PDA

View Full Version : CEL....Coolant Temp Sensor?

witwer4444
02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Hey guys

my CEL came on yesterday for the first time since ive had my b5 (6 months) and I wasnt worried or anything because the car drove fine. I took it to Autozone last night and they scanned it with the OBDII. P1296 was the code : Fuel Metering Blah Blah. I looked around on vwvortex and many people on there had this code too but I couldnt find out what I need to fix this. Autozone cleared the light and it hasnt came on yet but I think I know what to do.

I am 90% sure I need a new coolant temp sensor. I got a quote today for $28for an OEM VW sensor (green w/ o-ring). This is OEM so I know it will work, but I want to see if I can get one cheaper. I went back to Autozone tonight and they have a Duralast green sensor for $6.99 w/ a 2 year warranty, but it doesnt have a rubber O ring like the VW OEM sensor does. ECS has it for $20. However, Do our cars need OEM Audi/VW coolant temps sensors only, or will this Duralast sensor work?

Also, if I purchase this, is there a DIY to replace this? I heard this is a PITA to do on 2.8's but I am pretty handy...

Again, the OBDII code was P1296, so if any of you have had this before then please just tell me if I am fixing the right thing (coolant temp sensor)!!

Thanks again guys

akielb
02-19-2009, 10:29 PM
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17704/P1296/004758

I would say stick with the audi/VW sensor

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng54.shtml

flyromeo3
02-20-2009, 06:31 AM
get the audi/vw sensor. I'd feel safer using an OEM product even if its 13 dollars more.

Its sort of a bitch getting at the sensor but one trick that I did was I removed the intake flex pipe and the coolant reservior and from the drivers side I was able to manuveur my hand to pull out the sensor. BTW, make sure to buy one of those sensor clips to hold it down. YOU WILL BREAK the one your removing if its been there for so long.

On your dash, does the needle on the coolant temp side act erratic? I'm just not sure why you would get a Fuel related CEL when that sensor has nothing to do with Fuel.

Unless im wrong? When my sensor went bad I never got a CEL for it. Just the needle would work at times.

JoBuNY
02-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Mine went bad last year and it was covered under the Audi Extended warranty letter they mailed to me. You could call your local dealer and ask them if you car is covered.

ILoveT
02-20-2009, 01:20 PM
I ordered from ECS. Works great!