PDA

View Full Version : Serious Problem... ABANDONED AUDI!

Conte
10-29-2004, 11:02 AM
Whats up everyone..
I was driving to utah from cali, as soon as I got about an hour away from provo. The car will no longer accelerate.

Then we slowly coasted untill we stopped, and will not start. It wont even crank. The battery light did come on when this was happening on the dash. But thats it, lights are fine, no dimming. Volt's are fine. WTF?!?

I checked all fuses and they are fine also. If it was the bat. why would no other electrical device have 0 problems, not even fade.

and what would cause the car to die like that.

Coolant temps = great
oil temps = great
no check engine lights and did a self check with no luck either.

SOMEONE HELP WTF?!?

TIA
Nick

skene
10-29-2004, 11:05 AM
maybe your alternator went...

dont know.. have a garage check it now..

Audimarc
10-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Alternator for sure.......

Conte
10-29-2004, 11:11 AM
If my alt. went out then it would run on my battery. Then my battery would die. I've had it happen before.

But the battery doesn't appear to be dead. Headlights are full bright and everything?!?

I think I forgot to mention that it wont crank. It doesnt have a dead battery sound either, and all power is working fine.

I have an 01 and it was raining, coil pack?

Its to far to take to a garage, and im experienced enough to take care of whatever is wrong, im heading back up today.

Thx for the help

Nick
01 1.8tqm

skene
10-29-2004, 11:13 AM
yeah but if you cant restart your car....

and power needs to be constant to run... the battery cannot power up the whole vehicle.

The battery is only used for starting the car.. and powering when the vehicle is not running... everything other than that its all on the alternator.

Conte
10-29-2004, 11:28 AM
I dont mean to argue, but it just doesnt make sence.

I am reading old posts of people with alt. problems and they all say the same thing... After the alt gave up, it started running off the bat and the volts went down. More or less the battery died and they had no power. Could it be a shity battery not being able to push what the car needs to run.

This doesn't make sence either.

Im so lost.

skene
10-29-2004, 11:31 AM
cant help you... we cant diagnose your vehicle through posts.

jefferson88
10-29-2004, 11:32 AM
yeah but the car will run off of the battery when the alternator doesn't work. If it was the alternator I would think that you would have had a battery light before the car died. Well before the car died. My Girlfriends car did this a few days ago and I knew right away that it was the alternator. Her battery light was on for three days before she told me about it.

Conte
10-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Exactly my point.

If the battery died, would the car still run w/ just the alt?

With the key set to start I have about 11.9 volts thats pretty low.
This is pissing me the f*ck off... I have had 0 problems relating to the bat with no warning. All of a sudden it stopped working.

Thx for helping me brainstorm...

Same problem over on audiworld and no resolution...
"http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2053395.phtml"

derek2079
10-29-2004, 12:10 PM
are you in utah or ca? and where exactly? i need to loot your shit

Conte
10-29-2004, 12:12 PM
haha I moved to cali about a month ago and I'm down to drop my dog off with my girl. Its stuck right before scipio and im in Provo.

derek2079
10-29-2004, 01:38 PM
haha. well i am in provo. if you need any help lemme know

derek2079
10-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by derek2079
haha. well i am in provo. if you need any help lemme know

just let me grab random parts off the car as payment

quattroanillos5
10-29-2004, 01:43 PM
gas?

Conte
10-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Ok, So i have been out all day.

Its not the bat or alt. I brought a new bat and the same thing. Tried to jump it and the same thing.

I checked timing belt and when i try and crank it, it doesnt move.
Bingo.

So, i know that this happens if the crank sprocket strips the timing belt. But my car has 48k wtf?!?

Could it be the starter? why would a dead starter cause my car to die?

any ideas?!?

Thanks guys

SeanF
10-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by quattroanillos5
gas?

this may be a duh kinda thing, but how many miles had you had on that tank? maybe the gas guage was off if you were say in the mountains?

alen
10-29-2004, 11:27 PM
the only reason your car wouldn't even crank would be either your battery drainage or your starter.

if your alternator went the engine would draw power from the battery until it's drained but that would include the bat. light and all the lights would dim. also your voltage indicator would not be showing almost normal voltage.

that rules out the alternator (although it would be just the voltage regulator, not the whole alternator) so i would assume that your car wouldn't crank up because your starter is bad.

you can check if it's your starter by measuring out the voltage at the starter and see if it gets the 12 volts. if not then it's your wiring or more possibly the ignition switch. in that case you can short a wire from the positive terminal to the power lead on your starter and crank the car up with the key in the on position. however this bat.-starter connection should be on for just cranking up your car which is around 2 seconds and should be disconnected immediately when/if your car starts. however this is the extreme case so you could safely get home if this is the case.

if the starter is getting the 12 volts that you measured then it's quite possibly the solenoid in the starter which you would need to replace or fix at a mechanic.

btw, did the car turn off while driving or when you stopped?

alen

AudiSnawb
10-30-2004, 07:03 AM
That happened to me when I had a Subaru outback... Altenator went..... Cheap fix on the outback... only cost about 150 for the part... and I did it myslef, on the A4, just quadruple the price and im sure it will be about 5 hours labor at your friendly Audi shop :)

derek2079
10-30-2004, 07:09 PM
prly a fuse lol

bitterchild
10-31-2004, 12:50 PM
not alternator, not battery. Test power feed and ground to the starter. Can you roll/push start? You need to figure out if its the starter that won't function or something else. Most likely it is not an engine issue due to the fact that there is no drop in voltage during attempted cranking and that there is no cranking or work sound at all. A seized engine will still dim everything and drop voltage on the entire car while the starter attempts to break itself.

Summary: Jump test the starter. If the car is a long ways out, it would be worthwhile to get a junkyard starter and just go out prepared to R&R it. I'd also bring some solder and a new ground strap and/or power feed from battery to starter if possible. You've probably got an open in the circuit somewhere. If not, it's starter related. Probably a short in the brushes.

4ingDrive
10-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Rereading your initial post makes me think it's the ecu and/or the ignition switch.

Conte
10-31-2004, 11:33 PM
So guess what...

I checked the timing belt.. and it is stripped. It was my timing belt...

AT 48k!!!!!
I'm going to call audi in the morning and raise hell. I'm so upset right now, I dont even know what to think

derek2079
11-01-2004, 12:04 AM
wow. you gotta be ****ing kidding me tb at 48k thats a joke. let me know what happens that is ridiculous. i would be ****ing irate

Conte
11-03-2004, 09:43 PM
so back in cali, i am...

Got a call from the shop. Est. $3100.

They have to pull the head off to make sure what valves are bent and things. But **** this.

EVERYONE CHECK YOUR TIMING BELT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The car has 48k and was not abused. I'm no idiot, and have ripped apart many motors. I wish it was here so i could just do it myself... I want to cry im so upset right now... I wish i still had my eclipse.

[:(]

derek2079
11-03-2004, 09:58 PM
hmm umm 3100 dont do that buy a tb kit for 450$ and have a shop put it on for another 300.00

Conte
11-03-2004, 10:07 PM
two words man... bent valves

Chaos
11-04-2004, 12:19 AM
won't pay the audi-dealer this repairs?? i mean the timing belt has to be changed every 55k so it's rediculous that the timing belt breaks @ 48k !