PDA

View Full Version : whistling alternator? & bolt from turbo to exhaust mani

thenofjboy
01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
For some time my car "whistles" when i 1st turn it on. I thought it was warming up, which it still maybe. I only hear the whistle around 2800-3100rpms, nothing higher or lower.I thought it was the turbo warming up, as i dont hear the whistle sound as i drive more. eventually it stops after 5-15min but sometimes it doesn't. Today i started it up and it was whistling from the get go. I revved it a lil from the TB and it sounded like the alternator was the thing whistling. does this mean its going bad or warming up.....?? Sometimes even after i think the whistle has faded, i turn down the radio and hear it but its fainter & its around the same rpm.
when revving it up and listening and looking, i notice one of the 3 bolts from the exhaust manifold to the turbo was loose, pretty much jingling around when i rev it. obviously im just going to tighten it up and maybe put a lock tight washer on there. is there anything else i should be worried about?
TIA :)

djwimbo
01-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Alternators often make a high pitched whistling noise. Depending on how loud it is, depends on how much you should be concerned.
Otherwise the whistling can be a sign of the rectifier bridge failing, thus increasing the A/C voltage output of the alternator(BAD).

The bolt to the turbo could be a simple fix, but if the previous owner or his tech put too long of a bolt in like mine did, it's a problem. It was bad enough to crack the turbine housing and cause a large exhaust leak.
I would recommend trying to remove the bolt before you try tightening it. My bolt broke off after ~1/2 a turn in. Yay... K03s install time... for me at least, you're rockin the K04, so it could be just an install error.

Like this?
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/12/web/2964000-2964999/2964519_12_full.jpg

thenofjboy
01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Alternators often make a high pitched whistling noise. Depending on how loud it is, depends on how much you should be concerned.
Otherwise the whistling can be a sign of the rectifier bridge failing, thus increasing the A/C voltage output of the alternator(BAD).

The bolt to the turbo could be a simple fix, but if the previous owner or his tech put too long of a bolt in like mine did, it's a problem. It was bad enough to crack the turbine housing and cause a large exhaust leak.
I would recommend trying to remove the bolt before you try tightening it. My bolt broke off after ~1/2 a turn in. Yay... K03s install time... for me at least, you're rockin the K04, so it could be just an install error.

Like this?
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/12/web/2964000-2964999/2964519_12_full.jpg

the whistling i heard was the 1st time ever because i only used to hear it when i was driving & hit the noted RPM above--Ill have to keep an eye on it & maybe just end up replacing it sooner than later..
my bolt is the one the closest to the airbox & this isnt the 1st time it has come close. i got some lock tight (blue) for my rear sway, maybe ill put a little in there & go from there..
thanks

djwimbo
01-14-2009, 06:13 PM
i got some lock tight (blue) for my rear sway, maybe ill put a little in there & go from there..
thanks

Blue lock-tite won't work that well in a high heat application. Red would work better, but it's worth a shot.

You could try a lock washer, otherwise I believe 034MS offers a plate that has tabs you can bend to prevent those bolts from moving.

... like this... (http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_33&products_id=1329)