeling...it's the Torsen center diff...completely normal, especially if it's modded (i.e. Stasis or Homebrew). Bad CV's with click from what I recall.

My car is probably just weird, but mine would only shudder before the diff mod and during AutoX, never in parking maneuvers.

If I had to make the best guess I could without seeing and diagnosing the car, I would say it's a CV joint(or two)

When you're turning at full lock, how much power are you applying? If you're trying to do donuts on dry pavement, what you're feeling is about normal. That's the combo of pushing the tires(understeer) and the inability to not power the front wheels(AWD).

94s4pearlwhite
02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
It does it when the wheel is fully turned, either direction, forward or backward and while going very slow. Taking a normal turn at speed it is not affected. For instance the first time I noticed was turning out of the driveway from 0-5mph. It really does not make any noise, just kind of jumps with every full rotation. Cant really see the wheels moving/jumping but its definitely felt behind the wheel.

When the front end is jacked up off the ground and the wheel is turned all the way to either side the wheels will rotate freely without any jumping/binding. So this was making me think the CV joints were ok, but that may be a different story under load. This is my brothers car and I want to get done with it already, Im starting to [headbang]

Thanks for all the replies

djwimbo
02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
So this was making me think the CV joints were ok, but that may be a different story under load.

Thanks for all the replies

Depending on how bad the CV is, some times you can feel it when it's not loaded. It takes some practice feeling for it.

Most of the time the CV's won't make noise when they aren't loaded though.