PDA

View Full Version : Odd grinding noise/feel

AsidzA4
02-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Lately I've been getting this odd grinding noise in the morning or when my car is cold. It's especially noticeable when turning. It's not the same clicking type noise when your CV boot goes bad, its more of a constant loud hum and you can feel it in the steering wheel.

I did get my CV boots replaced recently as well as my break pads, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the issues I'm seeing.

Is it possible that something was done incorrectly with the previous work I had done? I am also on my stock clutch with 185k miles on it. I still need to check power steering fluid levels, so that might be somewhere to start.

I'm not exactly sure what approach to take with this, and I don't know of any reputable German shops here in AZ and can't afford to take it to a dealership for a diagnosis. If anyone has any feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

ChumbaWumba
02-20-2009, 08:49 AM
My s4 hummed when low on ps fluid

AsidzA4
02-20-2009, 01:34 PM
My s4 hummed when low on ps fluid

I'll be sure to check the fluid first thing after work.

Anyone else ever notice this issue?

djwimbo
02-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I did get my CV boots replaced recently as well as my break pads, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the issues I'm seeing.

Is it possible that something was done incorrectly with the previous work I had done?

Who did the CV's? If they removed the axle bolt it's possible it wasn't torqued down correctly, and now your wheel bearing is now suffering. The wheel bearing needs a certain amount of pressure to hold together during loaded operation, if you don't put enough torque through the bolt/bearing, the bearing will become loose and create your problem. The same is true if it's overtightened. Too tight will increase the friction, breaking down the ball bearings.

AsidzA4
02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Who did the CV's? If they removed the axle bolt it's possible it wasn't torqued down correctly, and now your wheel bearing is now suffering. The wheel bearing needs a certain amount of pressure to hold together during loaded operation, if you don't put enough torque through the bolt/bearing, the bearing will become loose and create your problem. The same is true if it's overtightened. Too tight will increase the friction, breaking down the ball bearings.

Is this something that would happen all the time when driving? What I notice is that after I've been driving for about 10 minutes or when the car is at normal operating temperature, the grinding feel and hum goes away.

PreLunatic
02-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Is this something that would happen all the time when driving? What I notice is that after I've been driving for about 10 minutes or when the car is at normal operating temperature, the grinding feel and hum goes away.

Sounds kinda similar to what started happening to me. On cold ass mornings it kinda makes a humming sound when turning, usually when i turn the wheel about 1/2 of a rotation, but after a good 10 mins of driving it goes away. Anyone shine some light? [:D]

EDIT
with this post I just moved up to three rings! go me!

djwimbo
02-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Normally a bearing noise will not go away. That must have slipped my mind when responding.

Video maybe?

Hum higher or low pitched?

Definitely check the P/S fluid, and make sure you ONLY use VAG P/S fluid. My '96 had the rack and pump replaced b/c somebody used the wrong fluid.

PreLunatic
02-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Normally a bearing noise will not go away. That must have slipped my mind when responding.

Video maybe?

Hum higher or low pitched?

Definitely check the P/S fluid, and make sure you ONLY use VAG P/S fluid. My '96 had the rack and pump replaced b/c somebody used the wrong fluid.

OP sorry to jack your thread but i think we have a similar problem. It makes the noise if the car is standing still also, if I turn my wheel about 1/4 left it will start this humming/buzzing sound, and only in that spot, if i turn more/less it will go away. I can hold it in that position and it will make that noise. Im sure my problem is something with PS cuz I can make the noise w.o even driving. Ill post a vid tonite if it aint to cold out.

Cecchini
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
I am having the same problem. The steering wheels kinda buzzes and the car makes a humming sound. I don't think that it is the wheel bearing because it doesn't get louder when you go faster but rather rpm dependent. The higher the rpm the more buzz. It sounds similar to a bad turbo. This started happening to me right after I put my summer set of wheels on. I made a thread but no real solid responses. I believe that I am low on PS fluid.

PreLunatic
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
I am having the same problem. The steering wheels kinda buzzes and the car makes a humming sound. I don't think that it is the wheel bearing because it doesn't get louder when you go faster but rather rpm dependent. The higher the rpm the more buzz. It sounds similar to a bad turbo. This started happening to me right after I put my summer set of wheels on. I made a thread but no real solid responses. I believe that I am low on PS fluid.

Yep something like me too. Hard to describe the sound. But seems like you got something like me too.

Cecchini
02-21-2009, 04:27 PM
There has got to be somebody who has fixed this problem. I will post up a video.

Cecchini
02-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Alright I got the video on youtube. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bweGlEzyqVc

I have another video that you can hear the humming when actually driving but youtube is still processing it. Hopefully I can get a few solutions before that. This problem is annoying.

PreLunatic
02-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Alright I got the video on youtube. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bweGlEzyqVc

I have another video that you can hear the humming when actually driving but youtube is still processing it. Hopefully I can get a few solutions before that. This problem is annoying.

PS fluid [:D] just fixed mine today. My PS fluid was so low the dipstick was not even touching it. Go get some OEM PS fluid and your good to go.

Cecchini
02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
^And yours buzzed when you were driving? Where did you buy the ps fluid? I saw it on ecstuning for $20 I think.

PreLunatic
02-23-2009, 11:45 PM
^And yours buzzed when you were driving? Where did you buy the ps fluid? I saw it on ecstuning for $20 I think.

yeh used to buzz like a bitch, and when you turn sometimes it would like grind. I bought it from a shop here, its an all German automotive shop, Audi/BMW/Benz/etc. They gave me the OEM PS fluid with all German writing and shit haha. I was surprised that, that fixed the problem cuz it seemed loud as fuck at times and didnt think that my PS fluid would cause such a bad sound. But first thing just check your PS fluid level, if its low, then theres your problem. Hope it does the job for you. Cruise out to an Audi dealership, im sure they got some PS fluid for ya. I paid $21.99 for a can.

arorem
02-23-2009, 11:48 PM
My car did the same thing not long after i bought it, it was just low on PS fluid, and since you said you can feel it in the steering wheel, i would say you need to change you power steering fluid

Sfinxs
03-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I have an 04 S4 and mine makes grinding noise as well when turning at low speed, usually when parking and usually when turning left. Now sometimes it makes the noise and sometimes it doesn't but when it does it's annoying as heck. Kind of like a humming noise. It seems the noise goes away if I drive for a while OR if it's raining.

I took it to the dealership twice but it didn't make that noise while I was there so they couln't diagnose the problem. Mechanic there check PS fluid level and it was full.

There is no noise when the car is idle, only when it's moving. My problem seems consistent with OP but definitely not same as Cecchini.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks fellous.