PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about selling fairly soon

JumboBlack1.8
02-20-2009, 10:47 AM
So, as I continue to put more of my energy into starting a career, I'm leaning towards moving on from the car tuning scene so I can start to take care of greater priorities in life. I plan on moving to another state and buying a house within a year, and I don't think I can continue to dump so much time, effort, and money in my car. Although I do love this thing, I'm torn about whether or not to keep it or let it go. To replace it I would be getting something N/A. So I wanted to get some feedback on how much you guys think I could get for this. This is NOT set-in-stone, by any means. But I just wanted a realistic estimate to give me an idea of whether or not it'd be worth it to move on. Mod list below

Basic Info:
2001.5 1.8T Avant
Sports, Convenience, Cold Weather Packages
Around 75,000 miles
Up-to-Date on ALL maintenance
Oil changes every 5k miles

Engine:
Garrett GT3071r-wg with Custom machine 3" GT2871r Compressor housing (ssayzarc317's old turbo)
Chris Tapp Maf-Less File
Custom t25-flange manifold and 3" downpipe
DUH Front Mount Intercooler
Southbend Stage 4 Clutch (10k miles)
Milltek Exhaust
Forge 004 Blow Off Valve
034 and Stern Drivetrain mounts (tranny and diff bushings)
S4 Motor Mounts

Wheels/Brakes/Suspension:
KW Variant 3 Coilovers
Stoptech 332mm Big Brake Kit
18x8.5" Bronze RS4 reps on Dunlop Wintersport tires (winter)
18x8 18x9 Bright Satin SSR GT3's
034 Wheel Stud Kit

Exterior:
InPro Mirror Caps
OEM RS4 bumper (not installed)
Ecode Halogen Headlights with DDM Tuning 6000K HID kit

Interior:
UUC Short Shifter
Greddy Profec B Spec 2 Boost Controller
Innovate XD-16 Wideband Controller
Charcoal Grey Suede Headliner (in progress)
Pioneer Avic D2 Navigation Unit
Kenwood Excelon Components
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 Sub
DIY Carbon Fiber Beltline Trim

Pics:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/FattieJayMack/IMG_0463.jpg
[http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/FattieJayMack/IMG_0461.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/FattieJayMack/IMG_0326.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/FattieJayMack/IMG_0396.jpg
There are probably some more things I'm forgetting, but those are the major mods. So lemme know what you guys think

t1demont1
02-20-2009, 11:15 AM
If its reliable and your not making payments, just keep it. Not many cars get as good of gas milage as we do. Ntm avants are just plain sick.

JumboBlack1.8
02-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm still making payments, but they are very very small, since I put down a big down-payment on the car. As soon as I start working, the car could be paid off in a month or two....its reliable, but the issue is that I constantly keep thinking about what's the NEXT thing to do with the car. At the moment, that really shouldn't be one of my priorities

belinko
02-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't see why you would sell your car? As you said you put a lot of time and energy into the project. You and everyone else knows that you'll never recoperate the costs that went into the project.

You plan on buying another car and selling this one? Save your money and keep what you've got.

A hobby is not a career, unless you're making money on it.

Moving to another state won't solve your problems unless you've got a job lined up. What type of career are you thinking about. Usually one will have a career prior to dumping loads of cash into a project car/hobby. I don't know anyone personally who has made money off of a modified vehicle. Even the tuners such as 034 do not make money off of their shop cars. $.02

JumboBlack1.8
02-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Huh?
I'm not trying to make a career out of cars.....I'm trying to shift my energy FROM cars to my desired career. I am in the process of going through interviews and such, and I feel that having such an expensive, time consuming hobby may be too much to handle. I talked about wanting to move to another state because I'm sick of New England, and plan to look for a new place to live over the next year or so.....I think u might've misunderstood.

I know I won't get anywhere near as much back as I put into it, but the value of this car is only getting lower and lower with time...

njm23
02-20-2009, 11:28 AM
I would realistically expect to get around 10500 for it form the right buyer. The way s4's are selling these days it isn't helping us. Someone could look at your a4 with all these mods for 11,000, then look at an s4 with a lil more miles for the same price and not think twice about your car. Even though your cars the better buy.

keep it if you can, I would hold onto it and just get a new DD when you start your new career and keep it garaged. Self control man.. learn it haha, i know it is hard with our cars.

