PDA

View Full Version : high, low or no silicone for huge boost + nitrous?

JK35
02-13-2009, 10:37 PM
High silicone or no silicone? what pistons do you use, how have they worked out for you and would you use them again/recommend them to others?

I am building my 058 AEB for high boost, multistage direct port nitrous and lots of abuse... I'm hoping to gain some idea as to whether or not I should proceed with the Supertech stroker slugs, order Ross, JE??? Wiseco?
I was even considering BME pistons (they make pistons, rods and wrist pins for many nextel cup champions as well as most NHRA/IHRA champions running 8000hp supercharged nitro fueled dragsters. their materials and products are second to none... BTW, Bill Miller Engineering LTD. has a website worth checking out... http://www.bmeltd.com/index.htm

basically, from what I understand, high silicone is for tighter clearances, and is quieter?
no/low silicone has better strength qualities???
Yup, it's safe to say I am clueless when it comes to piston metallurgy[confused]

I am trying to pull off a high 400AWHP street brawler that can see high 600's or even higher on the bottle.
what pistons should I use?

Pete@IE
02-14-2009, 11:58 AM
4032 is quieter, tighter, less thermal expansion, but more brittle.

For your application I would recommend a 2618 alloy slug from JE or whoever. The thing to remember is that it's called thermal EXPANSION. Just because it is loose / noisy when cold, doesn't mean it will remain that way when its warmed up. It does however mean you shouldn't hammer on it when cold or you will end up busting up your pistons.

We are going to have JE stroker pistons in stock here shortly.

mike-2ptzero
02-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Running JE's here and we went with Wiseco's in the B6 that put down 426-465whp on a 30r.