PDA

View Full Version : The Avant just died

PHX_Avant
02-14-2009, 09:54 PM
So, I was driving the car down the street to get a movie, and as i was pulling into the parking lot, the CEL started flashing and the engine started stuttering. So I left it there, walked home and now I am very sad. I will have it towed on monday to a shop for diagnostics.[headbang]

I've just had all service done, incl oil change etc. Car has been running great, pulling very strong. Now its weak..

If anyone has any insights on this, let me know..

Its a saaaad valentines day in Phoenix AZ...[:(]

SykoraA4
02-14-2009, 10:03 PM
i think i had a similar problem with a coilpack issue.

rocky.ca
02-14-2009, 10:11 PM
had the same issue, replaced one coil pack, fixed :)

PHX_Avant
02-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Ive been reading now, and a lot of people talk about coil pack failures and how some of them catch on fire. SO I'm having it towed to an Import Shop on monday, hopefully they can replace the coild, sparkplugs and harnesses just to be safe...

s4buckeye
02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
VAG COM it. Can tell you what's up many times.

Jibberific
02-14-2009, 11:32 PM
i have a spare coil pack sitting around in my garage if you want to try swapping yours out to see if that's the problem.. i bet that's what it is. not very expensive to take car of. i was at work when you called me earlier.

mrbacardi35
02-15-2009, 12:36 AM
^^^i would do what he says and save you allot of money.

PHX_Avant
02-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Car got towed this morning, awaiting diagnostics results now... I am holding my breath!

jbrentd
02-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I hope it's just a coil pack. btw, a vag-com will pay for itself.

bob12312357
02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Same thing happened 2 me. Car started misfiring, then wouldn't rev past 1100rpm. Then jus died completely. COil pack baby

Seerlah
02-16-2009, 01:10 PM
You just experienced a misfire. You really don't need a mechanic to diagnose this issue.

-You can use the Autozone scanner (since I take it you don't have a VAG com) to see which cylinder is misfiring
-Clear the codes (CEL will go away till you get misfires again)
-Look up the code in the link provided if the Autozone scanner does not tell you the reason of the code http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

More than likely it is an iignition coil, which is a very common issue.

-Swap ignition coils from the cylinder that is misfiring from one that is not
-Start the car and wait for the misfires to return with flashing CEL
-Turn off the car and scan the codes again
-Check what the code says

More than likely the misfire is now moved to a different cylinder where you took the igntion coil from the cylinder that was misfiring. If that is the case that ignition coil is bad, simply replace that one ignition coil. Easy fix.

*If you have more than one misfire, then be creative with it (ie. if you have 2 cylinder that are misfiring and 2 which are not, move the 2 coils from the misfiring cylinders to the 2 that are not)