PDA

View Full Version : Is there an actual change oil warning indicator or just the service reminder?

4A Play
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I dont have a book with my Audi and I did try to search. I had planned to change my oil this weekend on my 2.8 and then tonight I had a oil can with an audible beep pop up on my instrument cluster for a second. Is that just a indicator that it is time for a change? I forgot to set the service reminder last time I changed the oil so that thing has been blinking for 4,000 miles on every start up. I checked the oil level today when I got home and after letting the oil drain back to the pan and it seemed to be within limits.

I already picked up the Mobil 1 0w40 and mobil 1 filter today so no worries with oil choice.

Thoughts?

GetBoosted84
02-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I only have a service indicator light. What icon shows on your dash when you start the car and the beeping happens?

4A Play
02-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Thats the thing, it did it one time lastnight on my way home. It was a large oil can which tipped and dripped oil. Beeped 3 times, and went back to the normal Temp, trip odo, and radio station display.

I tried searching online for the symbol and nothing showed up. I looking under the car today trying to see if I was dripping and saw what looks like animal hair wrapped around the 1st cat dragging to the ground. But no oil.

Ill have to check that out tomorrow.

GetBoosted84
02-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Might have sludge buildup. I've heard of more than a few people having that issue and it caused their oil indicator light to come on.

Seerlah
02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
If it is just the oil canister with no writing next to it, then it is oil pressure. There are 2 other oil indicators that will say 1 of 2 things next to it if it is not oil pressure related. It will either say min (minimum) or sensor (which is a defective sensor).

4A Play
02-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Oil sludge build-up on a V6? That would be my luck.

Im doing the oil change when I get home. Do I just make sure the old oil isnt chunky?

Seerlah
02-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Sludge is build up on the internals. Oil on the dip stick will still be watery.

4A Play
02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
So is there another way to check? Like if I install a oil pressure gauge? Or do I need to pull a valve cover or drop the pan?

Im guessing pulling the valve cover would be exponentially easier.

nova_ss672001
02-21-2009, 06:42 PM
throw some seafoam in there just in case you do have some sludge in there you can get some of it cleaned up

4A Play
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Thats another thing, I've been looking for a write up as to which vaccum line to suck up the seafoam. Does it really matter? Should I just dump some in the oil?

Seerlah
02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
From my previous post, it may not be sludge. It could be for the sensor or the oil level. There is actually a write up on letting your block marinate in diesal fuel to remove sludge. But I don't know if I would go so far as to do that.

Next time you start your car and the symbol aprear, try and see if there are "little" writings next to it that says "min" (minimum) or "sensor".

GetBoosted84
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Good point Seerlah, it could be the oil level and not sludge.

4A Play
02-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Well I went and picked up the Mobil 1 filter today and 6 qts of Mobil 1 0w30.

Tomorrow morning Ill run a magnet throught the used oil and see if I find anything. The symbol hasnt come back yet though. Maybe a random ghost in the system?

somebody5788
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Sounds like it was your oil pressure light. From my understanding thats caused by the PCV system getting plugged. This will also cause leaks everywhere cam seals, valve cover gaskets, oil pans, you name it. I need to do mine cuz my brand new valve cover gaskets are leaking.

4A Play
02-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Well thats pretty odd. I replaced all my PCV lines about a month ago because they were all cracking and brittle.

How can there be a problem with a clogged PCV system when all the turbo guys close theirs off when they run open catch cans with filters on them? Im lost.

black99.5a4
02-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Well thats pretty odd. I replaced all my PCV lines about a month ago because they were all cracking and brittle.

How can there be a problem with a clogged PCV system when all the turbo guys close theirs off when they run open catch cans with filters on them? Im lost.

because catch cans are rerouted back to the motor! the gasses instead of recirculated are filted out of the filter. the oil itself runs back through to the motor.

as for sludge. we found my buddies by removing the PCV valve and looked through it. his was white and caked up!

4A Play
02-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Does anyone have a diagram showing the location of the valve on the V6 30v?

somebody5788
02-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Does anyone have a diagram showing the location of the valve on the V6 30v?

So you did the system w/o the valve? The valve is your most likely problem imo.

4A Play
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
No I left the valves in-line. Just replaced the hard hoses with new lines. I didnt remove anything from the system but the actual hoses.