PDA

View Full Version : GT28r setup issues

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 08:00 AM
so i go to a shop, im doing a gt28r atp style setup on my a4, so im talking to the guys that work there and i tell them that i want to run my gt28r on my stock ecu and stock injectors, right away the guy is telling me that its a big no, no that i need the proper file and injectors to run my gt28r, and that the car wont even start with the stock ecu and injectors, but i dont agree because if i do run it on stock injectors and stock ecu its obviously that im going to run the stock 7 psi and no more. i just wanna run my car stock for a bit and then around summer time i will get bigger injectors and tune my car. And another thing when i bought my k04 setup with my k04 chip i was never told that i need bigger injectors, and with that k04 chip i was running way more boost then 7 psi on my stock injectors, so can anyone give me heads up on wat i should do?

njm23
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM
you shouldn't install something until you can get it tuned.. it will run on the stock ECU I am sure, but i wouldn't drive it. What is the point in having the larger turbo if you cant go past 1/4 throttle?.... stay stock till you can afford to do everything at once.

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 08:14 AM
so your telling me that i cant run that turbo at 7psi, so i guess the guys at atp dont know what there telling me cuz they told me its possible as long as i dont past 7 psi.

njm23
02-06-2009, 08:17 AM
it will run on the stock ECU I am sure, but i wouldn't drive it.

do you read? All i am saying is that i would not drive it around KNOWING that it won't be tuned. it is retarded to do, your ko3 would be as fast as this if not more since i would be afraid to go anymore than 1/2 throttle on it not being tuned. I don't understand your logic of installing a larger turbo but not getting theproper tune for it for a while. Just stay stock till everything is good to go, you won't get any real gains by putting this turbo on a stock tune/injectors.. just headaches probably.

Staggerlee
02-06-2009, 08:18 AM
so I Guess the guys at atp dont know what there telling me...

Ding Ding Ding.

andyrew
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
at 7 psi your still running way more airflow through your engine than stock. Bigger turbo, more airflow/ psi.

Better limit it to 4psi if you can. Or not even get in the boost.

Better yet just wait till you have the ecu and injectors.

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
the stock maf is a 2.5 right, i have the option to choose what size of inlet i want for the gt28r, so if i go 2.5 on my turbo inlet i think it shouldnt be to big of an issue, and plus how come im runing my k04 turbo on stock injectors and hitting 15 psi on my giac chip.

njm23
02-06-2009, 09:42 AM
dude, your not getting it! your ko4 was most likely running lean, but you wouldn't know since you most likely don't have a wideband. look at the flow of a ko4 and a gt28r. gt28r flows a decent amount more, meaning even at 7psi it is moving much more air therefor needing more fuel and a larger maf(BELIEVE most gt28r tunes run a vr6 maf or similar) along with the right tune

you are being very thick headed, clearly you are set on running this setup with stock injectors and stock ecu. All i can say is goodluck and I hope you don't fuck anything up, your not very smart for thinking it will be FINE.

A4tsleeper
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
You can run a stock ecu on it but 99% you will break something. They make a tune for a reason. I know jdm cars can do it but our cars are much more sencitive the jdm cars. Just save up for the tune.

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 10:11 AM
listen, you have your opinion, so relax and watch how you talk, your getting all pissed off for no reason, im asking simple questions, this is a forum everyone has their opinion so dont think that your the only one in audizine that can come on here and add your 2 sence like you know it all.

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
the money for the tune is not a problem, the thing is i want to get my car tuned by a shop i know, i dont really trust the tuned chips by big companys.

njm23
02-06-2009, 10:15 AM
haha man I am just trying to help you, and your just not willing to accept that the car wont run right.. You asked if it would be okay to run the setup on stock parameters, multiple people told you it is not but yet your still set on it. So why did you bother asking? NO ONE is going to tell you it will run O.K.

EDIT: just saw ur post. Here is what you should do in that case. Contact your shop, have them write you some sort of a "base file" based off of your exact setup as you tell them. that will handle the setup better so you can drive around in between tune. the base tune will let you drive safely, but most likely will have to be taken very easy. This is what I am doing, since I have to drive a decent while to get to the shop.

kf3506
02-06-2009, 10:30 AM
i agree with everyone here. Don't do it cause the risk of breaking something is too huge. I understand your thinking that since your stock injectors can handle 15psi on a ko4, what's 7psi on a gt28r. But dude, not all boosts are the same.

