PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Audi A4 Aligning New Engine with Transmission HELP!!!

mikekirchner
02-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I am replacing the 2.8 12v engine in my 96 audi a4 and I am having a horrible time aligning the manual trans and motor back up. Is there a trick to getting these to snap back together. It looks as if the splines may have lines up a few times but I am not 100% sure. Even when I think they do there is still an 3/4 inch gap aroun the the tranny and engine. Any help would be great!

20vpower
02-19-2009, 10:56 PM
You gotta start a few bolts and tighten them down evenly. just make sure you dont pinch any wires

JK35
02-20-2009, 03:09 PM
do you have and are you using an alignment tool? everything clean? trans loose or is the engine loose? (which are you trying to put onto the other?) I find that if both are loose and you can use a couple pry bars to move engine and the transmission, it's usually easier to get it in there. when you have it aligned right it will go in fairly easily.

ghost6303
02-21-2009, 01:24 AM
i always put the transmission on the engine and then put both into the car, makes it alot easier. i would atleast loosen up the trans as said and drop it a little on a floor jack. that will give you some more room to get in there and bolt everything back up and then jack it all into place.