PDA

View Full Version : Radio on the fritz?

PeTTey
10-29-2004, 07:52 AM
Weird...the Audi Concert (2002) radio in my car just "died" yesterday afternoon!?

Started the car and nothing. Now the REALLY wacky thing is that it is still sort of back-lit and that STAYS ON even long after the car has been shut off!!

I thought it might have drained the battery by this morning but it was OK. It's still on....anyone??

ncttrnl
10-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Pull the radio fuse, count to 5, and then put it back.

You'll have to unlock the radio again with the code in the front of your radio manual but that will handle it.

Do it soon so it doesn't drain your battery.

ncttrnl
10-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Oh... the radio fuse is listed on the inside of the fuse box cover.

PeTTey
10-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks!!

It took me a while to find the damn panel where the fuses are!! :)

It's a 20a fuse and it doesn't look blown...I actually didn't pull it yet since I was waiting for my dealer to call me back...still no word. I'm worried that there is a short somewhere since there is still a little-backlighting happening???

Should I just go do it...I don't have my manual to unlock the radio with me.

PeTTey
10-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ncttrnl
Pull the radio fuse, count to 5, and then put it back.

You'll have to unlock the radio again with the code in the front of your radio manual but that will handle it.

Do it soon so it doesn't drain your battery.

Thanks Bud!
Yup...it sprang back to life as soon as I put the fuse back in. Of course now I have to wait to get home for the code to unlock it
but at least it's not dead.

Why would something like this happen in the first place???

ncttrnl
10-29-2004, 02:04 PM
There was actually a software bug in the radio I think. If you are still under warranty I think there was a service bulletin on it to get a new head unit.

Mine has only done it once in 3 years and 80K miles of ownership so its up to you if you want to ask the dealer about it.

Hutash
10-31-2004, 03:45 PM
The radio in my 2002 went dead and was replaced under warranty. So much for Bose quality.

ncttrnl
10-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Hutash
The radio in my 2002 went dead and was replaced under warranty. So much for Bose quality.

Bose and stock are the same. They are both made by panasonic as far as I know. The difference is in the speakers and the amp and the coding on the head unit.

The only thing you get with bose are tuned paper cones and more of them.

If I had known that at the time, I wouldn't have thrown down the 1500 to get it.

ncttrnl
10-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Hutash

Bose and stock are the same. They are both made by panasonic as far as I know. The difference is in the speakers and the amp and the coding on the head unit.

The only thing you get with bose are tuned paper cones and more of them.

If I had known that at the time, I wouldn't have thrown down the 1500 to get it.

PeTTey
11-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Well...that was definitely it. Radio works now but is it worth replacing the head unit in your opinion..it's still under warranty I believe??

As far as the Bose upgrade goes...it would be interesting to A/B two TT's with and without to see the difference.
It's probably not that big but I heard that the system is tuned for the TT's interior shape and volume specifically...I dunno![:p]

Maybe 1500 bucks could have gone to a better head but would that have worked with another CD changer and center display also?