PDA

View Full Version : Blown coilover

willowtreexx
01-20-2009, 07:07 AM
So i was just wondering if i have a blown coilover or not? The other day when i had someone sitting in my back seat i started hearing a clunking noise coming from the right back. I took everything out of my trunk which was just a shovel andni still hear it. Its not the seatbelt and i dont have anything else in the car. I only hear it over larger bumps and not the small ones. It seems to be getting louder as time goes on

Could this be a blown coilover or how can i test for one?
TIA

willowtreexx
01-20-2009, 07:10 AM
I should probably add that they are H&R and im only halfway down at about 24.80 inches ground to fender.

Papachristou
01-20-2009, 07:48 AM
i would say unlikely but why dont you just jack it up and look? ive been riding slammed at 24" fender height tucking all four for two years on some of the worst roads in the nation and my stasis have held up just fine.

TighTT
01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Any noticeable change in ride quality or cornering ability??

AudiA4_20T
01-20-2009, 08:02 AM
the car would be a little lower on that specific shock

willowtreexx
01-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Any noticeable change in ride quality or cornering ability??

No but it has been really cold and snow covered roads so its hard to really tell

JumboBlack1.8
01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
My Kw V3s have been making more "noise" recently too, but i've jacked up the car, checked and tightened everything, and I'm still getting knocking occasionally. However, mine seems to only happen when its REALLY cold, and before the shocks warm up (i guess). After a minute or two of driving, the sound goes away.....it is making me nervous tho. V3's are expensive....

Howard Hughes
01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Could be a control arm and/or bushing....

kampfer
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
jeez must be pretty common, I have some strange knocking noises also and I've jacked it up tightened and re-tightened all control and suspension components and I still get it once and a while like over bumps or quick turns not sure what it is and to tell you the truth I'm getting worried something is going to go one day while I'm driving. I also took it to a mechanic to take a look he wasn't able to find anything either.

JumboBlack1.8
01-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Yea, I'm likely gonna replace the control arms and bushings when it gets warm......winter sucks

kampfer
01-20-2009, 09:45 AM
you know that's what I was thinking the drastic weather changes here in CA. deserts at we get down to 25-30deg in the day up 80deg in the winter must do a number on bushings and what not

JumboBlack1.8
01-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Yea, the fact that it goes away after a minute or so of driving leads me to believe that the daily bitter cold weather is taking a toll on the bushings....I wish I could garage my B5 during the winter and drive some sort of AWD beater for the winter.....I haven't been able to wash or clean my car in months, haha

kampfer
01-20-2009, 10:00 AM
oh man I hear ya I think I'm just going to go ahead and put up with the cold and wash my car

1NaudiA4
01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
i would say unlikely but why dont you just jack it up and look? ive been riding slammed at 24" fender height tucking all four for two years on some of the worst roads in the nation and my stasis have held up just fine.

how the hell does Memphis have some of the worst roads in the country? it doesn't even snow there