Tigu
02-20-2009, 11:58 AM
hmm,
if you have it in you it wount go away.
but what you should try is to get some other hobby next to the car thing.
I switched jobs and went to UNi and went to live in another place.
and........ dooooouuuupppp. [headbang]
I guess it didn´t work.
but don´t sell.
or if you do - sell it somewhere far far away. its the worst thing to see some shmuck workin he´s bitche's arse on your baby's backseat.
I've done it twice and it's a bitch. once I even offered to buy it back.
yeah, well, still, don't sell it.

jbrentd
02-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I woud keep it and just enjoy it. It looks like you've probably done everything you wanted to do to it...why get rid of it now?

JumboBlack1.8
02-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, I haven't done quite everything yet.....I really want to do another engine build, which would require dumping another large sum of cash into it. This wouldn't be for another year, but at that point, I'd be deciding to keep the car forever, since any hope of getting back a reasonable fraction of what I put in would be gone.

I'm still on the fence about this...

curlyfrieS4
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Dont even worry man, lets just trade and u'll be happier. Your ride for my S4 Stage II. It doesnt even cost that much to maintain an S4 :).......or does it

Jibberific
02-20-2009, 01:00 PM
you basically need to have a car no matter what... so why not keep your personalized car that you already have, i mean you obviously like it a lot. you almost have it paid off... so from that point forward you will be saving so much money, because you'll only need to spend money on basic maintenance rather than getting a new car with a big monthly payment

hoganalley
02-20-2009, 01:15 PM
^^Agreed. Keep it. If it's reliable and done properly you won't have any problems. Yeah, doing an engine build would be great but maybe you just can't afford it. You've got a great ride as it is, keep it, do cheap easy mods and once you get a bankroll then look into the more expensive projects......

I'd love to do some more things to my car but I'm keeping it cheap. Move the sub to the fender well, steering wheel wrap, little upgrades here and there. Once I get my house in a year, then I'll look into a few more things.

Keep it man, I think it'd be stupid to sell it.

B5A4Kevin
02-20-2009, 01:49 PM
i vote keep it. if you sell it and get a NA car you will miss your spooling and BOV so much you will cry. then you will get stomped by a f-ing civic si and want to kill yourself. i dont know what kind of career you have going for you, or what you went to school for, but in this economy, its an employers market. you have to strive to sell yourself at every interview, and be persistant. you will also have to broaden your jobsearch and maybe temporarily lower your expectations for an employer, if you can get a job, even if its temporary to help get you by, do it. treat finding a job as your job. spend at least 30-40 hours a week finding leads and taking interviews. be prepared for the open ended questions and have some of your own. above all, make sure to take your own happiness into consideration. can you see yourself being happy without your current ride? or in something else? good luck bro and i wish you the best in your future. hope this helps. peace.

A4Rob
02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
I also gotta say keep it. The economy sucks, and you will regret selling it for cheap.

Tifun
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Reserved space for my thoughts later.

b5andm3
02-20-2009, 03:39 PM
i vote keep it. if you sell it and get a NA car you will miss your spooling and BOV so much you will cry. then you will get stomped by a f-ing civic si and want to kill yourself. i dont know what kind of career you have going for you, or what you went to school for, but in this economy, its an employers market. you have to strive to sell yourself at every interview, and be persistant. you will also have to broaden your jobsearch and maybe temporarily lower your expectations for an employer, if you can get a job, even if its temporary to help get you by, do it. treat finding a job as your job. spend at least 30-40 hours a week finding leads and taking interviews. be prepared for the open ended questions and have some of your own. above all, make sure to take your own happiness into consideration. can you see yourself being happy without your current ride? or in something else? good luck bro and i wish you the best in your future. hope this helps. peace.

my "non spooling , lack of bov na POS" will smoke you in the wrong gear

lol

burner799
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
you are going to regret selling it. keep it.

GetBoosted84
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
If you do decide to get rid of the car let me know. I would be interested in some of your parts if you decide to part out.

JumboBlack1.8
02-20-2009, 04:00 PM

lol

I have yet to truly understand why you insist on coming to an A4 forum just to inject petty BS about how ur car is faster than anyone else's.......I speak for many when i say: NO ONE CARES.

Leave this nonsense out of my thread.

To all the others, your advice is very compelling.....The state of the economy, combined with the fact that I won't find a better car for the price that I'd get for my B5 would make selling a very poor decision at the moment. I've been searching around for weeks, looking for cars of equal or lesser value to replace this, and I've been generally unsatisfied with what I've found. I'd originally wanted to unload this and buy an AWD E30, but that wouldn't make ANY sense, seeing that those cars are becoming maintenance whores, because of their age. And buying a new car is out of the question, because I've got other bills and college loans to pay, and I can't afford more monthly payments.

But I will probably list on craigslist some time in the near future at a high price, and see if someone bites on it. The only way I could justify selling it is if I got what I feel is a good value for it (around $14-15k.....which is unrealistic).
I'd probably regret it, but I would be jumping back into another B5 when supporting this kind of hobby is more manageable.

