PDA

View Full Version : Shifting getting a little notchy.

Fizikal S4Avant
01-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Shifts are not feeling as smooth as they used to. Sometimes it almost feels as if it is clicking into gear. What is this a sign of? Thanks in advance.

RamrodA4
01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
[confused]yeah same here...

Scotty@Advanced
01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Which gears? 1-2? If you have a 6 speed then it's probably the syncros are worn or shift collar is buggered and soon it won't shift at all!

Fizikal S4Avant
01-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Good info. I would assume this would be covered under warranty? It does it in 1st 2nd and 3rd.

JOS4AUDI
01-18-2009, 09:29 AM
wow my b7 s4 does the same thing. Its 1st 2nd and 3rd and for a while it was hard to get into reverse i finally took it into the dealer and they fixed the synchros and reverse works better.I was driving it the other day and 1st 2nd and 3rd are still hard im thinking when i have time i will take it back.please keep me updated.

jessefrank
01-22-2009, 01:54 PM
One thing to check is the fluid level. I've experineced this myself on my 5spd. Just refilling it to the proper level made a huge difference for me (since I had a seal leak and lost .5 quart or so). I've also heard of a overfilling the trans by just a little helps smoothness too and I'm actually getting some more Redline to try this on mine.

Quite a few people on AZ say that switching fluid helps shifting too (Redline MT-90 or Motul Gear 300)...but I just did the switch to Redline MT-90 and my shifting is acutally harsher with the new fluid than stock blend filled to the proper level [confused] .

VMRWheels
01-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Notchy shifter could come from the kind of tranny fluid you are running. Each manufacturer has a different viscosity even if it is labeled the same.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com

handyvorb
02-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Umm, I take it you guys tried adjusting the shifter first? No? Spec for the 6-speeds is the shifter pushed ~2* to the right on the X axis (sometimes more is better) and centered on the Y axis. Play with the adjustment, and see how it feels.