PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever change out a wastegate??

teeitty19
02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
i recently found out my wastegate was bad and bought a used one to replace it. Is there a way to change it out without taking the whole tubro off? anyone ever done this before?? thanks for the help

JumboBlack1.8
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey man....its Justin. The guy that sold you that spare turbo. Good to see you made it over to AZ.

Unfortunately, taking off the turbo is really the only way to get to the wastegate, since its essentially in between the turbo itself and the engine. There are a few tricky bolts to get to (the turbo-to-cat bolts and the one on the turbo brace), but unfortunately (at least in my experience) its the only way

Poopie
02-18-2009, 08:07 PM
is the flapper bad or the actuator?

teeitty19
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
hey justin good to hear from ya. im just trying to get ready for my install sunday. Im going to see how the condition of my turbo is and thought it might be easier to just swap the wastegate out if possible. I have a feeling that the turbo you sold me will be in much better condition than mine, and i will be swapping it out anyways. im still on the original turbo with 160k on it. i know i asked you before but do you have any idea how many miles are on the one you sold me?

teeitty19
02-18-2009, 08:19 PM
the flapper i would assume is fine. the reason i think its bad is bc i can put my finger on the actuator and slide it back and forth with no resistance at all. i tried to do the same thing on the new turbo/wastegate set up i just got and its not even possible to move it at all. it has to either be the spring or the diaphragm. agreed?

JumboBlack1.8
02-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Sorry man. I don't know exactly how many miles are on it, since the guy I bought the block from didn't have much information on it. he did say that the turbo had recently been replaced before the engine was pulled.