PDA

View Full Version : Blew my engine today...

A4_2.8tuner
11-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Yesterday my lifters/rods started knockin a little, kinda sounded like a diesel truck. took it to my mechanic cause i work at a car dealership, and he told me that i should get it checked out. So i made an appointment today. I didnt drive it the rest of the day, but on my way to work today, i heard a big CLANK and my car died. My dad and i towed it to my work and another mechanic looked at it and said "yup, its toast"...the timing belt snapped at 64k. I just bought my car less than 2 months ago and this crap happens...doesnt make me too happy. LUCKILY i still had it under the Dealership warranty...for another NINE DAYS!!! Boy did i get lucky because my understanding is its gonna cost around 5-6k for parts/labor. I only have to pay 100 bucks out of pocket, so i get a brand new engine for 100 bucks...My advice would be to check your timing belt, even though you've heard that before...because you may not get as "lucky" as me. Looks like i'll be out of the game for about 2 weeks or so...

EugeneK
11-04-2004, 07:23 PM
audi recommends a timing belt change at about 90k, most usually get it taken care of at about 60k for reasons such as this.
glad to hear you lucked out.

Rieger_RS4
11-04-2004, 07:24 PM
you are a lucky man!

dukez
11-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Yes 60k is when everyone should have their TBs replaced. I remeber when I hit 60, paranoid every single time i drove it.

jones3000
11-04-2004, 07:26 PM
WOW! I just did mine at 85k. I was starting to get nervous. Sorry to hear, but gad to hear it's all under warranty.

Still Lost
11-04-2004, 07:37 PM
when should you change the replaced TB @ 140 I presume>>????

audispeed
11-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by jones3000
WOW! I just did mine at 85k. I was starting to get nervous. Sorry to hear, but gad to hear it's all under warranty.

yeah, mine was done at 87 k when i bought it by the dealer. i dont think i could have personally waited that long.

alen
11-04-2004, 07:50 PM
we should really take a log of all the people that have had their TB break before the audi recommended 90kmi and send them the data. maybe even send complaints to nhtsa and see what happens.

if we combine forces with AW and have all the people that have had their TB break prematurely that would probably be grounds for some action against AOA.

hear me, o mighty AZ.

A4_2.8tuner
11-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by alen
we should really take a log of all the people that have had their TB break before the audi recommended 90kmi and send them the data. maybe even send complaints to nhtsa and see what happens.

if we combine forces with AW and have all the people that have had their TB break prematurely that would probably be grounds for some action against AOA.

hear me, o mighty AZ.

hey i agree with ya...i mean i only have to pay 100 bucks out of pocket for this...but its a damn HASSLE!!! i will be without a car for AT LEAST 2 weeks. I feel like a damn middle schooler who cant drive, and its only been a few hours. I think we should get somethin going.

jones3000
11-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by audispeed
yeah, mine was done at 87 k when i bought it by the dealer. i dont think i could have personally waited that long.

I like living on the edge.[:D] I think it all depends on the car. The tech showed me my TB belt and tensioners. I could've waited till 90k. But then I would have been really nervous.

supraman786
11-05-2004, 03:11 AM
car hit 95k today...had no idea we had to replace the tb ... lol...i guess im gonna change it first thing... jus recently, car started to make funny noises....

fanuvbrak
11-05-2004, 04:41 AM
what do you expect Audi to do? if we point out that it should be changed to 60K, they'll issue a tech bulletin that adds a TB change at 60K as part of the maintenance schedule. right now, the maintenance schedule has the TB change at 105K.

so, if you're under warranty and you have more than 60K and your TB breaks, they'll say you should have changed it at 60K. Sorry, not under warranty and you'll be stuck with the TB AND the rest of the damage.

At least with the way things are now, if you have an extended warranty, you're protected against a TB failure. if you're not under warranty, change the TB right now.

Chaos
11-05-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by jones3000

way to late ;)

here in holland the dealers change it every 90.000km thats every 55.000miles.

Audimarc
11-05-2004, 06:05 AM
Doing it now.

A4_2.8tuner
11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
good idea...cause it'd end up costin you thousands later, if you dont have an extended warranty.

AKIDD'SA4
11-05-2004, 10:11 AM
fanuvbrak, you are exactly right....

matt719
11-07-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm nearly 90,000 and haven't changed it... maybe i should take out an extended warranty and hope for the best ;) Wouldn't mind a new engine....

A4_2.8tuner
11-15-2004, 07:27 PM
i found out today a bolt on the TB tensioner snapped, causing me to bend some valves. Looks like i dont get a new engine, because they just have to replace the bent valves and put a new TB and TB tensioner on, so i look to have my car back sometime this week which makes me happy. Kinda bummed i dont get a new engine now, since it only woulda cost $100, but at least its gettin fixed and i'm gettin a new TB and tensioner which woulda cost about 400 bucks.