A4Rob
02-20-2009, 04:07 PM

lol

I would be surprised if a stock e36 M3 could beat this car...

Toyotatech
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
You won't get 1000+whp 7.2 1/4mile at 303mph out of a n/a car just keep it.

Tifun
02-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I guess the only thing I can add to this is that, you mod cars. It's your hobby, except that. I have. I try not to look at the coin spent anymore. I had rough times a few years back until I got my current job, I went through the same thought process as you, stop modding, so I sold my project daily, and bought an E36 ///M3. I loved the car, however, it was way to much to mod, and gains were almost non noticeable. Which made me even more depressed about getting rid of my car. It's just wasn't a fast car, quick maybe. For me, it's almost in my blood. Here I am now though thinking, buy a house, and sell the car....nope, buy a house and buy another car lol. Too much coin has been dropped, too many hours have been put in. In reality, reality will kick in if you get a house and your money will be tied up there. Plus, if you move to another state(Indiana would be cool lol) you'll want that wagon to haul all your junk and stuff lol.

As for the M3 comment, If I can walk away from a SC e36 M3, I would hope Jumbo's would destroy it.

b5andm3
02-20-2009, 07:11 PM
The quote wasn't directed towards jumbo, rob or anyone else with a big turbo. It was directed to some guy with boltons stating how you will just miss the turbo spooling and the BOV sound. Yea, cause thats what makes a car fast. The sound.

If you're too ignorant to realize most owners on here think their car is fast cause it has a turbo the size of their nuts, well I am sorry.

JumboBlack1.8
02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
It doesn't matter who it was directed to....it was inappropriate. B5A4Kevin wasn't saying his car was fast because it made those sounds, jack....I mentioned wanting to switch to a N/A car, so he brought up some of the things that make a boosted car special. Your post came way out of left field, cuz you feel u've gotta measure ur dick against everyone else cuz u have an M3. Plain and simple

the_pirate
02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
keep it! or move to florida and then sell it to me [:D] you know i'm in the market for a wagon.

.Mad Hatter.
02-20-2009, 09:56 PM
i wouldnt see a point in selling it, the economy is crap. sure you could get a new car for a steal, but you would be making payments for another x amount of years. if you buy another used car its going to need maintenance too.

keep the car you built, but modding it on the back burner and make it a perfect version of what it currently is.

t1demont1
02-21-2009, 09:08 AM
If you're too ignorant to realize most owners on here think their car is fast cause it has a turbo the size of their nuts, well I am sorry.

sorry but my turbo is bigger than my nuts ;)

Your post came way out of left field, cuz you feel u've gotta measure ur dick against everyone else cuz u have an M3. Plain and simple

mega ownt

tdn
02-21-2009, 09:17 AM
I can see myself where you are now next fall when I'm ready to start my build. I'm feeling a bit discouraged because all the money I'd have saved by then, I may end up using more than half of it to fix problems. So the thought of selling is continuously lingering in my head a bit.. but I say keep it, you may end up not being better off having sold it and you'd be without a sick ride.

edit: I really need to proof read my posts.

JumboBlack1.8
02-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Some great advice here, guys. thanks a lot for helping me clear my head. I really do appreciate it. The last few months have been pretty hard on me physically (knee), and now emotionally since its been so damn hard finding a job. My family has spent an incredible amount of money on my education, so its discouraging to have graduated a prestigious university and not be able to find any work. I thought that by selling the car, I could direct even more energy to jumpstarting a career.....but u all have helped me realize that, in this shitty economic/hiring-climate, this car and hobby are what help me keep my sanity.

Thanks again, guys!

20A4Audi1.8t01
02-22-2009, 08:50 AM
glad to hear ur keeping it!

Yevmeister
02-22-2009, 08:57 AM
i vote, keep it hands down, but i would also do what you suggested list it in craigslist/classifieds for 13k-15k maybe you will find someone, who would be willing to pay.

however all the headache with lowballers, joyriders, and other dousches out there.

If you are short on cash, you can also downgrade and sell some of the mods, and get them back, when you are financially stable. i am sure there is a lot of people who would be interested trading in their parts + cash, for yours

Yev

AudiA4_20T
02-22-2009, 12:08 PM
The quote wasn't directed towards jumbo, rob or anyone else with a big turbo. It was directed to some guy with boltons stating how you will just miss the turbo spooling and the BOV sound. Yea, cause thats what makes a car fast. The sound.