A4tsleeper
02-06-2009, 10:43 AM
You could flat bed it to your tuner or send him your ecu and get a base tune and just take it supper easy till you get to his shop.

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 10:47 AM
so what should i do, im thinking of getting the unitronic chip with the 440 cc injectors, and another thing i heard you can send the tune file to your stock ecu without a chip.

A4tsleeper
02-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I have herd great things about there tunes. They will reflesh your stock ecu.

Russell2686
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
listen, you have your opinion, so relax and watch how you talk, your getting all pissed off for no reason, im asking simple questions, this is a forum everyone has their opinion so dont think that your the only one in audizine that can come on here and add your 2 sence like you know it all.

your just all cranky because everyone is telling you what you don't want to hear.

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
who are you, keep your stupid coments to your self, seriously.

GetBoosted84
02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
your just all cranky because everyone is telling you what you don't want to hear.

lol, let him run it with the stock ECU & injectors. It's his call. But I will say this... audi_a4_turbo, when you are parting your car b/c the car carves a huge gash in the cylinder wall can I have dibs on your cylinder head :-)?

In all seriousness, those guys are right. Don't run your car with a larger turbo even at lower boost levels. Since the two turbos are not even in the same ballpark in terms of size, flow, etc it would be an extremely bad idea.

And back to the topic of your old k04 setup running on stock injectors. They have files that run the k04 on stock injectors so I don't find that too hard to believe. Although I would be interested to see logs because I think you were more than likely running a bit lean.

Also on the topic of chip tuners, I would highly recommend unitronics for the GT28 setup. I run their 415cc injector mafless file now and my logs look great. I'm really happy with it. You could also buy my old maf-based tune preinstalled in a ecu for a GT28 setup and then you can just pop that on and go (assuming you have an 01).

So to re-cap, start getting the parts together now, run a compression and leakdown test on your car and then install everything all at once. Much safer and less broken parts tears.

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 12:07 PM
no i got a 2000 b5.

boostedup
02-06-2009, 12:19 PM

x2......one ringers [rolleyes]

Russell2686
02-06-2009, 12:19 PM

just a guy who is laughing at your dumb ass posts

GetBoosted84
02-06-2009, 12:50 PM
no i got a 2000 b5.

k, don't use my ECU [>_<] but still DON'T run that turbo on the stock ecu / injectors. My opinion is that if you want an excuse to rebuild your engine then go for it. Otherwise do it the right (safer) way.

audi_a4_turbo
02-06-2009, 01:55 PM
sure cuz your a looser with nothing to do dumb ass

MOtown A4
02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
why did you even bother posting a question if you're just going to argue with everyone here. quit trying to find a way around it and do it the right way. obviously you're not getting it despite your mechanic and everyone here telling you to NOT run the stock software with stock injectors on your new setup. swallow your pride and just do what everyone is telling you. you'll thank us in the end.

ghost6303
02-06-2009, 02:30 PM

if you dont like their opinions then you can leave. they know what they are talking about and you clearly dont. stop attacking people and name calling those who are answering your questions with accurate information and who get annoyed with you when you disregard what they have to say.

its your car do what you want with it. if you just want someone to tell you its ok to run that turbo, here you go:

its perfectly fine to run that turbo without any tune what-so-ever. you definitely wont run lean and detonate and snap a rod or blow a hole through a piston. you totaly wont have any problems. i hear the tornado intake improves gas mileage also. good luck [up]

Seerlah
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Do it properly the first time: High Flow Manifold, Injectors, Tune, Intercooler, TIP, Oil&Coolant lines, 3" Exhaust, and hit 20+psi like this [drive]

EDit: To the OP, you will need a tune and bigger injectors for proper air:fuel mixture. Otherwise, kaboom.

bob12312357
02-06-2009, 03:29 PM
TO the OP.
Theres a big diffrence between opnion, and fact...

Poopie
02-06-2009, 10:29 PM
to the OP, you should be building your turbo set up AROUND your tune since you aren't doing something custom and crazy. You are in canada so Chris Tapp and Unitronic should be your first options.

speedydragon
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Can't believe that you guys are still being so nice to him after his stubborn responses to everyone else.

