PDA

View Full Version : Possible Sludge Problem???HELP!!!

ECA4
11-03-2004, 01:48 PM
I read the post about the sludge issue/ recall on the 1.8 engines, and I was wondering if you think that the sludge might be the problem in my car.
First off, my oil light will go on whenever I drive the car (whether it be driving at normal speeds or on wot), unless my a/c or heat is on.
Second, when I drive my tempertaure doesn't always go between hot and cold, it tends to stay more toward the cold side most of the time.
Lastly, when I get out of my car after highway driving or opening the car up I smell what seems to be oil burning and when i pop the hood it's usually coming from around the turbo area.

TIA

Pureaudi
11-03-2004, 03:14 PM
mabie some oil has cooked in your turbo and has that smell...i dunno im just guessing.

ECA4
11-03-2004, 03:50 PM
My car only has 50,000 miles on it so i'm really hoping it's not the turbo already.

Pureaudi
11-03-2004, 03:53 PM
no dude, i dont think its your turbo, unless you have been beating the shit out of it, then not doing warm up and cool down processes.

ECA4
11-03-2004, 03:55 PM
No i'm pretty anal about it i'm, always warming it up and cooling it down. You think it might have to do with the recall?

Daft
11-03-2004, 04:30 PM
The oil light could either be low oil pressure due to sludge or due to a failing oil pump. Since the later part is very unlikely, you would need documented oil changes to get Audi to even talk to you.

The coolant temp is from a weak thermostat and it will take longer for the motor to warm up since it isn't closing when hte motor is cold.

The burning oil smell could be coming from many places. The most common places that can drip on the exhaust components are:

Leaky valve cover gasket - spills down onto turbine housing or cat.
Leaky rear main seal leak - splashes out onto back of flywheel and drips out of tranny onto exhaust pipe.
Leaky oil pan gasket - drips onto crossmembers and belly pan cover and ends up on exhaust while driving.

The oil light issue is a tough one though. What oil are you using right now and when was the last time you replaced your oil filter?

ECA4
11-03-2004, 04:46 PM
I just got an oil change about 1500 miles ago. I use Mobile 1 synthetic.

ECA4
11-03-2004, 04:48 PM
And how much is a new thermostat going to run?

SFexBOY
11-03-2004, 04:59 PM
have the car looked at asap if the oil light went on. I've heard of possible oil pump failures as being the case.

ECA4
11-03-2004, 05:05 PM
I've had it checked out on several occassions just not from an Audi stealership. The first time they said it was because my car burns so much oil that I have to add more oil around every thousand miles and the second time I was having a misfire in the 3rd cylinder.

Daft
11-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Ok, you need a thorough evaluation of your engine's health. You have listed about 5 different problems with it and it seems like you aren't getting anwhere like this.

You need to get the hooked up to a VAG-COM or dealership computer and check for error codes. You need to have someone track down your oil leaks. You need to do a compression test and possibly a leakdown test. And as SFexBoy said, you need to get the oil pressure checked out and see if the pump is making enough pressure to maintian good oil flow.

Either pay the stealership or go find a good german car shop with a reputation in the local area. We can go back and forth all day but, you need to have some inspection done first. Then bring us the results if you are unsure of what to do next.

This is the only way you're going to help the matter.

ECA4
11-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Ok i'm going ask a friend with a Vag-com to possiblly help me out

Thanks

Rieger_RS4
11-03-2004, 09:37 PM
It may very well be,

The teck told me they did cars with anywhere from 40k to 120k on the clock

ECA4
11-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Yea the only problem is that i bought the car used...do you still think they will give me a new engine, or even just fix the problem for me?

Rieger_RS4
11-04-2004, 10:08 AM
take it in and let them look at it. Also, make sure you have the oil change record for YOUR ownership of the car. How long have you had it?

ECA4
11-04-2004, 12:03 PM
I've had the car for a little over a year now...the guy who had it before me bought it from another Audi dealer not to far from my house. Maybe i should see if they could look up the records of oil changes from the origional owner.

jjjoe
11-05-2004, 09:29 PM
You might also check out the oil pressure sender. It is possible for that to go bad. The Audi dealer might have some service records for the car from the previous owner. Good luck.