PDA

View Full Version : AEB Coil Pack Upgrade Options?

ZacharyWS
01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I keep punking coils in my 97 A4 AEB. What are the options?

Right now i have two and a quarter working OEM originals with 155k on them i keep swaping them around with a friends stock turbo car but for some reason my car loves to eat them up.

Dallas09
01-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Mine were swapped with S4 coilpacks. Im not sure exactly what all needs to be changed because i think the connector might be a little different, and im not sure if the power output stage changes too. Sorry im not more help because i dont know much about it, but there was a website about doing this that i found on google, i just cant find it.

pac1085
01-24-2009, 06:35 AM
Mine were swapped with S4 coilpacks. Im not sure exactly what all needs to be changed because i think the connector might be a little different, and im not sure if the power output stage changes too. Sorry im not more help because i dont know much about it, but there was a website about doing this that i found on google, i just cant find it.

I highly doubt it. Are you saying this because your coil packs say "S4" on them? All AEB coil packs say "S4" on them - it has nothing to do with the S4.

There aren't really any upgrades for the AEB coilpacks unless you go with some expensive aftermarket (not worth it) solution.

AEB coil packs rarely fail compared to ATW/AWM. It's usually the ICM on the AEB that fails.

I see that you're in rochester... I think I have 4 extra ones laying around somewhere.

D's Avant
01-24-2009, 06:38 AM
I highly doubt it. Are you saying this because your coil packs say "S4" on them? All AEB coil packs say "S4" on them - it has nothing to do with the S4.

There aren't really any upgrades for the AEB coilpacks unless you go with some expensive aftermarket (not worth it) solution.

AEB coil packs rarely fail compared to ATW/AWM. It's usually the ICM on the AEB that fails.

My AEB coil packs are going strong at the 10 year mark. Mine say S4 on them as well. On my second ICM though.

AudiTurbo
01-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Mine are going on 11 years strong!!! +3 on ICM, cause I have had to change that!

.Mad Hatter.
01-24-2009, 07:27 AM
12 years here...haha

mike-2ptzero
01-24-2009, 07:32 AM

I see that you're in rochester... I think I have 4 extra ones laying around somewhere.

AEB and ATW coils rarely fail, it is just the coils on the AWM that fail. I still run the stock ATW coils on my car.

Dallas09
01-24-2009, 01:30 PM

I guess im mistakin then. The reason why I assumed this is every other A4 ive seen had coil packs that were just pressed in and had not markings on them but now that I think about it all the engines ive seen in person havent been AEB like mine. My ICM was replaced though before I owned the car.

mike-2ptzero
01-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah the push in coils are in the 2001+ A4 1.8t.

Jeff
01-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Just get rid of the ICM completely and upgrade to ATW+ coils.

ICM Delete Project: http://www.audigeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=3181

InTTruder
01-25-2009, 03:30 AM
Get 4 new ones (up to the R series now) and be done with it.

Jeff
01-25-2009, 04:04 AM
Get 4 new ones (up to the R series now) and be done with it.

AEB's use the older style harness, as well as a separate ignitor (ICM).

creechsa4
01-25-2009, 09:04 AM
listen to Jeff, he knows what he is doing! i'll be on that project shortly. sick of my aeb crap packs.

bonesaw
01-25-2009, 01:51 PM
i got a few extra sets of coils if anyone is interested