PDA

View Full Version : Central Locking New Problem

mab9981
02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Alrighty guys, here is my first post.

I've been doing a lot of lurking and reading on the central locking.

I bought a 1996 A4 2.8.
The door locks did not work when i bought it and it did NOT come with a key fob.

My end result is to have keyless entry.

First i fixed i fixed a vacuum leak in the passenger door, then i installed a new CLP (the old clp had been corroded from water damage).

The doors now unlock and lock perfectly. The lights go in and out with the door locks and everything appears in tip top shape.

My next step i took was purchasing a key fob on ebay. The key fob is supposed to be correct. It has an audi symbol on it also so i don't believe it's a knock off.

That brings me to the problem.
We vag com'd the car and couldn't find a central locking module. It came back with 4 modules, but none regarding the locking system.

we tried to manual program the fob and that too did not work.

What are the chances that the car didn't come with keyless entry ability? Am i wasting my time?
Should i just go and buy an aftermarket system?

Thanks for the advice guys.

mab9981
02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
anything?

pepsicola0613
08-04-2011, 04:27 PM
On your back right passenger window you should see a sticker that says alarm on it. There are the numbers on it, can you put those numbers on here?

Aragorn
08-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Our '96 had a pump that wasnt remote capable and didnt have a diagnostic interface.

Very early cars had a pump with a part number something like 4A0.... and only have one vacuum line.

Later cars (~97>) had a pump starting 8L0 and these 8L0 pumps have two vacuum lines and a diagnostic interface. They still dont all support remote locking though.

Only a few specific 8L0 pumps have the remote interface, and afaik the 8L0 plugs are different to the 4A0 ones so they're not easily interchangable.

mab9981
08-05-2011, 05:17 AM
I still have the car but i quit fighting with this. for about 150 dollars i can get a keyless entry for it. This turned into a giant debacle. Here is the picture of the sticker: http://forefrontyouth.rolwc.net/alarm.jpg
I even called Audi and they really gave me no help.

Worst design ever. I even got the sheet on my car and it say it was equipped with "4K0 radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside."
and on audiforums i asked what that was and got no response, i'm pretty sure that is the alarm, which means the only problem i could have had is buying the wrong key fob.
Key fob i bought: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/imag0150.jpg/

I was told i might need a 2 button key fob like this: http://www.blackark.com/carpics/96keyless2.jpg

Which means if i truly do have keyless entry, i would pay another 100 or so for another key fob. then it's still a gamble on whether or not the transmitter works. So once again for 150 i can just have best buy install a keyless entry if i want.

I still have the keyfob for sale if anyone wants it.
Thanks for the response guys.

pepsicola0613
08-05-2011, 06:41 AM
with that number on the alarm sticker, it does not look like you have keyless....

mab9981
08-05-2011, 06:45 AM
what about the option code i hade? 4k0?

and pardon my ignorance, what does that sticker mean then?

pepsicola0613
08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
what about the option code i hade? 4k0?

and pardon my ignorance, what does that sticker mean then?

Don't worry, I'm new to the Audi stuff as well. But, from what I've read on hours of searching, there are certain codes on your alarm sticker that allow keyless remotes, and yours isnt one of them. I could be wrong, but i dont know for sure.