For some reason, I love your comments. I feel like your just messing around, but people get so hurt over the comments. Although you seem to think the color of M3 your getting makes it awesome [:p]

Rhinop21
02-22-2009, 12:16 PM
If your car is reliable then I say keep it. Nothing wrong with a fast dd.

burner799
02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
who was the op of this, i forget

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m45/burner799/l_e5720b2b85f85663a3308d14a4265b2b.jpg

b5andm3
02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
u've gotta measure ur dick against everyone else cuz u have an M3. Plain and simple

Why would I measure when its obviously bigger?

[headbang]

Oh yea..

New RS4 vs Old M3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLGrJjJpcSA

lolz

Kronic Budz
02-22-2009, 04:32 PM
i dont no how you could just sell it with only 75k on it. its a super clean avant and you should just hold on to it and not throw more money at it. enjoy it and fix it when it breaks.

B5A4Kevin
02-25-2009, 12:48 PM
dude im on stock boost. i know my car is slow as hell. sorry im poor, but id still rather drive a stockish audi than a bmw to compensate for something. and by the way, i bet your dick is so small, you piss on your nuts.

back to jumbo, glad you arent selling it.

JumboBlack1.8
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Yup....I'm just gonna keep it forever.....I've decided that I might as well, since the value will only plummet from here on out....gonna fix things here and there, make it mint, until I can afford the engine build project I wanna do. This car will remain my DD, until I can afford a beater...then it'll turn into a beast hopefully in a year or two

oh....and I fixed my tacky brown headliner to grey:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/FattieJayMack/IMG_0470.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/FattieJayMack/IMG_0466.jpg
much better

AudiRacerS4
02-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Why would I measure when its obviously bigger?

[headbang]

Oh yea..

New RS4 vs Old M3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLGrJjJpcSA

lolz

both cars are slow lol, shame on audi for putting a V8 in the RS4. E46 M3's = [down][down]

E30 M3 > All BMW's

JumboBlack1.8
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
both cars are slow lol, shame on audi for putting a V8 in the RS4. E46 M3's = [down][down]

E30 M3 > All BMW's

My boy's B3 Alpina 3.4 conversion E46 M3......not all BMW's suck
http://photos.performanceix.com/viewPhoto.php?PhId=df4bab1681984fd7bca833040c2f207 e
http://photos.performanceix.com/viewPhoto.php?PhId=eb87d09749b586fe679b7d3441b271d 7

its a monster...these pics are from a few years ago. Its even better these days

belinko
02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Jumbo,

I think its great that you're keeping the car and that you're straightening out your priorities.

I too have decided to keep my car 4evar, hence some of my latest mods (suspension).

B5A4Kevin
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.kilander-racing.se/gallery/Pictures/338_2/PICT0367.JPG

this will spool, blow off, and eat your m3 alive.

ya bmw's arent all bad. this one is my all time fav, but as with all cars, theres just no substitute for boost.

btw, the grey roof flows a lot better than the doo-doo brown :D lookin good mang!

b5andm3
02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
dude im on stock boost. i know my car is slow as hell. sorry im poor, but id still rather drive a stockish audi than a bmw to compensate for something. and by the way, i bet your dick is so small, you piss on your nuts.

back to jumbo, glad you arent selling it.

Quoted for moronic statement of the month. You must have me confused for the latte sipping bmw driver. My car sees more track time (read real tracks, not 1/4 mile gayness) the you see women.

Until You've gotten sideways around a 180 at 7600rpms in a rwd car with no traction control you can't speak to me about what you would rather drive.

Thanks and have a good day.

And that black BMW appears to be a chopped up e30 m3. what a disgrace. Id give any car to own a mint, STOCK E30 m3.

Tifun
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Until You've gotten sideways around a 180 at 7600rpms in a rwd car with no traction control you can't speak to me about what you would rather drive.

SO FF lol. If this was done in your ///M3, I'm pulling the BS flag.

b5andm3
02-25-2009, 09:43 PM
SO FF lol. If this was done in your ///M3, I'm pulling the BS flag.

rwd car with upgraded valve springs sliding around turn on a track at redline in 2nd gear is bs?

Power-through.

Learn it. I know you awd guys are use to letting the car steer itself...

JumboBlack1.8
02-25-2009, 09:44 PM
I wish I was a moderator so I could close this shit.....stop acting like fuckin teenagers

Tifun
02-25-2009, 09:45 PM
rwd car with upgraded valve springs sliding around turn on a track at redline in 2nd gear is bs?

Power-through.

Learn it. I know you awd guys are use to letting the car steer itself...

I did read that wrong, thought it said 180 as in mph. And you aren't the only one who has had an M3, I've had more RWD cars than you've have girlfriends.

