PDA

View Full Version : pay off my car or fix random stuff?

burner799
02-18-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm a student and my car has a busted ABS module, control arm going out on the left side, and ripped cv boot on the right.

what would you do in my situation, pay about a grand towards the 3500 you owe on the car or throw a suspension on there, do all upper front control arms and tie rods, and generally fix shit.....

JoshDub
02-18-2009, 10:41 PM
fix shit. you will be more happy, at least i would be.

Poopie
02-18-2009, 10:44 PM
fix shit. you will still owe 2500 afterwords either way it off and still drive what you would feel is a hoopty cause of its condition.

go bare minimum on what you need to fix. fix the cv boot cause its only $20, and replace the single control arm. then buy an abs module from ap specialties. then spend the rest on the paying off the loan.

20vpower
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
damn you still owe 3500 on it??? im gonna have mine paid off in march [up]

im gonna say fix shit aswell.

burner799
02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
yea I bought it 3 years back on a 4 year loan. Got a year left I guess.

I might do vmaxx coilovers. what do you think justin?

a408
02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
buy my turbo. you will be happy[:D]

Blake260
02-19-2009, 06:53 AM
fix shit, no reason to spend lots of money at once toward a loan, only to have your car break even more later when you can pay it off in steps

20vpower
02-19-2009, 07:23 AM
vmaxx? i was thinking about it for 450... but then i convinced myself that i want stiffer and not just looks

somebody5788
02-19-2009, 05:59 PM
yea I bought it 3 years back on a 4 year loan. Got a year left I guess.

I might do vmaxx coilovers. what do you think justin?

You owe 1k less then a payed for my whole car...

Skidder
02-19-2009, 08:12 PM
If you depend on that car for a daily driver and plan on keeping it for a while, I guess you should fix it.

But it would depend on your loan rate... looking at it from a financial standpoint.

turbo kraut
02-19-2009, 08:31 PM
fix shit

there is a guy on here that will fix your abs modual for $50

rest of the stuff shouldn't be that bad either

i am looking at a clutch/turbo, tie-rod on both sides, cv on both sides, and alignment, as well as abs mod and other minor stuff

burner799
02-19-2009, 11:05 PM
I just pulled my ABS module out, been in contact with that guy just haven't had a chance to pull the unit out. Will be sending him yet another pm now and shipping out tomorrow.

Ordered H&R coilovers. Need to order tie rods and control arms from fcp groton on ebay when I get my paycheck on the 25th. I guess i'm fixing shit cause of your guys suggestions.

I hate paying for a car that has shit broken on it. time to get the thing back into good shape.

oh and somebody5788: I have had my car for 3 years now, and bought it for 10k with 50k miles on it. I also have a 1.8tqms and you have a 2.8, hence the price differences...

SeanF
02-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Im paying monthly for a car with no engine in it :)

but my garage has close to 475hp!

B5Burn
02-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Yes, as mentioned... depends on the finance.. are you being taxed on the unpaid balance? or is your interest amount already set? (meaning, will you owe more on the unpaid amount by delaying that payment?).... I suck at finances =)

If you need your ride, fix it... if it's only for leisure, pay it off first. Imho.

TQMB5
02-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Im paying monthly for a car with no engine in it :)

but my garage has close to 475hp!

haha i remember when you bought that car and you said you were going to take it easy, maybe just suspension wheels and a chip. I just glanced at your sig and laughed out loud. Whoever says modding is not the most addictive and expensive drug doesnt know what their talking about. You should have an update in the off topic area soon and fill us in on your car.

back on topic, do the cheap fixes, and take the rest and save it until you can afford to pay off the loan all at once. Just because you have it does not mean it needs to be spent right away! good luck

AudiRacerS4
02-20-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm a student and my car has a busted ABS module, control arm going out on the left side, and ripped cv boot on the right.

what would you do in my situation, pay about a grand towards the 3500 you owe on the car or throw a suspension on there, do all upper front control arms and tie rods, and generally fix shit.....

PM user KoMpressed he can fix your ABS module for you [up]

burner799
02-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Yea, I've been in contact with kompressed, will be sending him my abs today.

I'm a finance major, and it's really not about the interest rate. No, you do not get taxed on previous purchases, just predetermined interest amount. You get taxed when the car is sold, so taxing you on the amount you have left to pay off would be double taxation, which exists in some cases, but usually not for individual filers.

Anyways, I only had enough money to order all the parts. Now to see how much my mechanic is going to charge for installing everything.

Tie rod and control arms are a bitchhh.

drunknmunky408
02-21-2009, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=burner799;3395084]I'm a student and my car has a busted ABS module, control arm going out on the left side, and ripped cv boot on the right. QUOTE]

I might be able to get you an abs module if you are interested. I have a few audi parts car.

burner799
02-22-2009, 12:09 AM
[QUOTE=burner799;3395084]I'm a student and my car has a busted ABS module, control arm going out on the left side, and ripped cv boot on the right. QUOTE]

I might be able to get you an abs module if you are interested. I have a few audi parts car.

thank you, but my module is already in the mail for Kompressed. If for some reason he can't fix it, I will be in contact with you.