PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plate....??

witwer4444
02-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey guys

Well, last weekend I went for an oil change at Sparkle Quik-Lube because I had a tight schedule and my car was due for a change 500 miles ago. Anyways, of course, they took off my skid plate and showed it to me...

The funny thing is, I wasnt surprised. The skid plate was torn in the middle and the thing was barely hanging on to the car. I figured my skid plate was in bad shape so I just told them to throw it out, even though it physically wouldnt bolt back on. So, I left without a skid plate, which was nice because I was sick of having hanging plastic underneath my car (ugly)...

However, now I dont really know what to do because the both my dad and the guys at Sparkle said skid plates are worthless, but I feel like I should probably buy a new one because obviously audi wouldnt put them on if they were worthless. I have looked around and found one for $160, which isnt cheap, but I gotta do what I gotta due, right?

Now, my question is, and I hope you guys can help out

Do our cars really need skid plates? There are still a few months of cold winter left and then the rainy spring, so I need to get it soon if I do have to get one.

Also, if I do need to get one, do you guys know a good place to pick one up online? (certain OEM sites?)

I called an Audi salvage place in Arizona and asked them but they said none of their wrecked cars have skid plates because 1) there is no rain in AZ making a skid plate pointless and 2) all of their cars lost them when Oil change places took them off and never put them back on.

Also, on my way home, I heard a rattle underneath my car and I went to my buddies who was following me and we looked underneath. The metal bracket that holds the back of the skid plate on had popped out (the oil change place forgot to take it out). Now, obviously, this bracket is f*cked from banging and scraping the ground on the drive home. So, where can I get this bracket too?

Thanks guys for reading through this as I am clueless, I have heard you dont and do need a skid plate so I hope you guys have some input for me.

So, I guess what I really want to know is, Do I need a skid plate?

bassed
02-12-2009, 03:25 PM
It's a Belly Pan stock not a skidplate. It's for air flow and pulling hot air out of the bay more than anything. If you want a skidplate look at DieselGeek's(company).

witwer4444
02-12-2009, 03:31 PM
wait so, do i need a skid plate or a belly pan?

im pretty sure its the skid plate that was scratched up.

pipe7284
02-12-2009, 03:38 PM
It's not a skid plate. It's a belly pan. It is not necessary but if u want to get it for extra protection, go get it. I don't have one and don't need it. I work slot on my car so that's a step less that I have to worry about when I get under it.

sirmeeps
02-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Its called a belly pan(if its made of plastic) thats what bassed is saying. You dont need a belly pan really but if its ripped i would take it off, you dont need it, i dont use mine, you dont need a skidplate unless your really low like 23 3/4" fender to ground....

witwer4444
02-12-2009, 03:42 PM
hey thanks guys, I shouldnt have any problems though with the rain or snow. I do plan on lowering it a little bit in the spring, but i just want to make sure

bassed
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
hey thanks guys, I shouldnt have any problems though with the rain or snow. I do plan on lowering it a little bit in the spring, but i just want to make sure

No problems, none, zip, zilch, nada. I've run without for 5+ years in rain, snow (2 seasons in Tahoe). A skidplate will really only protect the pan from scraping if lowered immensly. A skidplate wouldn't have saved my pan last week even from the foot to the plow blade Penn DOT lost in my plowed lane, I would have actually gotten flat spotted on it and it would have pushed up on the block possibly.

Seerlah
02-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Just one thing to consider is all those little knicks on the belly pan from debris on the road (ie pebbles) will now have access to the engine bay. No real damage can come from it, just something to take into consideration.

SlipAngle
02-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I always run mine, I dunno but just knowing it decreases my drag coefficient by .003 is comforting[:D]

A4Rob
02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
I always run mine, I dunno but just knowing it decreases my drag coefficient by .003 is comforting[:D]

Dont forget to factor in the weight.[;)]

JaVa
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
i run mine. keeps it a bit cleaner under the hood. no real need for it tho

Wyo_A4
02-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Has anyone made their own skidplate thats stronger than the belly pan? My dad has a bunch of pretty thick aluminum laying around and my car never came with a belly plan so i've considered making my own but I don't know what to attach it to. Where does the original belly pan bolt up to?

witwer4444
02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
look around bro, the bolt holes should be visible

o ya, and if you do make your own, make sure to put some vents too to air it out or youll get extra heat that you wont want

just make sure your vent holes aim toward the back of the car so that water and rocks dont fly up into it when you are driving forward

GetBoosted84
02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
IMO if you are going to get one, spend the extra money and get the metal one from Diesel Geek. The plastic ones are worthless. Also, I don't run one on my car. Not really by choice. I took my car in to get the rear wheel bearing replaced a long time ago at Zygmunt Motors‎ and they decided to throw it away for me. @$$holes!!! I didn't notice until weeks later so I really didn't have a case to go back to them with.

No issues though. A little louder I guess but other than that, no noticeable difference.

adr3naline fix
02-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Im almost slammed. Running without a belly pan seems ridiculous to me! But you're probably a little higher

djwimbo
02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Here's a link to said "Panzer Plate", or Diesel Geeks website (http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=375)

It weighs ~13lbs IIRC. (might be 17lbs, I asked somebody on Vortex awhile ago)

Borden
02-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Here's a link to said "Panzer Plate", or Diesel Geeks website (http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=375)

It weighs ~13lbs IIRC. (might be 17lbs, I asked somebody on Vortex awhile ago)

I have one, gonna put it on soon and when i weighed it weighed in at 15lbs

djwimbo
02-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I have one, gonna put it on soon and when i weighed it weighed in at 15lbs

That sounds right, shipping weight was 17lbs, installed weight is ~>15lbs.

NK2007
02-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Personally, I don't know if i would ever buy a panzerplate. Its made out of really thin metal, and I've seen some people put rocks through it and into the oilpan. When i lower my car, I'll be making my own.

djwimbo
02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
When i lower my car, I'll be making my own.

that makes two of us, I just have different plans.

Castor Troy
02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
i can almost guarantee that removing the belly pan is going to negatively impact your high speed handling (read: 70+mph). not having the belly pan is going to create a high pressure area under the front of the car, creating lift and causing the car to feel light at higher speeds.

i cant speak to 100% certainty that this will happen in the a4, but i've experienced it on other vehicles with the front belly pan removed.

djwimbo
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
i can almost guarantee that removing the belly pan is going to negatively impact your high speed handling (read: 70+mph). not having the belly pan is going to create a high pressure area under the front of the car, creating lift and causing the car to feel light at higher speeds.

i cant speak to 100% certainty that this will happen in the a4, but i've experienced it on other vehicles with the front belly pan removed.

I'd be willing to try it out.

FWIW both my B5 A4's were/are stable at 130mph, one was stock and this one has sway bars, both did not have belly pans at any point during my ownership.