Tifun
02-25-2009, 09:46 PM
I wish I was a moderator so I could close this shit.....stop acting like fuckin teenagers
lol. i couldn't resist. i will stop though.

b5andm3
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
i enjoy these discussions. they get even better with the vw guys..

B5A4Kevin
02-26-2009, 01:03 PM
the bmw i posted started as a 330i. it got widebody treatment with a custom m3 kit and a stroked m5 s38 engine with a diesel turbo rigged up to it. they then upgraded to a proper snail from turbonetics iirc. output is a meager 875 rwhp and 1260nm tq. but watch out, youve got exhaust, susp, and a lwfw and lsd. your car is the true monster.

i want to apologize to you jumbo as well as the rest of the true AZers, for feeding the troll, but forced induction > N/A.

this is my opinion. it doesnt mean a 200hp turbo civic is faster than a ferarri. i dont care if you agree with me or not. i dont care if you think my car is slow. i know it is. i have a wife a kid and a lot of debt im working off. sorry my car isnt a 300 hp NA "monster" bmw track car. we should all be as cool as you. im done on this thread.

to everyone else weathering the financial storm, keep your chin up, and invest in time, family, and friends because thats what really matters.

jaustin
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I love the avant and happy to see you are keeping it.

A4Rob
02-26-2009, 02:10 PM
BMW's are better than any car ever created- period [:p]

Thats why I hang out on a Audi Forum....

b5andm3
02-26-2009, 02:51 PM
the bmw i posted started as a 330i. it got widebody treatment with a custom m3 kit and a stroked m5 s38 engine with a diesel turbo rigged up to it. they then upgraded to a proper snail from turbonetics iirc. output is a meager 875 rwhp and 1260nm tq. but watch out, youve got exhaust, susp, and a lwfw and lsd. your car is the true monster.

i want to apologize to you jumbo as well as the rest of the true AZers, for feeding the troll, but forced induction > N/A.

this is my opinion. it doesnt mean a 200hp turbo civic is faster than a ferarri. i dont care if you agree with me or not. i dont care if you think my car is slow. i know it is. i have a wife a kid and a lot of debt im working off. sorry my car isnt a 300 hp NA "monster" bmw track car. we should all be as cool as you. im done on this thread.

to everyone else weathering the financial storm, keep your chin up, and invest in time, family, and friends because thats what really matters.

You're an idiot.

JumboBlack1.8
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice, man! This has been the WORST time to graduate college and get hurt......it sucks. I sent out a boat load of resumes and applications today, so hopefully someone gives me a call next week [up]

dougyfresh
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Garrett GT3071r-wg with Custom machine 3" GT2871r Compressor housing (ssayzarc317's old turbo)

That is where it went. I was wondering where that turbo went.

Nebone
02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
That is where it went. I was wondering where that turbo went.

I wanted that turbo after feeling what it could do on Jakes old setup.

b5andm3
02-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Without getting this thread any further off track, I would like to apologize for my immature actions and comments. Theres a time and place for these kinds of discussions, this thread is not one of them.

Tifun
02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice, man! This has been the WORST time to graduate college and get hurt......it sucks. I sent out a boat load of resumes and applications today, so hopefully someone gives me a call next week [up]

Goodluck big time man. I've been doing the same. Although, I'm trying to do a career change in this crap economy. I suppose I'm lucky to be working, couldn't imagine being out of work.

JumboBlack1.8
02-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I wanted that turbo after feeling what it could do on Jakes old setup.

Yea, its a nice lil turbo for what my goals were. Unfortunately, I'm not running anywhere near as much boost as Jake's car can handle, but it pulls pretty good. Gotta work out some more kinks before I can turn the boost up......but I need a job before I can spend anymore money

Goodluck big time man. I've been doing the same. Although, I'm trying to do a career change in this crap economy. I suppose I'm lucky to be working, couldn't imagine being out of work.

Well, I really should be working right now....a few months ago I turned down some job offers at some shitty companies doing REALLY shit work for basically no money.....but it would've at least been SOME money in my pocket. Since the recession officially hit, I haven't even gotten so much as a phone call......needless to say, it's stressful.

Without getting this thread any further off track, I would like to apologize for my immature actions and comments. Theres a time and place for these kinds of discussions, this thread is not one of them.

Thank you for that. I don't mind a healthy discussion or debate, but the posts beings thrown around in this thread were just flat inappropriate on all sides....So thank you for the apology.

Tifun
02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
what is your line of business btw?

JumboBlack1.8
02-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, I don't have one yet, lol.....but I'm applying to Marketing/Advertising agencies around Boston. My plan is to work there for a while before possibly going to law school