PDA

View Full Version : Leaky seal on driveshaft at transmission...

RippleChip
11-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Anyone had this?

My car was at a local shop up on the hoist and he noticed it, says it pretty common for them. Was awesome, they were doing the oil change so I was in looking around with them while working, sort of checked all the easy things to make sure everythings in order. He noticed this and the broken exhaust hanger (I already knew of this)

Luckily I already have an appointment at the dealership next week...time to add this to the list.

audlman
11-03-2004, 06:52 PM
i would know, i had new drivesafts put it before i got the car. or was it boots? i cant remember, the audi dealer in florida did it before they shipped it.

Daft
11-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by RippleChip
Anyone had this?

My car was at a local shop up on the hoist and he noticed it, says it pretty common for them.

So you're talking about the seal on the tranny where the drive flange exits the tranny? I haven't read much about that seal drying out or leaking. Perhaps it happens more on newer versions of the tranny. I've only had leaks on the drive flange seals of my rear diff.

The seal is cheap but, getting it out might be hellish. I don't recall if you can just remove the flange to get to it or if you have to breakdown the tail of the tranny to get to it.

WhippeD
11-03-2004, 08:54 PM
if that is the rear main seal it's kind of a bit(h...
cheap part...expensive labor...

jefferson88
11-04-2004, 05:00 AM
I have it on the back and I was also told it is common... its a very tiny leak though.

RippleChip
11-04-2004, 05:22 AM
Yeah where the drive shaft meets the tranny, the seal right there. It's pretty much right dead center of the car.

I have warranty so will let them worry about the cost...just don't want it leaking any more.

offroader1006
11-04-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by WhippeD
if that is the rear main seal it's kind of a bit(h...
cheap part...expensive labor...

usually when a mechanic says rear main seal, that means the rear seal on the crankshaft of the engine.(the one facing the tranny)

scoopo16
08-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Hey Mate,

I have something similar going on with mine at the moment, see the pictures attached. I dont know a lot about the mechanics of my car but from what I can tell my leak is from a seal between the driveshaft and the transmission/gearbox.

I've only noticed a few small puddles of oil on my garage floor, total quantity maybe around 20-40ml, my question is can I take my car for a 3 hr round trip until I can get it looked at by a mechanic next Saturday?

Help very much appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0pdqskadhs5vtu/2013-07-28%2017.08.31.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zikdmfwginq5ecd/2013-07-28%2017.10.04.jpg

Anyone had this?

My car was at a local shop up on the hoist and he noticed it, says it pretty common for them. Was awesome, they were doing the oil change so I was in looking around with them while working, sort of checked all the easy things to make sure everythings in order. He noticed this and the broken exhaust hanger (I already knew of this)

Luckily I already have an appointment at the dealership next week...time to add this to the list.