PDA

View Full Version : pixel fix!

willowtreexx
02-19-2009, 06:58 AM
so this was posted over on the S4 forum and i was just wondering if anyone here used this company to fix our screens?

www.pixelfix.info

its based out of canada and only about $200 USD so i was thinking id give them a try since the dealership quoted me $1800 the other day.

there is an AWESOME write up on how to do it yourself

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263498

but requires some tedious solding that im scared to try.

anyone use this company though? reminds me of modulemasters.com for our ABS brain.

B5 Quattro
02-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I havent used them but all the guy up that have love them so Im guessin they are good. When Im ready that is the comp. Im gunna try.

karmad
02-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah they love him, was about to order but v-day came and went. He picks up and drops off(if local) and gives extra unit to be used right away if needed 24hr turn-around

black00A4
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Great guy, and he does awsome work. He fixed my screen, looks like OEM now.

hoganalley
02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
perfect. no complaints at all. Great guy to deal with.

willowtreexx
02-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Awesome! Sounds like i will be sending him my screen. About how long was your turn around time from the time you shipped it?

newtonc2001A4V6
02-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Here is another option (about the same price - I think it is about $235 including s/h):

http://www.dnaspeedometers.com/aud.htm

They quote a 1-2 day turnaround. I haven't used them, but hope to.

hoganalley
02-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Awesome! Sounds like i will be sending him my screen. About how long was your turn around time from the time you shipped it?

I'm local.....so for me it was 3 hrs. If you ship it to him, it would be 2 days. Ship it on Monday, you'll have it back Wednesday depending on your method of shipping.

Rickz96
02-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Here's another option as well. The website has not been updated however, they fixed my center LCD in Decemeber of last year and I'm very happy with the results. Total price was $93 for the center piece only. Turn around was about 1 week.

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/services/instrument_clusters.php

Fleet Admiral
03-23-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm holding off till modulemaster can confirm if they can transplant the COLOR LCD from '02 model A4s or 05-06+ A6-A8s with the red one.

I hate the damn red one. Why audi went cheapas with 2 versions instead of using the superior high res color one in all their models is incompetence supreme.

B5A4Kevin
03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
that'd be sweet to get the color DIS unit. the reason they went with the red one is because a full color lcd screen in 97-01 prolly cost an extra 2g's or something. plus they bought them all from nintendo after the virtual boy tanked :D

http://www.gameculture.com/files//tmp/mario-tennis-virtual-boy_219150510_std.jpg

willowtreexx
04-06-2009, 01:16 PM
i could play Regular Nintendo on my screen?! jking

flynnr
04-06-2009, 01:22 PM
i coudlnt... 95% of my pixels wouldn't show what mario is really doing... wtf audi fix this LEMON of a problem the right way (by standing behind it) maybe thats why nintendo sold them alllllllllllll DUH

jk its cool but any new news about colored screens?

Fleet Admiral
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
jk its cool but any new news about colored screens?
They were supposed to let me know last week but said they've been too swamped with repairs to get to testing.

What they stated is the color DIS is backlighted possibly by a flourescent whereas the red is LED on the board. Possible power/wiring/software issues to work out which might take a while.

But in '02 the A4 came with either red or color depending if you ordered NAV. Some without NAV came with color because they ran out of the crappy red displays. And even before then the A8 had color ones. Don't know if software plays much of a part but seems it should be a simple swap. And yes, Audi should have stood behind it, AND gotten rid of the ishty red displays since they have a damn COLOR HI RES one that should have superceded and been installed in the whole line. It's only fitting for a car of this class and cost to NOT use a display readout that belongs on an 80's wristwatch attatched to a greasy shadetree car salesman. I mean cripes, they even did it to the VEYRON with that cheap blue VW LCD, and the R8. If you're paying that much, it's only fitting to have a proper display regardless of its lowly function.

And from all reports searching through the forums, there have been NO pixel problems with the color displays which means they obviously used better construction or parts. Oh, and MM has gotten their hands on the OEM Siemens screens, not the asian knockoffs they were installing before with less than ideal results.

hoganalley
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
when I got my screen fixed I talked to the guy at Pixelfix about it and it's all due to CANBUS. If you don't have CANBUS, you can't do it. There were also a few other concerns, but basically, if you don't have a B6....no go.

Fleet Admiral
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
There were also a few other concerns, but basically, if you don't have a B6....no go.
D2 A8s from '00-01 don't have CANBUS or did they? Yet they have color DIS.

hoganalley
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
almost every Audi from 2000+ had CANBUS

Jurjen
07-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I just had my LCD fixed by Paul @ Pixelfix - great guy, very knowledgeable, had my car done in under 2 hrs!

walky_talky20
07-15-2009, 11:15 PM
My brother got his fixed at pixelfix while he was in the area (Canada). He even fixed his broken CEL (surface mount LED) for free while he was in there - the previous owner had purposely disabled it.

Oceanside
07-15-2009, 11:47 PM
well for us 2001 guys im very interested in finding out if we can upgrade to the color version

willowtreexx
07-16-2009, 07:01 AM
almost every Audi from 2000+ had CANBUS

i was told from 2002 on wan canbus and everything before that was NOT canbus. when i use my V-checker for codes i have to use the NON canbus mode for it to work.

witwer4444
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
hey guys

Kind of off topic, but does pixelfix repair just dead pixel lines, or do they also repair the fading issues that our LCD's suffer from as well? (high-heat)

chris164935
07-17-2009, 05:56 AM
I'm holding off till modulemaster can confirm if they can transplant the COLOR LCD from '02 model A4s or 05-06+ A6-A8s with the red one.

I hate the damn red one. Why audi went cheapas with 2 versions instead of using the superior high res color one in all their models is incompetence supreme.
Any updates on this?

walky_talky20
07-17-2009, 08:07 AM
hey guys

Kind of off topic, but does pixelfix repair just dead pixel lines, or do they also repair the fading issues that our LCD's suffer from as well? (high-heat)

Both my friend and brother got their clusters repaired by pixelfix. The friend has a 2001 S4 and had severe LCD fading issues on hot days. My brother has a 2000 A4 and had more than 50% dead pixel lines (horizontal) and the display was mostly unreadable. After repair, both clusters look brand new. He uses the real OEM LCDs to replace and they look 100% factory.

My display is still mostly readable so I cheaped out and didn't get mine fixed.

witwer4444
07-17-2009, 08:19 AM
how much does he do it for, $120? And how long does it take to ship out, get fixed, and get it back? Did u still drive without it in?

walky_talky20
07-17-2009, 08:30 AM
They paid $160, I believe. And both times the guys happened to in Canada for some reason or another. The S4 was dropped off at his place for about 3 hours. For the A4, just the cluster was brought in. It took about 3 hours including fixing the surface mount CEL LED.

There was talk of a possible discount if we brought multiple clusters, but we couldn't get that many together.

He told us he gets regular shipments from the US. He does prefer one of the shipping vendors over the other as it is a bit faster across the border. I think it was UPS, but I don't remember. I'm sure you could ask him.