OP, I'm not sure why your k04 tune doesn't require larger injectors, because if I recall correctly from some data logging graphs on B5s, a chipped k03s is already pushing the OEM injectors near the limits. Also, if I recall correctly, most k04 setups recommend that you use TT 225 injectors with the K04 tune. I have a feeling that right now, your car with the k04 setup is just barely quicker than a chipped k03 due to your usage of stock injectors.

AudiRacerS4
02-06-2009, 11:09 PM

how old are you? 7? [rolleyes]

GetBoosted84
02-07-2009, 05:48 AM

Who was that directed at?

Don't be a dick, people are trying to help you.

bassed
02-07-2009, 06:36 AM

Types all this on me iPhone as I tide to work in Saturday, ignore spelling and grammer errors;)
Hi I am Ian. Seriously stop being daft! Everyone is telling you the harsh reality, if you with your idea you will face a plethora of possible and 100% unavoidable problems. Do you read the forums? Search or have a ounce of general logic in you? Seriosuly. Who am I I told you already and when you look on UNI's site I am the at they boothed all last season, I spent copious time on their dyno custom tuning. If you don't realize it yet you soon will, power and reliability and a properly functioning car are a result of tuning.

I nominate you as the first candidate for supreme daftness of 2009.
I nominate you as a pompous, stubborn little little shite, clueless, reading disorder laden and or the inability to listen when you don't hear or read what you want, a$$hole, Fvcking jackass and last but not least your a noob.

Please run 100% stock with this I will paypal you 100.00 dollars to run it at 10psi on video for 30 minutes straight. If end up in Montreal in a months time and my car is not totalled from my recent accident I will meet up and film this myself. The 100.00 I'll pay you won't cover shipping and the cost of new rings, yet alone rods and pistons or the new block you will need from the damage you will cause. Go look in the build section if you think I am full of shite and keep in mind several BT people have all reiterated the same comments and thinking because it's what is on point and any tuner will tell you. Call Mike at Uni of Chriss t Eurodyne/Ctapp or Joe at Axis or Javad at 034 or Auston at GIAC or Tony at EPL or Mark at ASP. Yeah if you post a thing after this you better be appologizing to those you bashed prior or you better be admitting error and being wrong, it's a sign of maturity.

audi_a4_turbo
02-07-2009, 10:54 AM
honestly i appreciate everyone thats trying to help me out, thanks guys, the reason why im rude to some people is because some people arent helping out, by posting stupid comments and more and more people keep saying stupid shit that has nothing to do with my post, so honestly if you guys have nothing to say about my issuse just please shut up and keep your dumd comments to your self, if you wanna help out please post.

audi_a4_turbo
02-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I nominate you as a pompous, stubborn little little shite, clueless, reading disorder laden and or the inability to listen when you don't hear or read what you want, a$$hole, Fvcking jackass and last but not least your a noob.

see wat im saying stupid fuking people like this should shut there fucking mouths you dumb fucks, like i said keep your fuking comments to your selfs, dis is my post, and no i didnt say that to you getboosted84 i said that to this member who had nothing to say but a stupid comment (rusell2868)

bassed
02-07-2009, 11:01 AM
honestly i appreciate everyone thats trying to help me out, thanks guys, the reason why im rude to some people is because some people arent helping out, by posting stupid comments and more and more people keep saying stupid shit that has nothing to do with my post, so honestly if you guys have nothing to say about my issuse just please shut up and keep your dumd comments to your self, if you wanna help out please post.

As simple as this can get.

Stock fueling and ECU programming matched with a GT28 =

1) lean
2) high high high high EGTs.....hmmmm from running lean
3) performance is lost due to requested timing differences and the ecu not adapting properly (because it would be stock if you do what you want to do).
4) you will most likely get massive throttle cutting I'd suspect as well as the ecu would be adapting and protecting your motor from the inevitable damage you will be creating
5) not enough fuel for the flow even at 7psi (GT28 will flow a considerable amount more than a K03 and it's impossible to determine just how much, as you want to do something very under the tubro's efficiency range)

Do we need to belabor over this more or are you convinced now? We can keep this going and you will soon be the laughing stock of the entire community. This post will be linked to every forum and you will be the jacka$$ of 09'. [rolleyes]

see wat im saying stupid fuking people like this should shut there fucking mouths you dumb fucks, like i said keep your fuking comments to your selfs, dis is my post, and no i didnt say that to you getboosted84 i said that to this member who had nothing to say but a stupid comment (rusell2868)

LOL go back and read it all you twit. Then read what I just wrote above. Please put your email up, I'll paypal you today and we can see a lovely kaboom on film when you go through with this as you'd prefer and not as recomended by the intelligent and experienced ones.

