PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how to open my hood?

SFexBOY
01-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Someone backed into my car either last night or this morning....and didn't bother to leave a note.

Bent my hood, grill, and scuffed my bumper.....now I can't open the hood. Looks like they backed right into the latch area.

Ideas? I tried using a screwdriver to bend the latch, but don't really know what else to do. Thanks

http://i42.tinypic.com/v7bbs9.jpg

njm23
01-24-2009, 01:56 PM
well, is your grill fudged? If so, rip it out and just un-bolt the whole latch assembly.

SFexBOY
01-24-2009, 02:02 PM
well, is your grill fudged? If so, rip it out and just un-bolt the whole latch assembly.

thats the thing...i'm trying to salvage the grill since it seems the only thing cracked are the rings. I really don't wanna spend $200 on a new one. I bought this new in 2003 for $70.....i can't believe how much they cost now.

fawk.

njm23
01-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I would say just be very careful and try to get the clips form the outside. It is possible to do it while breaking very few. My grill has 3 broken clips/tab things and holds fine. Something to think about.

Other than that I would say have you tried going under the car and hitting the latch over to unlock it with a crow bar? I know you said it was bent, but worth a shit if you have not already.

SFexBOY
01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
I would say just be very careful and try to get the clips form the outside. It is possible to do it while breaking very few. My grill has 3 broken clips/tab things and holds fine. Something to think about.

Other than that I would say have you tried going under the car and hitting the latch over to unlock it with a crow bar? I know you said it was bent, but worth a shit if you have not already.

yea i was a little unsure how the latch popped out. I kinda was able to peek in thru the side, and noticed the latch dips down, up and thru the grill. I wonder if i can hook something around it and pry it away from the grill. I think thats where its getting stuck on.

adr3naline fix
01-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I think your best bet is to wrap a crowbar with a shirt, and try to bend your hood back to normal curvature. I doubt you'll be able to use the long screwdriver method to release the hood from underneath.

Siena
01-24-2009, 02:34 PM
You can't get to the latch from underneath.

From memory, it's sealed off from the engine side, you'll have to somehow get the grille off, and reach the catch from the outside.

biketsai
01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Maybe unbolt your front bumper, get a nice hammer and give the hood a wack to bend it back out.

njm23
01-24-2009, 03:44 PM

From memory, it's sealed off from the engine side, you'll have to somehow get the grille off, and reach the catch from the outside.

false, I popped my hood to many times to count from under my car with a long crow bar.

Anyway's, you got a good amount of ideas. now try some out!

SFexBOY
01-24-2009, 03:52 PM
thanks for all the ideas fellas! I'm gonna pull the bumper sometime this week and mess with it. Thanks agian!

adr3naline fix
01-24-2009, 03:59 PM

It is very easy actually