PDA

View Full Version : Evil CEL

soccerstargt17
02-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Hey everyone,
this morning i experienced the CEL for the first time. It was only flashing for about a minute right after i started my car and i did notice that my car bogged a little bit especially in the lower RPMs. I do have a manual if that might have anything to do with it. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks a lot

eurotecknik
02-19-2009, 08:54 AM
What would help is the year of your car. Anyway, coilpack. Try disconnecting one while the car is running. Then if not connect it back and disconnect another coilpack. Try that and you will be able to see if your problem is a coilpack.

S4Lifer
02-19-2009, 09:16 AM
x2 on the coilpack..just switch them around to figure out which one is blown

soccerstargt17
02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Its a 2000 1.8t quattro. Is there a writeup on the coilpacks somewhere. I have not done much engine work at all so any help is greatly appreciated.

GetBoosted84
02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey everyone,
this morning i experienced the CEL for the first time. It was only flashing for about a minute right after i started my car and i did notice that my car bogged a little bit especially in the lower RPMs. I do have a manual if that might have anything to do with it. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks a lot

Problem is that you didn't even make an attempt to search.

This is covered almost daily.

[headbang]

GetBoosted84
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Its a 2000 1.8t quattro. Is there a writeup on the coilpacks somewhere. I have not done much engine work at all so any help is greatly appreciated.

Pull your plastic engine cover and you will see your coil packs. Find and replace the broken one and you are good to go.

soccerstargt17
02-19-2009, 11:58 AM
i got all questions answered. The only two i still have is where can i buy good coil packs? how do i know which cylinder is misfiring?

S4Lifer
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
you can get them from the dealer for like $30 bucks. To figure out the cylinder you can go to autozone and have them diag it for you.

Seerlah
02-19-2009, 02:18 PM
You need to get your hands on a VAG com because it will be an intermittent code which will tell you which cylinder is misfiring (if it is a solid CEL or MIL then you could scan it with any generic OBD II scanner). It is not always the ignition coil which causes misfires, but seems to be the #1 culprit (or the ICM for DBC).

cculos
02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
couldn't he technically just unplug one coil pack at a time with the engine running? If the engine bogs even MORE then you know that thats one pack functioning correctly. If you unplug one and it doesn't change the already-lacking performance of the engine, then you've got your culprit!

PreLunatic
02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
i got all questions answered. The only two i still have is where can i buy good coil packs? how do i know which cylinder is misfiring?

Go to your local autozone. Ask them to run your CEL. It will probably be like Cylinder 1or2or3or4 missfire. Take off the plastic cover. Pull the plug off the coil thats missfiring. Your car should not die out since that coil is already bad, if it does, then its a different coil missfire or you got other problems. Replace coil. Put plastic cover back on. Start car. Put on seat belt. Drive.

PreLunatic
02-19-2009, 02:36 PM
couldn't he technically just unplug one coil pack at a time with the engine running? If the engine bogs even MORE then you know that thats one pack functioning correctly. If you unplug one and it doesn't change the already-lacking performance of the engine, then you've got your culprit!

That.