PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Issues and Questions

Serac
02-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Hello folks,

I have an alarm issue and was wondering if I could get some helpful info on. I recently purchased (6 months ago) a 1999 A4 Avant with 70,xxx miles, great condition and one clueless owner with no maintenance history on the car. The car runs great by the way and no work other than a timing belt change was needed. I was given only one alarm remote with flip out key. The previous owner stated that the alarm “just stopped working”. Now I think the alarm arms and works because:

-the red interior door light next to the lock flickers on and off (as it did on my 2003 Jetta and 2006 A4)

and

-when I lock it manually I hear a honk.

The alarm has never gone off in my presence and I’m stuck having to lock and unlock it manually. What are my options? I’d like to get an extra key and keyless entry. I haven’t attempted to change the battery in the key yet think I should start there?

Thanks in advance

njm23
02-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Well, you have to set up the remote to work with the car. For instance if you have 2 remotes, and one day your battery died in one and you needed to use the other one. The remote would not work until you set it up for the car. There is a write up somewhere, which is very simple to do. Try that and/or the battery in the remote to start.

Serac
02-18-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm confused.

NoTec
02-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Change the battery. Or you can go into Pepboys and test the remote. They have a display that tests the RF transmission strength of your remote to see if a battery change is required. If it tests out OK, then maybe you should look into recoding/programming the keyfob for your car.

Serac
02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Went to Auto Zone and tested the remote, didn't test out ok or blink when I aimed it at the display, just use a flathead to remove the back right?