PDA

View Full Version : Which Head Bolt tool? #10 poly nor triple square fit.

JK35
02-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I've struck out at finding the right tool to remove head bolts from my 1997 058 AEB.
The bolts are NOT triple square, and the #10 Poly Drive (Assenmacher ordered from Handsontools.com, arrived quickly and quality appears comparable to Snap-On, and they just offered to replace the #10 with a correct size, free of charge. The Gentleman there asked if there was any way I could verify exactly what was needed before he shipped out another tool

My head bolts are definitely PolyDrive, but the #10 is too big. does anyone know for certain so I can order the RIGHT tool this time?

I'm going to stuff some silly putty down one of the head bolt wells and see if I can accurately measure a negative off the bolt head. In the interim, if anyone would tell me what size these things are, I'd be most grateful.

There's probably something up somewhere, but every writeup/search I've found, all say triple square or #10 polydrive[confused]
At this point, I'm curious why I have neither?

GetBoosted84
02-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Send a message to Poopie. He will more than likely know off the top of his head.

mike-2ptzero
02-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Watch out because there are 2 poly drives that are not exactly the same size. I had this same problem when Mike ordered my very first one, turned out that it fit some of the newer OEM bolts but not the stock ones that were on my car at the time.

BTW I boxed up something for you, just waiting for paypal payment.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716034_snub_housing.jpg

ahaters46
03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I've struck out at finding the right tool to remove head bolts from my 1997 058 AEB.
The bolts are NOT triple square, and the #10 Poly Drive (Assenmacher ordered from Handsontools.com, arrived quickly and quality appears comparable to Snap-On, and they just offered to replace the #10 with a correct size, free of charge. The Gentleman there asked if there was any way I could verify exactly what was needed before he shipped out another tool

My head bolts are definitely PolyDrive, but the #10 is too big. does anyone know for certain so I can order the RIGHT tool this time?

I'm going to stuff some silly putty down one of the head bolt wells and see if I can accurately measure a negative off the bolt head. In the interim, if anyone would tell me what size these things are, I'd be most grateful.

There's probably something up somewhere, but every writeup/search I've found, all say triple square or #10 polydrive[confused]
At this point, I'm curious why I have neither?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am in the same shoes as this guy. I have a 97 aeb and I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere on what the head bolts are. I am replacing with apr, should I just give t55 a try? TIA[up]

redline380
03-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Stock bolts should be 10mm triple square unless they were changed

Aragorn
03-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Mine were Ribe on my '00 AJL, and XZN (triple square) on the '96