PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Service => dirty MAF?

Skylinedc505
11-02-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm at 77k and I'm getting my timing belt, water pump, accesory belts and timing belt tensioner changed out. However, the mechanic called me up and told me the car starts holds idle for a second and revs drop and the car dies.

He told me tje VAG-COM threw a code about the MAF, so thought maybe it was just the timing and redid the timing belt and still does the same thing. I tried it myself and he doesn't lie.

So my question is... is it a dirty MAF or what? My car never had any problems whatsoever, why now does the MAF decide to get dirty or die altogether? And should I blame the mechanic?

SFexBOY
11-03-2004, 05:40 AM
if it threw a MAF code...my guess would be to change the MAF.

offroader1006
11-03-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by SFexBOY
if it threw a MAF code...my guess would be to change the MAF.

Jesus, you'd make an expensive mechanic, lol.

this is why they have OBD2 with freeze frames and sensor info, so you can trouble shoot the problem, and figure out why it happened, not just throw a part on it and possibly have it happen again to the new part.

if this guy is a good mechanic, it shouldnt be hard for him to figure out what's ailing the MAF, sometimes trash on the things cause them to not function properly.

Skylinedc505
11-03-2004, 12:06 PM
They cleaned the MAF and cleaned the spark plugs but still no go... they can't seem to figure it out and nor can i...

The timing belt was changed again... the car can start and then dies and the water light comes on... no CEL oddly enough...

any ideas?