Would you like me to have Mike Z from Unitronic of Chriss Tapp call you directly? How about Todd from AWE? I mean it's saturday and all, but I'm sure as soon as I call them they'll laugh and call you up to straighten you up on your thought process.

audi_a4_turbo
02-07-2009, 11:02 AM
honestly you guys are so fuking hirting, you guys have no lifes, you guys are so concernd when its not even your fucking car. do something with your lifes besides being on audizine all day.

audi_a4_turbo
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
i agree with you guys didnt i post up saying that wats the best thing i could do , whats the best software and injectors to use on my setup, but no everyone is to concernt about saying stupid comments.

audi_a4_turbo
02-07-2009, 11:06 AM
your fucking hirting, This post will be linked to every forum and you will be the jacka$$ of 09'. and wat will you be fuck face.

audi_a4_turbo
02-07-2009, 11:15 AM
no one see's that certain members arent even talking about the post, there just quik to say stupid shit that has nothing to do with the post.

bassed
02-07-2009, 11:26 AM
no one see's that certain members arent even talking about the post, there just quik to say stupid shit that has nothing to do with the post.

I've given you more information than you should need, I've been on point and giving you facts. You slung the verbal crap, so you get treated like the twit you are prooving yourself to be.

kf3506
02-07-2009, 11:31 AM
How can you expect a nice reply when everyone is trying to help and wham! you started saying people's opinions stupid and all..

We are on here not because we don't have a life. It's to see if our experience of having an audi can help when there's someone out there crying for help. We've all benefited from this forum, so just want to give something back. So be nice

AudiRacerS4
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
honestly you guys are so fuking hirting, you guys have no lifes, you guys are so concernd when its not even your fucking car. do something with your lifes besides being on audizine all day.

your fucking hirting, This post will be linked to every forum and you will be the jacka$$ of 09'. and wat will you be fuck face.

I'll ask my question to you again since you might have skipped over it the first time...how fucking old are are you? You sound like a complete douche bag first off and secondly it looks as if you have no understanding of the english language or proper grammar either so go take the sand out of your vagina before you come on here asking stupid questions and then bitching when you get the answer you don't want to hear, cry me a fucking river [=(]. Are you that thickheaded to not understand what everyone here is telling you? If so I'll make it a bit easier for you to contemplate; YOU CANNOT RUN A GT28R ON THE STOCK ECU AND FUEL INJECTORS

I'm gonna say /thread but the OP will probably come back posting up remarks in his 7y/o AIM lingo and make himself look like an even larger douche nozzle.

Seerlah
02-07-2009, 12:28 PM
i agree with you guys didnt i post up saying that wats the best thing i could do , whats the best software and injectors to use on my setup, but no everyone is to concernt about saying stupid comments.

People on this thread are simply telling you what you should do to your vehicle not because that is what they would do to thier vehicles (but they would), but simply because it is the proper way to install a BT without messing up your engine. If you run that turbo on your stock ECU and injectors, you are going to mess up your engine.

Question: What is the brand name of the turbo?

If I were you, I would upgrade the clutch. At least to a Stg 2, but Stg 3 would seem ideal for that turbo. Not needed, but your clutch will eventually go.

I would save my money and get a cheap ebay front mounted intercooler (proven effectiveness). Throttle body inlet pipe to handle the extra pressure (APR, Neuspeed, 034, Samco, etc), High Flow exhaust manifold (I do not know any other name brand high flow t25 manifold other than ATP), Oil&Coolant lines, some kind of exhaust upgrade because you will choke that turbo, and the rest would mainly depend on what tuner you go with (GIAC, Eurodyne, Unitronic, Neuspeed, etc) as they will recommend what MAF and injectors to run with. Only thing left after that are bolts, gaskets and fittings which can add up to a pretty penny.

JMG
02-07-2009, 02:12 PM
audi_a4_turbo please use the quote button so we know who you are replying to.

On a side note this thread is done.