PDA

View Full Version : Looking to replace some OEM parts

Serac
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Just as the title says I'm looking to replace some oem parts. My suspension and clutch are shot and I'd like to replace them soon. I don't need adjustable coilovers but I'd like a smoother and tighter ride. I have no plans on racing or testing 1/4 mile times with my 99 Avant. Maaaaaybe just maybe down the line I'll throw a k04 or chip in it but for now it's strictly used as a home to work car and thats it, I'm averaging 90 miles a day 5-6 days a week. Right now there are 84,000 miles on it. Timing belt was changed 10k miles ago. Original clutch was replaced at 50k. Oil is done every 3000 with synthetic. Any advice on a suspension and clutch set up, again I'm not looking to increase the hp or beat the car to death just a smooth 60 mph up and down from work. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PreLunatic
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Just as the title says I'm looking to replace some oem parts. My suspension and clutch are shot and I'd like to replace them soon. I don't need adjustable coilovers but I'd like a smoother and tighter ride. I have no plans on racing or testing 1/4 mile times with my 99 Avant. Maaaaaybe just maybe down the line I'll throw a k04 or chip in it but for now it's strictly used as a home to work car and thats it, I'm averaging 90 miles a day 5-6 days a week. Right now there are 84,000 miles on it. Timing belt was changed 10k miles ago. Original clutch was replaced at 50k. Oil is done every 3000 with synthetic. Any advice on a suspension and clutch set up, again I'm not looking to increase the hp or beat the car to death just a smooth 60 mph up and down from work. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Does your car come with sport suspension or non-sport? If its just your daily that you dont want to mod than whats the point to get suspension if yours is in good shape? anyways, if you just want a stiffer ride and dont wanna dish out a ton of cash than you can pick up a sport suspension or the OEM s4 from the classifieds and call it a day. If you want to lower it, then you have alot of options open to you. I'm sure a lot of people will recommend H&R Race Springs and Bilstein Shocks, if you dont want coils. I dont have much experience with a clutch for our cars, only had mine for a few months, but Im sure someone will chime in.

Serac
02-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Does your car come with sport suspension or non-sport? If its just your daily that you dont want to mod than whats the point to get suspension if yours is in good shape? .

M suspension is shot

PreLunatic
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
My suspension is shot

Then just cruise through the classified section and Im sure you can find someone parting out there suspension and youll save some $$$. Im putting on coils this weekend, Ill have my sport suspension for sale coming up. 80k miles.

Serac
02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Well I'm trying to avoid getting a used suspension especially with 80k as mine has 84k on it. How do I check if I have a sport or non sport? I have a pre face lift 99 Avant

Dan[FN]6262
02-20-2009, 07:38 PM
from what i understand the sport suspension is red and non is black.

not 100% on that tho...

merrigan
02-20-2009, 10:21 PM
howd you burn a clutch in 34k?

black99.5a4
02-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Shank210;3402909']from what i understand the sport suspension is red and non is black.

not 100% on that tho...

the replacements arent red.. mine are audi replacements and they are black, but the suspension is sport!

Serac
02-21-2009, 01:45 PM
howd you burn a clutch in 34k?

I didn't burn it, it was the previous owner, supposedly it was his first stick shift car and his wife didn't know how to drive one either I got it with 74k and a weak or slippy clutch. I'll check the suspension on the Avant but I thought all Avants are either hit or miss, meaning that since they all come with Quattro then they all either have or don't have the sport set up.

Seerlah
02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
It all depends on what you want to place on your car that will make deciding factor on the clutch. A good person to talk to about this is Mike Hood. You should PM him and he can help you in your decisions and even get it for you at a decent price. http://www.audizine.com/forum/member.php?u=2716

As for your suspension, I would still invest in coilovers. A good/decent aftermarket set of shocks/springs will cost you ~$700. I would just fork up the extra dough and get a set of coilovers. There are Group Buys all the time for them and you can get them for a very good price. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257095

Dan[FN]6262
02-22-2009, 01:29 PM
the replacements arent red.. mine are audi replacements and they are black, but the suspension is sport!

thats what i didnt understand. cause mine has sport suspension and the rear is red and the fronts are black [confused]